Puerto Rico

Ms. Spam

Which is why fast food places are offering higher wages. You don't increase your starting wage when you have people lined up to take a lower wage.

I don't know how much credit any president deserves for the economy.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Has there not been a time period of "McJobs" when the unemployment rate has gone down in the last several decades?

The recovery is old enough now that this old statement is out of date. Millions of people have been finding better jobs since around 2013 or so and transitioning out of the hard times. It's really only in the wake of economic downturns that people turn to bad low wage, part time, no benefits, in droves.

Not sure I agree with you here.

And this guy is a republican saying this.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/04/economy-added-209-000-jobs-in-july-241325

House Ways and Means Chairman Kevin Brady (R-Texas) called the report “solid” and said, “Our economy is making steady progress with more people entering the labor force and continued job creation.” But he cautioned that the report “also shows too many Americans are still having a hard time finding good-paying jobs, getting a raise, and providing for their families.”

This exactly supports what I am saying: jobs may be on the rise, but not quality jobs. Funny how when the Obama Administration was crowing about how job creation was on the rise, the right wing was all over it as "false numbers" and/or being critical of said jobs being low paying and low skill dead ender jobs, just like in this case. But when Trump does the same thing, the same type of news is supposed to somehow redeem Trump. I'm just calling BS on all this BS, and quite frankly this kind of bragging about a marginal improvement just disgusts me.

I'll concede that even minimum wage jobs being added is better than no jobs at all. But at the same time, that just seems like little to really celebrate, and really seems like smoke and mirrors to me.

Of course he said that. If he said anything other than a variant of "there's still work to do", the line would have been tossed back in his face by a TV ad starring an unemployed professional of some type.

I did say that we transitioned to the point where people hit by the recession started finding good jobs easier back around 2013, which, last I checked, was the Obama Administration. I wasn't making a partisan point or saying Trump magically successfully completed MAGA by tossing out a few regulations, and I could certainly argue that Obama held back the economy on many fronts.

I was saying that people always say McJobs. Right now, it's not really true and hasn't been for awhile.

Just how many "good" jobs can be created, though? It seems to me that there are only so many out there, and if your stuck in a McJob it has less to do with the economy and more to do with you and your life decisions.

I always cringe when I hear the "how can I take care of my family" argument. Guess what, dumbass, you need to financially prepare for something like that. Too many people dive into the family thing without giving any thought as to what it takes to do it properly.

Oh, I don't know. Just be careful with who you fuck and how you spend your money? Don't blame others for your own mistakes?

Basic shit like that. Otherwise you're a crybaby that deserves to be miserable.

Does that answer your question?

Just how many "good" jobs can be created, though? It seems to me that there are only so many out there, and if your stuck in a McJob it has less to do with the economy and more to do with you and your life decisions.

What if you make all the right life decisions (speaking to the second half of your statement), but you can't find a good job because only so many can be created and there are only so many out there (speaking to the first half of your statement)?

I always cringe when I hear the "how can I take care of my family" argument. Guess what, dumbass, you need to financially prepare for something like that. Too many people dive into the family thing without giving any thought as to what it takes to do it properly.

You'll be glad to know, if you didn't already, that the birth rate in the United States plummeted after 2007. Especially among races and ethnicities that were impacted more by the recession. So hey, maybe more people are giving it thought than you realize.

• 3 weeks later...

Mcdonalds doesn't owe you crap. No greaking way. Not in hell. A real provider has an entrepreneurial spirit. All that time picketing a red headed clown you can literally be doing thousands of other things to make more money than ur even asking from this clown.

In fact, I would actually suggest you get your ass on welfare! Get your trailer trash ass to the lie-berry downtown sit your ass down on the compooter box WHICH is FREE and spend a couple months researching the millions of potential investment business opportunities on the web. It is insane the variation of things you could do.

Evolution weeds out those unwilling or unable to adapt to change.

Has there not been a time period of "McJobs" when the unemployment rate has gone down in the last several decades?

The recovery is old enough now that this old statement is out of date. Millions of people have been finding better jobs since around 2013 or so and transitioning out of the hard times. It's really only in the wake of economic downturns that people turn to bad low wage, part time, no benefits, in droves.

Not sure I agree with you here.

And this guy is a republican saying this.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/04/economy-added-209-000-jobs-in-july-241325

House Ways and Means Chairman Kevin Brady (R-Texas) called the report “solid” and said, “Our economy is making steady progress with more people entering the labor force and continued job creation.” But he cautioned that the report “also shows too many Americans are still having a hard time finding good-paying jobs, getting a raise, and providing for their families.”

This exactly supports what I am saying: jobs may be on the rise, but not quality jobs. Funny how when the Obama Administration was crowing about how job creation was on the rise, the right wing was all over it as "false numbers" and/or being critical of said jobs being low paying and low skill dead ender jobs, just like in this case. But when Trump does the same thing, the same type of news is supposed to somehow redeem Trump. I'm just calling BS on all this BS, and quite frankly this kind of bragging about a marginal improvement just disgusts me.

I'll concede that even minimum wage jobs being added is better than no jobs at all. But at the same time, that just seems like little to really celebrate, and really seems like smoke and mirrors to me.

I agree with Chalupa. I mean many jobs that are being taken now are not permanent hires. They're temporary. You take a limited contract and work it out and then you have to hustle to find another job. Many people probably work two jobs now than they did decades ago. Even I have to work two jobs - one as a teacher and another a call center order monkey - so I can keep myself out of debt going for my Masters (which hopefully I will graduate in December! weeeeeeee! raise time!).

I rankle at the "get yourself on welfare" statement. A lot of people don't want welfare. They'd rather have jobs that meet their needs and better safer affordable housing. I hate roommates. So I bought a tiny condo that's perfect for my circumstances but I want more light and room to host Thanksgiving so I don't have to go to a house where gross food is served! HA! (OH MY GOD does my BF's mother have the worst culinary skills. Like boxed potatoes and a weird stuffing that has huge chunks of eggplant). Anyways the rambling point I'm making with this sentence is that if things were more affordable many people could do things without getting on welfare.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.