Padme and the Jedi Mind Trick

Guest Robin

You guys are 100% right about that. Even as a big prequel fan I personally think that most of the issues with those movies stem from Lucas' decision to start the story so early. Episode I could have followed a similar path of the actual movie, just have that final battle be the first battle of the Clone Wars. Episode II is the Clone Wars. Episode III is the last ditch effort by factions of the Senate, lead by Padme, and the Jedi to prevent Palpatine from completely taking over. Padme dying was the right call but she should have died doing something heroic or been captured doing something heroic and then killed while in captivity.

Yeah, you guys are right about the age difference. To be honest, all someone has to do is cut out the lines "Medically, she is perfectly healthy," "For reasons we can't understand," and "She has lost the will to live." Then we are only left with "She is dying" and "We need to operate quickly if we're to save the babies." Probably wouldn't be a hard edit to produce.

That's what I'm talking about

She shouldn't have died in child birth anyways. She was supposed to raise Leia. Lucas couldn't figure out how to retain continuity from lines spoken in ROTJ. I think he thought he had written himself into a corner with the twins/Padme situation and came up with that bad idea. She didn't need to die on screen. A couple of lines of dialogue is all that was needed.

"Bail Organa, my dearest friend. The Empire will come after me soon. When that day comes, I want you to take my daughter Leia and look after her and keep her identity a secret. She's safer with you than with me, as the empire does not yet know of your plans for rebellion."

"What about your son?"

"Masters Yoda and Kenobi sensed something special about Luke. They say the fate of the galaxy is tied to his destiny. They want to watch over him in secret. The emperor does not know I had two children with Anakin."

Jeez, and we all think we can write less cheesy dialogue than Lucas.

You guys are 100% right about that. Even as a big prequel fan I personally think that most of the issues with those movies stem from Lucas' decision to start the story so early. Episode I could have followed a similar path of the actual movie, just have that final battle be the first battle of the Clone Wars. Episode II is the Clone Wars. Episode III is the last ditch effort by factions of the Senate, lead by Padme, and the Jedi to prevent Palpatine from completely taking over. Padme dying was the right call but she should have died doing something heroic or been captured doing something heroic and then killed while in captivity.

You mean going to Mustafar to confront Anakin alone and still try to save him wasn't heroic?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.