What was Lucas's original Plan for Ep. 7?

Quetzalcoatl

I honestly believe that we'll either get Episode X-XII or a spin off trilogy that doesn't have a Skywalker bloodline that will primarily be a Rey vehicle that'll incorporate the NJO story beats but just gotta get through the next two years to really get a sense of what the story committee has in store.

For a brief moment in time (still plausible), I honestly expected Snoke to be a harbinger of a bigger galactic threat that would eventually spin off from the main saga and was purposely established in the story of this sequel trilogy to weaken the galaxy further for the arrival of a Vong like military force. I don't think any of the EU should be taken off the table in terms of what they could use later on down the cinematic road.

I really like this idea. Having Snoke and the Knights of Ren be only part of a much larger threat further distinguishes these antagonists from the Sith which, so far, do not appear that different. I wanted the villians of the sequel trilogy to have more of their own identity. As it is, there's really nothing seperating the new villians from the old ones other than their titles. The sequels come across as kind of lazy in this respect, just recycling the same traits, even superficial ones (black robes, red lightsabers, etc.) that have come to be associated with the sith. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be nice if the films did something to further set these new antagonists apart from the old ones. If anything, it would make the extermination of the Sith look like more of a meaningful event.

While all of that is true, Disney will play the safe bet. As much as I'd like to see a new, more interesting threat, nothing will secure a guaranteed return like the iconic, black robe wearing, red light saber wielding bad guys. Be they Sith or 'Sith' by another name.

It'd be interesting if dark and light side had to unite against a threat that was superior than both.. but I think it unlikely.

Sure, you can have a brand new threat attack the galaxy, leaving all the empire problems behind, as well as the sith. But is it even star wars? Just have a bunch a heroes with laser swords fighting the aliens if whoever. No need to continue the SW storyline. Just make a new franchise altogether

Guest El Chalupacabra

I honestly believe that we'll either get Episode X-XII or a spin off trilogy that doesn't have a Skywalker bloodline that will primarily be a Rey vehicle that'll incorporate the NJO story beats but just gotta get through the next two years to really get a sense of what the story committee has in store.

Assuming Rey isn't a Skywalker or Solo, I agree. But if she is, I think we may still see an episode 10-12.

If Disney and Lucasfilm follow the MCU example, they will probably make as many Star Wars films as they can until it's not profitable. From a business standpoint, they'd be foolish if they didn't.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Because Disney likes to keep things locked down, we probably will never know what Lucas's version of episodes 7-9 would have been, but what strikes me is a lot of what was being said in the 1980s ended up coming true, or not all that far off.

Funny, they're fairly open about the process of their animated films, even in modern times.

Another thing we probably will never know is what Lucas himself thinks of the sequel trilogy

He wasn't all that complementary when he let his guard down in that Charlie Rose interview.

Yeah, I forgot about the white slaver comment. That was a pretty bizarre thing to say. Then he did his apology tour, so I doubt he will be very open in the future, though.

As for being open, I was referring specifically to Star Wars. They have really kept things locked down tight when it comes to Star Wars films details, especially Episode 7. Leaks may happen here and there, but it was not for a lack of trying.

With that said, I enjoy the Prequel trilogy for what it is: The Phantom Menace is a good Final Fantasy story with lighsabers and the force featured; Attack of the Clones would be the greatest Ed Wood film ever made (it's atrocious); Revenge of the Sith is a decent but severely flawed chapter. The Force Awakens is a great mix tape of the OT aesthetic with a great complex villain that should have been Anakin in the prequels. Rogue One, debateably, is the best film of the franchise since Empire. Also, Rian Johnson is the best filmmaker to ever touch the franchise and will likely deliver the best Saga chapter since Kershner. And... Rebels isn't terrible.

I'm done.

With that said, I enjoy the Prequel trilogy for what it is: The Phantom Menace is a good Final Fantasy story with lighsabers and the force featured; Attack of the Clones would be the greatest Ed Wood film ever made (it's atrocious); Revenge of the Sith is a decent but severely flawed chapter. The Force Awakens is a great mix tape of the OT aesthetic with a great complex villain that should have been Anakin in the prequels. Rogue One, debateably, is the best film of the franchise since Empire. Also, Rian Johnson is the best filmmaker to ever touch the franchise and will likely deliver the best Saga chapter since Kershner. And... Rebels isn't terrible.

