Halloween Reboot(?) 2018

So apparently they're gonna try again. Jamie Lee Curtis is back, which is maybe is a good thing? It seems like this isn't part of the awful Rob Zombie series, so that's a step in the right direction.

I didn't care for Rob Zombie's remakes either. However, I'm also sick of these type of reboots as well. When Halloween H20 came out they were like, 'forget 3-6' this is the true sequel to Halloween 2.' Now they are saying, 'remember when we told you to forget 3-6? Well, forget 7-8 as well. This is the true sequel to Halloween 2.' :rolleyes:

I'll still see it though mainly because Halloween H20 didn't impress me.

I'm okay with slasher films not sticking to a super strict continuity. For the most part I see them as all standalone films with (sometimes) the same characters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I didn't care for Rob Zombie's remakes either. However, I'm also sick of these type of reboots as well. When Halloween H20 came out they were like, 'forget 3-6' this is the true sequel to Halloween 2.' Now they are saying, 'remember when we told you to forget 3-6? Well, forget 7-8 as well. This is the true sequel to Halloween 2.' :rolleyes:

I'll still see it though mainly because Halloween H20 didn't impress me.

They're actually ignoring Halloween 2 too. But yeah, I'm also going to see it. I have a soft spot for the Halloween movies not including the Zombie ones. I'll watch anything with Jamie Lee Curtis.

• 1 year later...

Baby #3 was born right before this came out, so I just finally got to watch it for the first time. I liked what they did with ignoring all of the sequels and remakes. I like what they did with Laurie. I liked the crazy doctor. I liked Michael not being completely invulnerable, like his fingers getting blown off.

In short, I liked a lot of the pieces, but something about it felt off to me. I think that it was mostly that it lacked focus, at least with the granddaughter. She was a huge part of the movie but she was just kinda there and didn't connect all that well except her friends happened to be killed.

I didn't comment on this-- shocking!

I pretty much echo your sentiments. I personally liked Laurie as the sister-- never loved the Thorn conspiracy stuff of the later sequels, but I LOVED how they explained these away as urban legends in-universe. It echoes the notion that horror stories harken back to telling tales around a campfire. Stories that change over time and based on who is telling them. Horror films, ahead of any other genre, are into sequels and remakes and reboots, so to tap into that idea is fun.

I loved Michael's first little run through town... but I never quite felt like the tension and vibe topped that moment. Laurie's trap was one of convenience, just sort of assuming Michael would track her down.

At the end of the day, I liked the movie-- but it didn't blow me away. And I definitely didn't think it was quite worth the hype.

At the time it was out, I was mostly just bitter that their marketing overwhelmed my movie and made it invisible. It was especially a bitter pill for my director because he is part of the Blumhouse family, having edited most of their hits.

• 7 months later...

I saw this on Halloween of last year. I walked away liking it as a decent sequel to the first Halloween film.

This Halloween, I decided to go the other route and followed Halloween 1 up with Halloween 2 and Halloween H20. Having done that, I now have to say that I think Halloween H20 is the superior film over this new retcon. Having re-watched H20, I think it's a much more satisfying ending to Laurie Strobe's and Michael's story (yeah, I know they followed this one with that terrible Halloween: Resurrection film, which is so bad I don't think anyone can blame me for pretending it doesn't exist). In H20, we get to see Laurie wrestle with and finally conquer her fear and finally defeat it. I felt like this was missing from the new film, with Laurie ready to take on Michael from the beginning. We don't see her make the journey she made in H20.

Also, having recently re-watched the original Halloween, its hard for me to buy this new film as a direct sequel due to minor continuity issues. For example, Michael is never captured in the original. That movie ends with Loomis shooting Michael six times, only to look back and see that Michael is gone. I guess we're supposed to assume that he didn't get very far due to his injuries and was captured by the authorities. It just seems like a huge leap in the story, and not the direction that the ending of Halloween 1 was trying to imply. Also, and I could be wrong about this, but I recall the new film stating that Michael killed eight people during the events of Halloween 1, but I only counted four kills. Maybe Michael killed some staff or fellow inmates at the institution during his escape, and those are the other kills? Can't remember if that was ever mentioned in the original.

For these reasons, I still favor the older continuity (Halloween 1 -> Halloween 2 -> Halloween H20) over the current one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.