Treverrow out of Episode IX

Darth Krawlie

That's why I said WRITER, not director. Story-wise, I think he really gets Star Wars in a way even Lucas doesn't anymore. Like I said though-- he struggles with finality and actually ending storylines. With somebody like Kennedy directing him, I think he'd write a great SW film for somebody else to direct.

More info on Treverrow's exit:

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-director-reportedly-fired-for-being-difficult/

Between Clone Wars and Rebels he's basically given me everything I actually expected the PT to be. Again, my only real complaint is his reticence to actually kill people off and finish storylines.

Would being under the constraints of a two hour movie, especially a part 9 of a sequel trilogy, rein him in on this flaw of his, as opposed to a TV series that will play out over many seasons with no clear end set?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Between Clone Wars and Rebels he's basically given me everything I actually expected the PT to be. Again, my only real complaint is his reticence to actually kill people off and finish storylines.

To be fair, TCW was cancelled before he could wrap up some loose ends. What specific story line are you referring to, anyway? Filoni has killed a TON of characters off (Satine, Maul, Opress, Mother Talzin, come to mind). Pretty much the only major character that didn't get some sort of final resolution was Ventress, but her fate as a sith apprentice WAS tied up (indeed, what a missed opportunity to have had her as an inquisitor). Rebels is not done yet, se we don't know how it will end for some of the characters, but we are on the road for some of that. I think Ahsoka's fate is sealed personally, but even if she lives, we know she isn't a jedi anymore. Kanan being blind is at least a partial explanation why he never went on to fill the role Luke did, too. The point is, the show isn't done yet. I have a feeling unless there iare plans to bring a particular character back for yet another CGI series (IE one set during or after OT), we are going to see some characters killed off or given some sort of closure to their story arc, especially since Rebels has received more notice than TCW did.

Every time I read something about Ahsoka's fate, I scream.

I'm not sure Filoni would be the best choice for a live action film. He's done well with the animation department, so probably best to keep him there.

Since I am not aware of his (if any) live action work, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think he is capable of leaving the kiddish, or cartoony aspects of Star Wars out, if he were to be tapped for a live-action film.

Would being under the constraints of a two hour movie, especially a part 9 of a sequel trilogy, rein him in on this flaw of his, as opposed to a TV series that will play out over many seasons with no clear end set?

Absolutely. A serialized TV show has hours more to deal with. The constraints of knowing the story has to be done in a couple hours makes the writing all about hitting that mark. If you're asking if Filoni is capable of pulling that off, I'd like to think so. There are plenty of one-off episodes of both cartoons that show he contain himself and tell a story. Plus, he wouldn't be doing it blindly-- Kennedy would be on him of course.

To be fair, TCW was cancelled before he could wrap up some loose ends. What specific story line are you referring to, anyway? Filoni has killed a TON of characters off (Satine, Maul, Opress, Mother Talzin, come to mind). Pretty much the only major character that didn't get some sort of final resolution was Ventress, but her fate as a sith apprentice WAS tied up (indeed, what a missed opportunity to have had her as an inquisitor).

Mostly Ahsoka, but also Ventress. And the cast of Rebels, specifically Kanan and Ezra, because their living causes issues. We know Hera and Rex are around in the OT.

Rebels is not done yet, se we don't know how it will end for some of the characters, but we are on the road for some of that.

Of course-- we have one more season to go... but...

I think Ahsoka's fate is sealed personally

This is part of the problem. He left her end ambiguous when he had every opportunity to make it clear. He just couldn't do it. Even with the great drama you'd get out of seeing Vader kill her knowing their past, he still took the easy way out.

...but even if {Ahsoka} lives, we know she isn't a jedi anymore.Kanan being blind is at least a partial explanation why he never went on to fill the role Luke did, too.

This is super problematic for me, and it's part of my complaint against him. We're splitting hairs-- Ahsoka is technically a not-Jedi, Kanan is blind, he and Ezra both may become Bendu-- great, so that means Yoda isn't a liar, and there are no Jedi left...

...but that's a cop out. That's just re-labelling them. What it also does is completely redact them as heroes. With the conviction and skills they have, there's no reason they wouldn't be on the front lines in the OT. To me that's the problem with prequels. Jedi or not, they are all, at this point, heroes for the alliance.

But you could be right. The next cartoon could be Kanan, Ahsoka, and Ezra during the OT, running side missions, etc. But I still think anyone with Force powers not in the fight against Vader and the Emperor would seem like an over-sight. Especiallly when one of them is as arguable as close, if not closer, to Vader as Luke.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Absolutely. A serialized TV show has hours more to deal with. The constraints of knowing the story has to be done in a couple hours makes the writing all about hitting that mark. If you're asking if Filoni is capable of pulling that off, I'd like to think so. There are plenty of one-off episodes of both cartoons that show he contain himself and tell a story. Plus, he wouldn't be doing it blindly-- Kennedy would be on him of course.

To be fair, TCW was cancelled before he could wrap up some loose ends. What specific story line are you referring to, anyway? Filoni has killed a TON of characters off (Satine, Maul, Opress, Mother Talzin, come to mind). Pretty much the only major character that didn't get some sort of final resolution was Ventress, but her fate as a sith apprentice WAS tied up (indeed, what a missed opportunity to have had her as an inquisitor).

