Treverrow out of Episode IX

Darth Krawlie

They need to hurry up and announce a new director for those of us who desperately had to base our entire Ep IX prejudgment on Trevorrow's hiring. His removal now leaves my clairvoyant thumbs-down in a total awkward limbo.

I believe this news validates their prescience.

A prescience I've not felt since...

I pick option B. Kennedy's resume speaks for itself. I give her the benefit of the doubt. I think what's happening is these young guys are coming in thinking they have creative license to make their movie, everyone else be damned. To your point a franchise like this needs veterans who know their way around Hollywood and want to make the best film possible within the parameters set by their boss. Abrams and Howard give off that vibe. They remind me of Kershner in the way he handled a production of this scale and the pressure it brings. The young guys are not so much fanboys but seem to be more looking to make their mark and want to treat it like another indie film with a bigger budget. What I wonder is, if Gilroy is brought in to do reshoots and finish off R1 to Lucasfilm's liking, why not give someone like him the keys from the start?

I wonder if it's the other way though...maybe they are gushing over the Star Wars aspect so much they're not making their mark. They're not willing to stand up for their vision in fear of losing the job, and lose direction when challenged. Abrams and Johnson know how to work with the suits and stand up for their vision. I get the impression thats what Kennedy is looking for.

Still don't think its a good look though.

Even though I don’t/didn’t have a ton of faith in Trevorrow, I can’t help but think the major factor behind this is Carrie Fisher’s death. The movie he had been making (either in concept or actuality) heavily featured Leia. They’ve said over and over that 7 was Han’s, 8 was Luke’s, and 9 was to be Leia’s. When you’ve written and conceptualized so much with that goal in mind, it’s probably massively difficult to re-direct from there. I would bet that their creative differences came from deciding where to go after that.

Like Choc said, the ability to recognize a mistake and change the way you’re doing things is a great thing. However, this is repeatedly playing with fire. One of these movies is gonna suck because of it.

Give it to Rian. He loved doing it, and while it's too soon to say, it looks like he's on track to deliver something delightfully weird and solid. If it has worked, let him keep doing his thing.

If not him, I'd say it needs to go to a solid director who can work their magic within the confines of a studio machine. If James Gunn weren't consumed with Marvel, he'd be perfect. Someone like Brad Bird or Denis Villeneuve would also be great.

They already got the sucks out of the way with TFA. With R1 being really good, let's hope they figured it out now, needless Han prequel not withstanding.

I hope this doesn't mean we're going to end up with a Star Trek movie curse, where every other movie sucks and the rest are great, which means that all the ST movies will suck and all the Star Wars Stories/Anthology/whatever the fuck they're calling the movies like R1 and the Han movie end up being good.

I bloody hope not.

Give it to Rian. He loved doing it, and while it's too soon to say, it looks like he's on track to deliver something delightfully weird and solid. If it has worked, let him keep doing his thing.

If not him, I'd say it needs to go to a solid director who can work their magic within the confines of a studio machine. If James Gunn weren't consumed with Marvel, he'd be perfect. Someone like Brad Bird or Denis Villeneuve would also be great.

Wasn't Brad Bird approached for VII? I vaguely recall that.

Kathleen is one of the most successful producers out there considering she has all of Spielberg's hits under her belt. Lucas chose her because she was the right combination of business and creative.

She has one of the most difficult jobs in Hollywood, running arguably one of the biggest IPs in entertainment for the most powerful studio in the world. She has to walk the line between meeting the mouse's demands, spending their money with little oversight, and creatively steering the biggest ship in the ocean.

That can't be easy. I'll defend her every step of the way.

That said, the shake ups still fall on her. Even if the problem is the talent/directors not getting with the program, she's still the one that selected them in the first place. So even if you aren't being petty and just yelling at ol Kathy cause you're a mad fanboy cause TFA didn't have Ewoks or your beloved EU was wiped out-- whatever, at the end of the day, what's happening is still on her to an extent.

At least she's in a position to fix it-- which if she does, and the movies make money, her job will still be secure.

To be honest, shake ups like this happen constantly in Hollywood. Most movies get reshoots, in pre-production directors are swapped out, stars are replaced, it's very very common-- it just so happens that since it's Star Wars it's under a very big microscope.

I'd rather her fire people who aren't working with the production than be too proud to admit she chose poorly. The movie isn't over until it's over. At least this time, it hasn't started filming yet.

And I'm glad Trevorrow is out, as I definitely did not trust him to finish Rey and Kylo's story. Literally no one in fandom is upset about this, and we never agree on anything.

I'll be upset on behalf of CT. I mean, I don't know why everyone's shitting on him. I enjoyed Jurassic World for what it was, and I enjoyed Safety Not Guaranteed. I really have no emotional attachment to him, but someone has to be the dissenting voice of the fandom. I read somewhere that when all Star Wars fans agreed on something, that would be a sign of the apocalypse. Or the alpacalypse. Something like that.

As Lucas1138 said earlier, this might have to do with the loss of Carrie Fisher. That's a huge game changer for the story, and really the only thing that HAS changed since filming hasn't even begun yet. Yes, she chose CT to begin with, but certainly she can't be held accountable for creative differences creeping up as a result of this tragic, unforeseeable change of events.

So, either he WAS a good fit before this act of god and now he's not (in which case her hands are clean) OR he never really was to begin with, but this gives her the perfect opportunity to get rid of him (thus washing the blood off her hands).

Getting rid of CT seems to be the popular opinion, so it seams to be like a good move for Kennedy either way.

I feel like that's the case as well. He couldn't roll with the punches to change up the script with the loss of Carrie Fisher. They talked about another writer coming on, if it just wasn't his vision anymore, he may have wanted to bail as director.

Safety Not Guaranteed was solid. I don't think it should be considered a critical darling, but it was a very good quirky indie film festival kind of movie. It was perfect because it was small and low budget.

Jurassic World was okay. It made a killing at the box office based on the brand name, not necessarily because of the film itself. It was clear that it was from a rookie, it had fun spots but was overly bloated and without character. I've got no intention of seeing it, but I've seen from all sources I trust that Book of Henry is a hot mess.

I hope Colin pulls it together because I know from Safety Not Guaranteed that he's good, but I am glad he's not on IX anymore, he was never a good fit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.