ESPN

Tex

Hmmm I haven't had an issue in school. I think I'd have to laugh later if I had a student try and do that during the pledge, Met. It's kind of a non-issue in my school.

When I was in marching band another kid and I chose to sit during the playing of the National Anthem during the opening football game. To be honest, I did it to be a jerk like the other kid. We weren't even remarked on and the joy of being disobedient was taken away so the next game we stood.

I think taking a knee is pretty respectful. And we do have to talk about inequality that still exists. Especially in larger cities.

Many of the viewers who have left would have stayed if only one of the problems existed. If it were no longer essential, but not offensive, they would still be viewers out of habit. If it were still essential but offensive, they'd be a captive audience.

Not to say that they wouldn't be losing viewers either way, but putting the two together has created a purge of viewership when they would otherwise be suffering a slower trickle. As I said, the politics is a multiplier for a problem that is out of their control.

Oddly enough, as ESPN went hard left and started firing all the people who didn’t fit their sociopolitical views, Fox Sports started picking those people up and as a result, has the more watchable shows now.

And yet, no one watches them. Weird.
I may have spoken too soon. On today's show while they discussed the disunity among the Steelers regarding these protests and what the Packers planned to do tonight, Colin Cowherd talked about how "chaos creates unity" and then lumped together Hurricane Harvey, Katrina, 9-11 and this NFL player protest. Everyone kind of did a double take. Did you seriously just compare the 9-11 terrorist attacks to a bunch of millionaires kneeling??? It reminded me of what people in this thread have mentioned about how this stuff is mostly media-driven outrage.

Here is something I'm not sure the sports media gets. They keep talking about unity and coming g together for a cause. Before this happened there was talk about why white players weren't participating and how they needed to to have this protest mean anything. People are different. They have differing opinions. Maybe you don't have more white players joining in because they don't agree with their teammates. Heck forget the white players. I gurantee there a number of black players on each team that either doesn't care or doesn't agree with some of the players stance on this. They don't say anything because if you're black you can't come out against "the message". You don't want to be the Uncle Tom in the locker room.

I don't mean to be disrespectful or hurtful but has anyone ever thought about the Anthem before this thing even became a thing?

I played in marching band and did play every game but when I looked in the stands - even now when I go to my school's feeder high school games - I see people texting and talking and some still sitting and then standing up partway through. Now it's being blown up because of the same national patriotism thing that Trump was elected on. Half-hearted.

I am not bothered. And I think the players that do kneel are being respectful but this is their only platform to make a stand and say something.

I am not bothered. And I think the players that do kneel are being respectful but this is their only platform to make a stand and say something.

Only platform? They can't hold a press conference or go to social media?

No they choose to blatantly disrespect the military, when they're really mad at cops. Not only is it the wrong target, it's just plain lazy.

And when you factor in that 78% of Americans are against the kneeling it's clear that they're little movement is failing.

****ing idiots.

We'll see how this goes in a few minutes.(haven't even bothered checking out the London game) The Giants owner told the team that he hoped they would stand. I'm hoping Evans and Jackson stands. My wife says she'll boycott if any Bucs players stand. Whatever. I'll find someone to go to the Patriots game with me Thursday night if she does.

First, I don't think the NFL players should be compared to Hitler. I'd think anyone would agree with that.

Secondly the whole purpose of the kneeling has changed and been warped. At first it was Kap kneeling to bring awareness to the issue of police brutality against minorities. Now no matter what you think of that issue, or even if it's an issue at all, that was the purpose of it.

Now though that has totally been lost. Now its simply some generic issue of "black people arent treated as well" I guess? I'm not even sure what the point of kneeling is now. I guess it's almost like "you can't tell us not to kneel nah nah nah". It's stupid at this point. I'll agree with that.

However the people who are so against the kneeling are against it because of lack of respect of the nation and the armed forces. Which I understand. Being apathetic towards the anthem though is also disrespectful. It's like saying "I don't even give a crap to pay attention for 75 seconds, can't even be bothered." Is that as disrespectful as purposefully kneeling during the anthem? Maybe not, but it is disrespectful.

So my point is this, if you are upset at the players but not at someone who basically ignores the anthem you are saying it's ok to be somewhat disrespectful of the anthem but not very disrespectful. Which makes no sense. You either show respect towards it or you don't.

I mean.. I can see why some might find cause to be apathetic or even downright disrespectful to the anthem, when the 3rd verse is taken into account. However I guess that is discounted because its only really the first verse that gets sung these days.

I mean.. I can see why some might find cause to be apathetic or even downright disrespectful to the anthem, when the 3rd verse is taken into account. However I guess that is discounted because its only really the first verse that gets sung these days.

I've long wished that we would change the national anthem to "America the Beautiful". It fits the national character so much better with its mix of pride in the beauty of the country, its soldiers, history, but still contains a constant prayer to improve the country's soul further. And it's just a nicer song/poem and easier to sing as well. The first verse could be used normally, but the full song used for special occasions.

But that's rather a separate issue.

I also agree about America the Beautiful.

I guess the apathy vs protest issue comes down to whether or not you agree with the protest. If you think it's bullshit you don't care about a 13 year old girl who checks her phone during the anthem. If you think the protest is just, then said 13 year old girl should pay more attention (and be kneeling, apparently).

If you're gonna protest you need to properly show your point. Otherwise you look like a bunch of spoiled millionaires who have no clue what the cause is or how people will interpret it.

I agree I do like it better.

But...how long before we would have people offended over the lyric 'God shed His grace on thee?'

I mean right away you would have the atheists complaining about God being in the national anthem and others offended that it mentions 'His' and not a more appropriate gender neutral pronoun.

Apperently Jerry Jones made a statement this weekend that if anyone on his team disrespects the flag, they'll get benched. My friend said, finally an owner stands up to the players and is putting a stop to this. But the way I see it, Jones is only doing this now that he sees the negative impact all the kneeling is having on the league. It's fake outrage on his part. A part of me would love to see the players call his bluff. The whole team should kneel during the Thanksgiving game and see if he really does forfeit the game.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.