Hardwood Floors

Cashmere

I always loved the look of hardwood flooring, so I was very excited to purchase a home with hardwood through most of the downstairs. Apart from a couple of area rugs and the sunroom, it's all hard wood. When we moved in, I damp mopped with Murphy's oil soap, but other than spot cleaning and vacuuming, haven't done much since. Any other wood floor owners floating around? How do you care for them? Any horror stories or mistakes I should avoid?

I love hardwood floors but really I can't have them because I now have 4 cats. Unless they're properly sealed when mine throw up secret cat hair balls they would warp the floor. But they're beautiful and are good for people with allergies. I have tile throughout.

I feel like the only person left that prefers carpet to hardwood

I like both. The most kick ass house I have ever been in (and the most expensive) was a house that I saw built from start to finish because I helped build it. It had all hardwood walls, and hardwood floors on about half the house. My favorite part of the living area of the house was the egg-shell colored carpeted floors with the dark hardwood walls. But the all wood reading area, with the wrap around windows viewing the river, is what I really envy about that place. If I had the money to build my own house, I would go hardwood walls for the most part, not floors. Except for the library, that's all dark wood.

I bought an almost 100-year-old remodeled condo in downtown Denver with original hardwood floors and brick...that place was so cool! But with two dogs I was always cleaning that floor. I accidentally scratched the floor with a chair pretty bad and the floor around the radiator (probably original too) got completely ruined. It was quite substantial and I didn't notice due to it being in the corner and the dining room table blocked my view. The damage would be in thousands to repair. Fortunately when I sold, the buyer didn't care since he was putting black flooring down on top of the hardwood. My recommendation is to watch out for those little things you don't see.

My new house is also an older remodel (50's) with original hardwood flooring upstairs but the new finished basement has carpeting. Upstairs is gorgeous, but I spend most of my time downstairs because it is much more comfortable.

I have a Shark Steamer and it works great.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.