What was Lucas's original Plan for Ep. 7?

Quetzalcoatl

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, and I may very well be, but from what I understand, Lucas already had a story idea for Ep. 7 before selling SW to Disney. He supposedly handed his first draft over to Disney, who subsequently trashed it and did their own thing. Is that correct? I'm curious now what his vision of a post ROTJ movie would have looked like. Is it known what Lucas had in mind for his Ep. 7? Has he ever publicly expounded on that?

By "main characters" are you referring to Han, Leia and Luke? Or do you mean the new characters who pick up the torch?

I know Lucas had an idea for an ep. 7-9 trilogy decades ago, so I can see the OT characters being younger in a story written at that time, but wasn't Lucas working on an ep. 7 (on paper, I mean) when he sold everything to Disney? Its that very recent Ep. 7 concept that I'm interested in.

Yeah I heard/read/saw that too. The girl's name was Kira and she was like 13. I also seem to remember something about the ROTJ throne room being under water where...someone was looking for a thing to do stuff or something.

I think the 2nd part of that was more specific to Arndt's screenplay

I heard it had something to do with the Empire served a purpose and now a large threat threatens the universe the deathstar would have been great to have

So the New Jedi Order, then?

I wish. They could re-imagine the details, but the basic concept behind New Jedi Order could be all sorts of fun if seen on film. Toss away all the excess and have it be the Solo children leading a new generation of Jedi against invaders who are immune to the Force, sprinkle in the rather deep lore that was generated for them, and you've got yourself some good Star Wars action.

They appeared to be "absent" from the Force, so most Force powers simply didn't work on them. Mind control, telekinesis, precognition, but perhaps most importantly, sensing their opponent. A large chunk of a Jedi's fighting prowess comes from being able to read their opponent and letting the Force guide their lightsaber, so not being able to sense them was a gigantic blind spot. To put it simply, a Jedi couldn't beat the Yuuzhan Vong with their eyes closed, at least at first. In a melee, they had to fight more or less like you or I would, with some buffs to their own personal speed, strength, and agility.

Did they like nullify the Force or just as it pertains to them? I mean Jedi can see stuff before it happens. If a Jedi were in a room with one of these guys and me, could the Jedi like see what I was going to do before I did it but not see what this other thing was gonna do? Or could the Jedi not see anything that was going to happen?

Did they like nullify the Force or just as it pertains to them? I mean Jedi can see stuff before it happens. If a Jedi were in a room with one of these guys and me, could the Jedi like see what I was going to do before I did it but not see what this other thing was gonna do? Or could the Jedi not see anything that was going to happen?

Jedi could still sense a regular person like normal. The Yuuzhan Vong don't create a bubble like the ysalamiri if that's what you mean. The void was limited to the Yuuzhan Vong themselves. So some Jedi eventually became adept at sensing the void in the Force instead of the presence.

Sounds too much like Star Wars video game.

I used RPG jargon on purpose, so good.

Basically, I mean that Jedi are still superhuman when fighting Yuuzhan Vong. They just don't have an "I win" button. They can be tricked and out skilled by a superior warrior. So their biggest crutch is gone.

For a brief moment in time (still plausible), I honestly expected Snoke to be a harbinger of a bigger galactic threat that would eventually spin off from the main saga and was purposely established in the story of this sequel trilogy to weaken the galaxy further for the arrival of a Vong like military force. I don't think any of the EU should be taken off the table in terms of what they could use later on down the cinematic road.

If one of these guys was piloting a ship could they sense what the ship was doing?

If they were flying a conventional X-Wing or something, Jedi would be able to sense the ship, but not the intention of the pilot. But the Yuuzhan Vong religion is strictly anti-technology. They only fly their own organic ships, which the Jedi cannot sense either.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, and I may very well be, but from what I understand, Lucas already had a story idea for Ep. 7 before selling SW to Disney. He supposedly handed his first draft over to Disney, who subsequently trashed it and did their own thing. Is that correct? I'm curious now what his vision of a post ROTJ movie would have looked like. Is it known what Lucas had in mind for his Ep. 7? Has he ever publicly expounded on that?

I don't think Lucas ever wrote a script, but he did give them his notes.

Yeah Quetz, I think Mara is right there. As I remember it, Lucas had some sort of rough outline with notes of what he had planned for episodes 7-9, but not really anything fleshed out beyond that. And since Disney basically scrapped those ideas (at least officially) and they weren't released to the public, I think chances are we will never know what they were, exactly, but I think there was an overall general plan.
Here is an interview of Mark Hamill that is interesting. According to Hamill, Lucas wanted Hamill to reprise the Luke role in 2011:
Here is an article that has a video that is somewhat contradictory, stating around 2000, and Luke is a father at that point (probably what became the inspiration of the EU Ben Skywalker)
Because Disney likes to keep things locked down, we probably will never know what Lucas's version of episodes 7-9 would have been, but what strikes me is a lot of what was being said in the 1980s ended up coming true, or not all that far off. Another thing we probably will never know is what Lucas himself thinks of the sequel trilogy, and how close or different it is to his original vision. I would love to know both of those, though.

Because Disney likes to keep things locked down, we probably will never know what Lucas's version of episodes 7-9 would have been, but what strikes me is a lot of what was being said in the 1980s ended up coming true, or not all that far off.

Funny, they're fairly open about the process of their animated films, even in modern times.

Another thing we probably will never know is what Lucas himself thinks of the sequel trilogy

He wasn't all that complementary when he let his guard down in that Charlie Rose interview.

For a brief moment in time (still plausible), I honestly expected Snoke to be a harbinger of a bigger galactic threat that would eventually spin off from the main saga and was purposely established in the story of this sequel trilogy to weaken the galaxy further for the arrival of a Vong like military force. I don't think any of the EU should be taken off the table in terms of what they could use later on down the cinematic road.

I really like this idea. Having Snoke and the Knights of Ren be only part of a much larger threat further distinguishes these antagonists from the Sith which, so far, do not appear that different. I wanted the villians of the sequel trilogy to have more of their own identity. As it is, there's really nothing seperating the new villians from the old ones other than their titles. The sequels come across as kind of lazy in this respect, just recycling the same traits, even superficial ones (black robes, red lightsabers, etc.) that have come to be associated with the sith. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be nice if the films did something to further set these new antagonists apart from the old ones. If anything, it would make the extermination of the Sith look like more of a meaningful event.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.