Treverrow out of Episode IX

Darth Krawlie

Give it to Rian. He loved doing it, and while it's too soon to say, it looks like he's on track to deliver something delightfully weird and solid. If it has worked, let him keep doing his thing.

If not him, I'd say it needs to go to a solid director who can work their magic within the confines of a studio machine. If James Gunn weren't consumed with Marvel, he'd be perfect. Someone like Brad Bird or Denis Villeneuve would also be great.

Wasn't Brad Bird approached for VII? I vaguely recall that.

Pass on Bird. He's already the most overrated guy in animation.

It'd never happen after John Carter, but if Disney were going to dip into its Pixar bullpen, Andrew Stanton seems like he would fit in well.

Murphy seems the likely choice. I was shocked Ron Howard wasn't offered an episode. Whedon seems like a contender, but he's toxic at the moment, and I think people are seeing he's as mediocre as I've always thought he was.

Denis Villeneuve would make some sense. From the indie side David Robert Mitchell or Mark Duplass are in the same category as Trevorrow. I'd say Jordon Peele has the nerd cred to pull it off.

Honestly, I'd have mixed feelings about it, but there'd be a certain symmetry and "coming home" feeling of sorts if the episodes closed out with Speilberg at the helm.

If Colin is struggling because of Carrie's passing, then I'd almost think that rules Johnson out. They were already working off the back of his treatment so the movie featuring Leia heavily is something he was a part of, and from all accounts he became incredibly close to Carrie during the writing and filming of Last Jedi. . .I doubt he would really want to get involved for that aspect.

I was gonna make a joke about bringing back Lucas to finish it off, but honestly jokes aside still would of been a better choice than Treverrow anyway.Villeneuve would of been my pick but can't see him passing up the opportunity to do Dune.

I was shocked Ron Howard wasn't offered an episode.

Don't know about shocked, but Howard's just about the safest choice imaginable. I wish they'd gone with him instead of Abrams for TFA since he could have done safe a lot better. He's busy with the Han Solo movie now, so cross him off the list.

Whedon seems like a contender, but he's toxic at the moment, and I think people are seeing he's as mediocre as I've always thought he was.

Mediocre people don't make magic happen three separate times like he did with with Buffy/Angel, Firefly, and Dr. Horrible. Not to mention the influence on television and modern writing that he's had. Maybe one time as a fluke or one-trick pony and then everyone wonders what happened, but it doesn't happen multiple times.

That said, he's just all wrong for Star Wars. Just thinking about trying to mesh Whedon's style and Star Wars together sounds like a disaster. In the end, his home is in television. Not to mention that, yeah, he probably burned a few bridges at Disney around the time of Age of Ultron. We'll see if he earns back any points with this Justice League salvage effort.

Still wish I could have seen his Wonder Woman.

Denis Villeneuve

Just makes too much sense. He's hot and his latest movie should be pretty much done like right now. If he manages not to crash on the rocks of Blade Runner, I'll be impressed. Fitting into Star Wars is child's play next to the daunting task of trying to follow up that franchise.

Villeneuve would of been my pick but can't see him passing up the opportunity to do Dune.

My understanding is that Dune would have a long gestating process anyway.

Good luck to him. As much as I like Dune, I never thought it had much potential as a movie. It's so intricate that you're either cutting out so much that it becomes shallow, or bogging it down in detail.

It's sorta like Watchmen, only without the awesome panels to lift onto film.

I was gonna make a joke about bringing back Lucas to finish it off, but honestly jokes aside still would of been a better choice than Treverrow anyway.

Obvious joke aside, I think Lucas has made it pretty clear that he has no interest at all in the direction they've taken his franchise. He'd give them the finger even if they asked.

From the indie side David Robert Mitchell or Mark Duplass

Sorry, never heard of them and nothing jumps from their filmography.

I'd say Jordon Peele has the nerd cred to pull it off.

There wouldn't be any particular reason that you're pushing horror guys, would there?

Interesting idea. Haven't seen Get Out yet, so I can't really judge him. It'd certainly be going down the path of hiring a director based on one smallish hit.

How would you feel about Uncle Steve?

Outside of the obvious reasons I'm leaning on horror guys, it's a genre where the indie guys tend to get the most creative with the meagerest of money and means.

Biased of course, but I feel like the Indy director given a big movie paradigm has more successes with directors who've started with horror.

In case of Peele, despite the format of Key and Peele, his knowledge of geek culture seeped into so many sketches and Get Out was pretty solid.

If Colin is struggling because of Carrie's passing, then I'd almost think that rules Johnson out. They were already working off the back of his treatment so the movie featuring Leia heavily is something he was a part of, and from all accounts he became incredibly close to Carrie during the writing and filming of Last Jedi. . .I doubt he would really want to get involved for that aspect.

