Panic! Harvey is coming.

Ms. Spam

Don't be a hero-- evacuate. Don't mess around!

Honestly not sure what I'll do. It's not scheduled to hit until Saturday night/Sunday morning so I've got a bit of time. I don't want to leave my cats if I don't have to (why am I bringing up cats on this thread so much?), especially if I won't be able to get back into the area for a week or two.

If it's still a Cat 5 and headed straight for my house, I'll set up the extra litter boxes, pour them a ton of food and water, leave it in all in a nice and high area, and head on out on Thursday night or Friday morning. Maybe drive to Illinois to see my sister for an abbreviated weekend and hopefully come right back. If it hits Hispaniola or Cuba and weakens to something manageable or takes a path well away from me, I'll just ride it out somewhere safe.

Leave no cat behind.

I have family in Broward county so the track shifting more to the east doesn't make me feel that much better. I went through Hurricane Andrew and I remember actually being afraid for my life. Of course that was 25 years ago and I didn't have a wife to try to act like everything is going to be okay for.

There's one spaghetti model that shows it going out to sea. That's the one that needs to stick. Ugh.

The best-performing computer models are European. I'd keep track of the UK Met Office's forecasts. They just have better equipment and computer models. NOAA just isn't keeping up with the Joneses.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/storm-tracker/#?tab=map&stormId=11L&stormName=IRMA

My aunt and uncles say they're prepared. It's not to late for them to come over to the left coast. My mother passed away two years ago Saturday or else id already be down there packing her up and heading back to Tampa. My wife isn't as scared as she was a couple of days ago, but now her brother and sister are trying to get her to drive to Ohio.

I'm gonna lose power. There's no two ways around that. I live in a low priority area too (no hospitals, schools, or other essentials services) so when the last batch of hurricanes came through a dozen years ago, it took over a week to get the lights back on each time.

One of my minor priorities yesterday was making a run to the library so that I'd have plenty of reading material before they all shut down.

My stupid brother who lives like a block away from the beach in Panama City Beach isn't leaving. His pregnant girlfriend is totally getting the hell out of there with her daughter (who is like 13 days younger than Luke). But Senor Dumbass is refusing to go with her.

I really don't understand this mentality. I mean, I lived there for 6 years, I get not needing to evacuate for every single little thing, but if you are in a flood zone, a mandatory evacuation zone, or in a shitty old house, why the hell would you stay? I read an article today about some asshat on Merritt Island defying the mandatory evacuation order and wanting his 37-week pregnant daughter to stay. No, get the hell out of there. You don't even have to evacuate far, like 10 miles and you're safe from storm surge. But really, are you going to shoo the hurricane away from your house? Hold the roof on? Stop a complete deluge from coming in? It's a house, it's stuff. I got over this shit after 2004.

Personally, I lean towards evacuating because I like creature comforts and I am way over being without power, air conditioning, and phone for weeks after Frances and Jeanne in 2004. The trick is to drive at night once the roads clear up from all the idiots evacuating during the day.

In any event, looks like this is going to swing closer to Tampa than Cocoa Beach.

The son of a coworker of mine lives south of Miami. He was initially going to ride it out, but he eventually came to his senses and hit the road.

Unfortunately he went to Tampa because his grandmother has a vacant house there. I guess he'll get to meet Irma afterall.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.