I'm done.

I agreed with you until you said R1 was the best film since Empire. They have similar dark styles so that just makes me think you prefer those films and that maybe the rest aren't necessarily bad.

There are people who swear up and down that Empire is great, but ROTJ for them is a return to true SW form started in ANH and is their favourite.

My guess though is that you'll enjoy TLJ and it'll fit the style you like from R1 and ESB.

But say RJ is the best person to ever touch SW? You haven't even seen the film yet. Now personally I am banking on that TLJ is gonna be my fav SW ever, but I can't say for sure until I saw the actual movie.

To continue the 'is the PT good or bad' convo that won't die, I just think all the prequel complaints in this thread are, for me, such necessary things for the overall saga.

Forget Padme being an action hero in ROTS. Leave that to Rey. No need for everything to be consistent, either. It goes will all the legend of SW being passed down and us as an audience having a good laugh at how generations in a galaxy far far away can't get their story straight as they pass down history. We gotta hate the PT a little, because it's just the first act. We gotta hope for better as we progress through the whole saga.

The only scare for me is future generations of kids not having enough patience with the PT to get to the OT and beyond. However if they loved the PT, it could only get better for them as they go along, right?

I'm done.

I agreed with you until you said R1 was the best film since Empire. They have similar dark styles so that just makes me think you prefer those films and that maybe the rest aren't necessarily bad.

There are people who swear up and down that Empire is great, but ROTJ for them is a return to true SW form started in ANH and is their favourite.

My guess though is that you'll enjoy TLJ and it'll fit the style you like from R1 and ESB.

But say RJ is the best person to ever touch SW? You haven't even seen the film yet. Now personally I am banking on that TLJ is gonna be my fav SW ever, but I can't say for sure until I saw the actual movie.

To continue the 'is the PT good or bad' convo that won't die, I just think all the prequel complaints in this thread are, for me, such necessary things for the overall saga.

Forget Padme being an action hero in ROTS. Leave that to Rey. No need for everything to be consistent, either. It goes will all the legend of SW being passed down and us as an audience having a good laugh at how generations in a galaxy far far away can't get their story straight as they pass down history. We gotta hate the PT a little, because it's just the first act. We gotta hope for better as we progress through the whole saga.

The only scare for me is future generations of kids not having enough patience with the PT to get to the OT and beyond. However if they loved the PT, it could only get better for them as they go along, right?

Why would it scare you that future kids won't watch Star Wars? Who cares? They will have their own thing to watch. Do you think our dads were like "oh man my kid doesnt like westerns, he like Star Wars, this sucks!" No, they were just happy there was something we love. Future generations of kids will have plenty to watch and love.

I'm just going to roll my eyes at the, "You like it because it's dark." No, I liked it because it was the first ****ing competent Star Wars film made since 1980. Jedi was a mediocre final chapter that is near Attack of the Clones level bad that's held up and defended by fans because of rose colored nostalgia.

Also, have you ever bothered to watch a Rian Johnson film? Get back to me when you do: he's vastly superior as a writer and director compared to Lucas, Kershner, Abrams, and Edwards. The dude is an auteur. He's not Nolan or Aronofsky but three features in, I was confident with his announcement that he'd write and direct VIII and the marketing has continued to inspire hope that we're going to get the first legitimate classic from this franchise in 37 years.

You completely missed the key phrase in my statement about Rogue One: debatable. As far as I'm concerned, the real OT trilogy starts with Rogue One and runs through Empire. Jedi is just a tacked on, necessary ending that's really just a mess until Luke, Vader, and the Emperor come together. If it wasn't for the third act, Jedi would be a completely terrible film. If you still like Jedi, that just speaks for low brow taste. You probably enjoy the Bayformers flicks and enjoy robot scrotum jokes.

