Mario Odyssey

Poe Dameron

Nintendo's second mega game comes out tomorrow and the reviews are dropping. So far, believe it or not, it's outperforming Breath of the Wild. At gamerankings.com, it's sitting at the top of all-time. So, yeah, Nintendo's dropped two legit Game of the Decade contenders in one launch year.

Of course I haven't played it yet, and won't play it until Saturday, but I'm looking forward to it. My only concern is that its going back to the "sandbox" format of Mario 64. I know a lot of people have wanted that for a long time, but, in my view, Mario in his purest form has always been getting him from Point A to Point B. I thought the Galaxy series was the height of the 3D series giving it a sense of scale while maintaining a platforming heart, but we'll see. The amount of ideas I'm seeing in the trailers tells me that I'll probably forget all about that soon enough.

Once you get the game in your hands, post your thoughts.

I'm in an interesting spot...

I've got my preorder copy being delivered by Amazon tomorrow. Problem is I am leaving town late afternoon (to a wedding in Chicago, and then going on vacation after that). If it arrives by the time I leave I'll log plenty of hours over the next week. If it isn't delivered by then, then it's nothing. In my experience I usually get Amazon deliveries fairly early in the day, but you never know. Fingers crossed.

I've got some cold water to splash on this. The control scheme is HIGHLY disappointing. They relied way too much on motion controls for some reason, and it's making for a frustrating experience. Some of the special moves are inconsistent and close to broken. It's easily the worst control scheme for a Mario game ever, and it's baffling that they didn't just give the option to map them all onto the controller. There's more than enough space there. Particularly considering that all three of the main action buttons (jump, throw, z-trigger) are mapped onto two buttons each.

so i broke down and bought this friday for me and the kiddo. love it. it feels so much like mario sunshine for me, and that's my favorite mario game ever. the worlds are amazing, it feels sooooo cool being able to roam the streets of new donk city. it's out of mario's element, but it feels so right. as for the controls, i dunno, outside of just kind of getting use to the motion controls, i don't find the experience broken at all.

• 2 weeks later...

What's it say about me that the Mario 64 costume is my favorite?

Anyway, after a few days grumbling about the motion controls and eventually just abandoning them (seriously Nintendo, fix this), I've defeated the last big challenge. Yeah, the game has its charm. Is it my favorite? Naw. I mean, now that I've perfected my abbreviated move set, the platforming sections are fun and can sometimes approach Galaxy-level fun. And it's always a lot of fun to make a mistake, instinctively perform a complex series of moves off a wall jump, and somehow survive based on pure skill.

But the collectathon nature just bogs everything down. I've been at it for 30 hours and have almost 600 coins including the ones I bought thinking that there was a finite number (I ended up with over 100 purchased. This puts me slightly more than halfway finished puttering around looking for moons! Instead of platforming, I'm just looking around for hidden areas and stuff out of place to ground pound every hill and indentation I see. It's like if they doubled the number of blue coins in Mario Sunshine and made them a primary goal. It's just not my preferred way of playing.

So, yeah certainly a well-made game. Just not a Mario game that was designed with my preferences in mind.

I've only had time to play it a little bit. I just got through the water level (that I chose) after the sand level. The two initial levels and the sand one were amazing to wander around in. There was so much to do, see, and explore. I was disappointed at how small the water level was without seemingly much going on. controlling a Cheep Cheep was fun, though!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.