That's not necessarily true. It's less about what needs to be built off of and more about willing a writer is to adapt. Some writers, like Arndt for example, crack under the pressure of being told to start over. Others love the challenge of it.

It seems maybe they just hired Colin too early, they hired him in August of 2015 which was basically 4 years before the release of the movie and months before even the release of TFA. I get that they fired him and he had obviously done work on the movie but it's not like they even started shooting. They fired a director before he even started directing.

I agree, you'd know more than me, but this move doesn't seem to be that out of the ordinary. Pretty much all of the movies, outside of TLJ, have had some sort of upheavel in terms of writing or directing. To me though the only one that seems really out of the norm or possibly troubling is with the Han Solo movie, having the directors removed fairly late in the game. The other changes seem like somewhat normal changes that happen over the development of a movie this large.

It'd never happen after John Carter, but if Disney were going to dip into its Pixar bullpen, Andrew Stanton seems like he would fit in well.

I will still defend John Carter. It was such a fun adventure movie, but Disney had no idea how to market it and threw it under the bus. Between it and Wall-E, I think Stanton is one of the most underrated and underutilized Sci-Fi directors working today.

How would you feel about Uncle Steve?

The emotional side of me says hell yes. The logical side of me knows that combination would have a lot of issues.

Spielberg is still BFF's with Lucas, and he's not going to go behind his back if George still has a beef with Disney. And if he does want to do it, they're going to constantly consult together, and Crystal Skull isn't the best representation of their combined craft in modern times.

On paper, Spielberg makes perfect sense. He does action well, combines it with character, beats of family, and knows his limits when it comes to VFX. But in reality, I feel like the behind the scenes drama would be too much baggage.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't know anything about Treverrow other than Jurassic World, nor do I know about this indy film maker or that writer. But when it comes to Episode XI, I think it just makes more sense to get a heavy hitting veteran in there. And I don't mean JJ Abrams. They need someone who is proven, and who can make a great film, not just someone who can do great at the box office. Episode 9 will definitely not be the last Star Wars movie, but it COULD be the last episode movie. They need to really get someone in there who knows not just Star Wars, but how films need to be in order to be masterpieces. If this is the last episode film, it needs to go out strong. If they want more episode films, again, it needs to succeed on every level.

While unknown indies may offer a fresh perspective, veteran film makers offer stability. I understand the reasons why it might not be viable for Spielberg to do Episode 9, but they need someone of his caliber in there. Martin Scorsese, Ridley Scott, James Cameron, Robert Zemekis, hell, maybe even Kathleen Kennedy (yeah I know it would be a demotion for her) would be great choices to get in there and make a great episode 9. ESPECIALLY if Episode 9 was going to be Leia centric which, of course, it can't be, now. They need someone beyond a good writer that can help shape the movie, and take it in a different direction that doesn't feel contrived, and lacking, because its intended key player is no longer here. I know most of those examples aren't know for Star Wars, but they ARE known for good movies, and I think they could pull something like that off.

If there's one guy who knows how to write Star Wars it's him. You talk crazy.

If you are talking about Kasdan, I have to say I agree on TESB (a true masterpiece, in my view), but were ROTJ, and TFA really THAT good, at least in terms of being in the same ballpark as TESB? I don't think they were, personally. Maybe Kasdan isn't to blame there, but while I really loved TFA when I saw it in the theater, its lost its luster for me. As a movie, it really is not all that much better than ROTS.

The thing that saves TFA is a) nostalgia for the OT, b) the characters were likable. But as a film, man, I have to say I just don't feel the same way I did about TFA nearly 2 years afterwards (that could be more on JJ, because that describes my feelings about a lot of his stuff...loved at first, don't hold up too well over time and additional viewings). I can't quite put my finger on what exactly it is about TFA, or even Rogue one for that matter, but they do not generate the same nostalgia I have for OT, and as much as I hate to admit it, the PT (at least from a world building aspect).

If you ask me, Dave Filoni probably understands Star Wars better (or what it has become since TESB) than Kasdan, at this point. And I know everyone and their sister is pissed off at him, but I think Lucas deserves a consult to bounce ideas off of. If they are good ideas, use them. If not, then don't.

That's not necessarily true. It's less about what needs to be built off of and more about willing a writer is to adapt. Some writers, like Arndt for example, crack under the pressure of being told to start over. Others love the challenge of it.

Nah I get that - I just don't think he would want to do it because of the close relationship he developed with Carrie. I don't think he would have any issues starting over at all.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.