Low brow? Tacked on ending? You're creating a new thread of debate here separating the OT into two camps: R1-ESB and ANH-ROTJ

ROTJs opening is all about our heroes. It cemented them into being true everyday heroes instead of a bunch of kids with beginners luck blowing up a Death Star. You're forgetting the real Star Wars, which is the OT all about Luke Leia and Han and ROTJ was integral in seeing them come of age. You seem to be in this other camp of people who want the OT to be all Clone Wars nostalgia. You need R1's Vader to be canon where people like me see a more EU-like Vader. You're probably one of those people who think the PT should've only focused on older Anakin and change things all around to make it fit Obi-wans monologue in ANH. It's not fair that you decide what SW should be for the rest of us. You probably think there shouldn't even be a green saber. You're missing a whole SW universe that people like me live in, where it wouldn't be SW without let's say the max reebo band. At least I'm grateful to have outings with Ewoks and as well as tragic endings where all the heroes die.

Low brow? Tacked on ending? You're creating a new thread of debate here separating the OT into two camps: R1-ESB and ANH-ROTJ

ROTJs opening is all about our heroes. It cemented them into being true everyday heroes instead of a bunch of kids with beginners luck blowing up a Death Star. You're forgetting the real Star Wars, which is the OT all about Luke Leia and Han and ROTJ was integral in seeing them come of age. You seem to be in this other camp of people who want the OT to be all Clone Wars nostalgia. You need R1's Vader to be canon where people like me see a more EU-like Vader. You're probably one of those people who think the PT should've only focused on older Anakin and change things all around to make it fit Obi-wans monologue in ANH. It's not fair that you decide what SW should be for the rest of us. You probably think there shouldn't even be a green saber. You're missing a whole SW universe that people like me live in, where it wouldn't be SW without let's say the max reebo band. At least I'm grateful to have outings with Ewoks and as well as tragic endings where all the heroes die.

I mean, if you want to get picky, I don't think Star Wars has been Star Wars since 1980. If one wanted to be really critical, there hasn't been a great Star Wars film since Empire and it's been a corporate cash cow since Jedi. It didn't end when Disney bought out Lucas...

So I had to look at your quote and type it verbatim since my work computer doesn't seem to work with the auto-quote feature, nor will it let me copy-and-paste on this forum. Weird. How'd I do?

Anyway, that's fine if Star Wars is just a cinematic universe to you, consisting of only the films that have been released. To me, it is much bigger than that, and the films are not my favorite part. Therefore, it didn't even matter if the prequels sucked. This is Star Wars to me, and this is what is now gone, replaced with something else.

Others may feel differently, and I've heard the arguments and respect them all; but this is how I feel.

While all of that is true, Disney will play the safe bet. As much as I'd like to see a new, more interesting threat, nothing will secure a guaranteed return like the iconic, black robe wearing, red light saber wielding bad guys. Be they Sith or 'Sith' by another name.

Sadly, this is true.

One of the things that bugs me about the sequel trilogy is the same issue I have with comic books. About 99% of earth-shattering, "epic" things that happen in comics eventually get reversed. How many times has Batman "died" only to come back later? No one even flinches anymore when a comic book hero dies because we all know they're probably coming back in a year. Comic books are very good at making it appear that evolution is happening when in the long term none is happening at all. Its all an illusion. I have the same issue with the X-files. The show has no long term memory. How many times has a character on that show died, or has Mulder and Scully finally found "the truth" only to have these events quickly forgotten, as if they never happened?

I never wanted to see SW go down that road. If there had to be new movies, they should at least break some new ground. Storm troopers and star destroyers had no business being in the sequel trilogy. They're story had been told. By making those things permanent staples in the SW universe, any victory for our heroes is robbed of any substance or significance. In the grand scheme of things, its as empty and meaningless as Bruce Wayne dying.

I disagree with that for the following reason. If bad guy soldiers wore different armor or used different ships it doesn't change that there are new bad guys. Like JJ said, since 1977 people have been trying to come up with stuff as cool X Wings, TIE fighters, Storm Troopers etc. and have basically all failed. This is the one case where they can use that stuff, they'd be crazy not to.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.