Treverrow out of Episode IX

Darth Krawlie

83% of google users liked it

92% Rotten Tomatoe

8.1 imd

81 on metacritic which equates to universal acclaim

I'm not arguing someone's opinion of it. Just pointing out that the movie is very well liked.

I'm not disputing its rankings.

• 4 weeks later...

Other than the basic plot structure mimicking A New Hope, there is very little to fault The Force Awakens with. It hit the tone of the originals, avoided the trapping of the prequels, and still managed to do some great new original stuff.

The more that time has passed, the more I realize what a filmmaking miracle Kylo Ren really is. He's wonderfully written as a sympathetic villain, has great character design, and is artfully played by Adam Driver. I'm really looking forward to where his arc goes in the next two.

You gotta admit if TFA didn't push sci-fi boundaries with star killer base and didn't have such likeable protagonists as well as such a great scene scene of kylo killing his dad, the film woulda been such a dud. We're talking AOTC-level boringness here. I'm genuinely concerned about Abrams. I can't help it. :(

Sympathetic?!?!?! Really?!?!?

Yeah, he's an entitled etc.

I'd find him more sympathetic if I found it easier to believe that Snoke had manipulated him / robbed him of as much agency to the degree that Palpatine did with Anakin, but I'm just not convinced that Kylo is being used / a victim at the moment (thinking that Snoke is crap doesn't help).

That might change when we find out more about Snoke in TLJ.

I don't get it.

'Kanjiklub? You know you can't trust those little freaks!'

The single greatest line in the movie. I laughed my ass off in the theater. If you make me forget I'm watching a movie, and feed me such a funny line of dialogue that sounds so natural like it's just me and my friends talking, then I'm truly watching Star Wars. The OT was you and your friends talking. That's what made it what it was, before all these marvel movie crap days.

Other than the basic plot structure mimicking A New Hope, there is very little to fault The Force Awakens with

Meh. The whole last third of the movie was terribly constructed and executed.

Abrams was fine when he was just wallowing in nostalgia with Rey on Jakku, but he fell flat on his face when he actually had to movie. Given that audiences are going to be expecting more than the nostalgia vibe by Episode IX as it will be the 5th Star Wars movie in as many years, Abrams is in a lot of trouble already.

Well that's just silly.

Every scene with Kylo or Rey in it was riveting. I'll give you the space battle being boring, but they always are. I'm really not sure why they waste our time with space battles except they feel they need to have them because it's called Star Wars(?)

I think the space battles in Revenge of the Sith, Star Wars, Return of the Jedi and Rogue One are all great. I'll grant that the space battles in The Phantom Menace and The Force Awakens weren't as good, but I think in both cases the emphasis was elsewhere.

Well that's just silly.

Every scene with Kylo or Rey in it was riveting.

If you say so. I thought Kylo Ren became emasculated and Rey silly overpowered. Both characters were hurt by their treatment in the last third of the movie in my eyes.

And I can go on about the laziness of the whole set-up, writing ("How will we ever find Rey on this planet? Oh, there she is."), and pacing that stripped a ticking clock of doom of any tension. Where the whole movie should come together, instead it all falls apart and just relies on killing Han and Rey going full Hulk Hogan to remedy all its shortcomings.

Maybe it's because I'm high, but it just blew my mind to realize that there was no mention of ESB because there actually are no space battles in that one! go figure!

So I guess the Star Destroyers and TIE fighters chasing the Falcon in to the asteroid field doesn't count, huh?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.