Mostly Ahsoka, but also Ventress. And the cast of Rebels, specifically Kanan and Ezra, because their living causes issues. We know Hera and Rex are around in the OT.

Rebels is not done yet, se we don't know how it will end for some of the characters, but we are on the road for some of that.

Of course-- we have one more season to go... but...

I think Ahsoka's fate is sealed personally

This is part of the problem. He left her end ambiguous when he had every opportunity to make it clear. He just couldn't do it. Even with the great drama you'd get out of seeing Vader kill her knowing their past, he still took the easy way out.

...but even if {Ahsoka} lives, we know she isn't a jedi anymore.Kanan being blind is at least a partial explanation why he never went on to fill the role Luke did, too.

This is super problematic for me, and it's part of my complaint against him. We're splitting hairs-- Ahsoka is technically a not-Jedi, Kanan is blind, he and Ezra both may become Bendu-- great, so that means Yoda isn't a liar, and there are no Jedi left...

...but that's a cop out. That's just re-labelling them. What it also does is completely redact them as heroes. With the conviction and skills they have, there's no reason they wouldn't be on the front lines in the OT. To me that's the problem with prequels. Jedi or not, they are all, at this point, heroes for the alliance.

But you could be right. The next cartoon could be Kanan, Ahsoka, and Ezra during the OT, running side missions, etc. But I still think anyone with Force powers not in the fight against Vader and the Emperor would seem like an over-sight. Especiallly when one of them is as arguable as close, if not closer, to Vader as Luke.

Ahsoka's end is ambiguous NOW. If by the show's finale there is still no resolution, and we never hear or see from Ahsoka in any other series, I will agree. I also want to see SOME kind of conclusion to that character's arc. But I think either a) we will know what happened to Ahsoka (likely with flashback), or b) we won't find out because Filoni is saving Ahsoka for another series. either way, it works for me. Filoni knows there are tons of Ahsoka fans out there dying to know what happened. That is why he is teasing her fate the way he is. It keeps them watching. But I think that unless there are no plans for Ahsoka to pop up elsewhere, her fate will be a pretty final fate. I think she is dead, myself. OR at least some limbo state.

As for Kanan, what if, as a Bindu, he realizes that there is no point in fighting anymore, and walks away. Or what if he is wounded where he can no longer fight? Same with Ezra. Or, what if we find that they are in fact out there fighting in the rebellion, just on some other front. The galaxy is a huge place. Also, as far as feats are concerned, how do we know Kanan and Ezra are even very powerful as jedi. Besides Vader, the only other force users they have fought are inquisitors, who are not even Sith, and only get partial training, or are former jedi. But we really have no real way to gauge Kanan or Ezra, or the inquisitors for that matter. To a stormtrooper, sure Kanan and Ezra kick much ass. But Vader owned both of them, plus the rest of the Ghost crew without even breaking a sweat, so for all we know, Kanan, Ezra, and the inquisitors are second string force users. Whether or not they are weak for jedi, there is just two of them, and they were clearly no match for Vader. Maybe their job is to continue the fight as guerrillas, because that is where they are best suited. They're job is NOT to bring down Vader and the Emperor, as Luke ends up doing. So, I see no need to kill them, just so they can say they made room for Luke. And that is my non-writing ass coming up with ideas. I am sure a half way real writer can think of a plausible explanation why.

I mean, you do bring up valid points from a story point of view. Such are the problems with retcons. If Lucasfilm knew Star Wars would be the hit that it is today, GL may have left things more open-ended, like he did for the prequels.

Guest El Chalupacabra

We can revisit this after season 4 ends-- and while technically there are a lot of ways to do it-- it feels like a cheat to me. But I'm fully hoping for the next series he does to be Ventress and Ahsoka as bounty hunters during the OT.

You may yet be proven correct, but I am leaving room to be pleasantly surprised. I hear you on cop outs, but from my perspective, if they simply kill off characters like Kanan or Ezra, THAT is the ultimate cop out. There is a ton of video games, EU comics and novels, TCW & Rebels, and even a movie where they kill off main characters (of the story being told), just to preserve ANH, and the idea that without Luke, the rebellion cannot succeed.

One thing I do agree with you on is Ventress. First 3-4 seasons of TCW, she was featured pretty heavily. Even more than Dooku in many episodes. It was like after they brought in Darth Maul and later more or less wrapped the Mother Talzin arc, Feloni didn't quite know what to do with Ventress. Making her a bounty hunter (the catch all profession of Star Wars,, these days) was sort of a cop out.

I didn't mean to pull this so far off topic.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I got some bad news for you all about Ventress....

I'm aware of the novel, Dark Disciple. I'd like to see something on screen, though, whether or not it follows the book.

Well they'd NEVER make a book apocryphal if they had an idea for a show or movie!

(Sarcasm)

I like to think of the books as being in-universe. So some are factual, others are a best guess, and others are about as good as a tell-all unauthorized biography.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Well, I think if I remember right, Dark Disciple is the neo-EU, and is considered canon. I just have a basic problem with the idea of reading about it if you want to know what happened to a character, when its not on screen. Not that I have a problem with reading, or EU/neo-EU for that matter. Just something basically wrong with the idea of "So you want to know about the fate of Ventress, who was featured in 6 seasons of TCW and was fleshed out and did all kinds of cool sh*t, do you? Well, read the book, and find out if she lives or dies!" It's C3PO's red arm, all over again.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.