Panic! Harvey is coming.

Ms. Spam

We got the hell out of dodge on Friday. Our house has never flooded, but it does like to lose power. So we left. Unplugged everything we could, put everything we can't live without up high, and left.

All day my FB feed has been full of people talking about the lack of rain in our area of town. Then around 4 it changed to a bunch of pics of people camping out in their bathrooms and closets because of all the tornados. Now I'm stuck way up in NE Texas wondering if a tornado is getting close to my house and whether the neighborhood is going to finally flood. Before we left Trevor and I were joking about about our house flooding and using it as an opportunity to declutter and rennovate. I'm trying to cling to that optimism.

It's crazy how different we consume news now vs Katrina. Katrina dominated all out let's. I had to actively go and find news to read given that I gave up on most mainstream news sites like CNn years ago, and I don't watch TV news.

My social media algorithms just want to tell me about Tobe Hooper dying and Twitter is a bunch of pro-Trump Texans saying everything is cool.

Reality and truth are gone. "News" is now a curated experience.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I just saw this thread. I hope everything turns out OK for you and your family cerina. Same with you Destiny and Spam.

Is it news that news is bull****?

Not at all-- but there was one point in time when you could at least count on us all seeing the same bullshit. Everyone watching CNN and arguing the content is different than person A comparing their news intake to person B.

If you were East of 35 in the Windcrest/Converse/Selma area you just got lots of rain and some wind gusts. Anything West of 35 was tame. Only events were wrecks by poor drivers on wet roads. Mostly we've just been opening up and donating and giving shelter. Seguin and New Braunfels canceled first day of school today but mostly because of river flooding for the Guadalupe River. Alamo Heights had the most homes go without power but CPS had them up and running in hours.

We're fine. House is fine. Nearly everyone we know is fine. I can't even explain that luck right now.

Some of the roads to get home are clearing up and opening now, so we're going to start heading home tomorrow. We'll have to go the long way home, but at least we can get there now. Trevor and I have been going ****ing crazy being stuck up here unable to help out. Our church, our Cub Scout pack, our homeschool groups, just everyone are all organizing efforts to go around and assist people cleaning up their houses, and we've been up here building bonfires and killing pregnant snakes. The only help I can provide right now is forwarding on FB posts from others.

So we're headed back tomorrow with a truck full of bleach, contractors bags, and some other supplies. At the very least we're hoping we can find some people to give it to on the way home.

There's a fake panic right now about gas in San Antonio. Some stations have run out of regular unleaded and just have premium gas because they haven't been retanked because of the Houston shut down. So instead of chillin' people are waiting in 100 car lines to get gas even though things will be back to normal minus a bump in price for "holiday" gas rates for Labor Day weekend. I'm glad I bought a Prius. I can get to two jobs and run errands on one tank of gas for two weeks.

I'm embarrassed to say that for like a week I ignored this thread because I thought it was some inside baseball stuff I wasn't getting like monkeygirl's "GUYS ERAICSKS IS MOVING TO BE WITH ME!" thread. Which, btw, I spent months thinking that eraicsks was a cat or something.

I should probably start reading these threads.

Oh good you're just in time for my 2 part rant.

#1 - People who are setting up Go Fund Me accounts and begging for help by claiming they "lost everything" when in reality they got like 4" of water in their house are really starting to piss me off. I know someone who right now has raised over $6K because of the sob story someone wrote up for their Go Fund Me, and like...it would rank a Pants on Fire if someone fact checked it. But in the meantime I have a cousin whose mobile home flooded to the roof. It and everything in it is a loss (actually I think they were able to salvage a few pieces of someone's grandma's china). There are sooo many people who actually lost 75-100% of their belongings and literally have nowhere to go when they are forced to leave the shelters that they're at. It's a legit problem we're facing down here all along the coast. But there's no way to vet everyone asking for individual assistance. And seriously **** these people, the looters, the ***holes posing as FEMA inspectors to rob people, and all those jackasses who tried to steal boats from the people who came to help last week!!

#2 - The togetherness Houston is experiencing right now is AH-mazing. And it's true, nobody gave two ****s about anyones race/nationality/religion/gender/sexual orientation/****ing hair color or whatever. But this isn't "America". This is not a bright shining example of our every day lives. And frankly, not leaving people to die is hardly a show of support for minority causes. Reality check. This week THOUSANDS of people are going to HAVE to return to work because they just don't have the money not to. Guess what color the majority of them will be? Guess what areas of town were hardest hit because of Harris County Flood Control's deliberate routing of the flood waters into their area. In the next month many thousands of people will be able to return to their newly renovated homes with their new furniture and new appliances, but guess what the majority of them are going to look like? It's awesome that we could band together to keep people alive this week. It's super awesome that all these people are being fed and housed and cared for by willing volunteers working around the clock. But in 6 months? PFFT!! Very few of these volunteers are going to think twice about the lives of people on the other side of the tracks. I've been to the other side of these tracks, and I can honestly say that the basic quality of shelter, food, and clothing many of these people are getting in churches and temporary shelters is way higher than what they had 2 weeks ago. And while I'm grateful to be able to bless them right now, I do know that soon it'll all be gone and their lives are going to go back to what they were which is a life of hardship possibly because of their race or education level but definitely because of their economic status.

So yeah...Charlottesville may not have been a 100% accurate demonstration of the state of our country as a whole, but neither is the post-Harvey love fest.

Yeah. I can't even right now for those people who live paycheck to paycheck in Houston. I have a cousin whose husband was promoted in the railroad industry and they just bought a house in Beaumont and moved in three weeks ago. It was their first home. I don't think they had flood insurance because the area they were in didn't require it. But they're better off financially than others.

Meanwhile in San Antonio I'm starting to freak a little over the fact that none of the service stations have gas and those that do have lines two hours long. I want to go to Port A to help with some clean up but I also need to be able to get to my job on Tuesday. I have half a tank of gas. I am not waiting in line to fill up.

Don't be a hero-- evacuate. Don't mess around!

Honestly not sure what I'll do. It's not scheduled to hit until Saturday night/Sunday morning so I've got a bit of time. I don't want to leave my cats if I don't have to (why am I bringing up cats on this thread so much?), especially if I won't be able to get back into the area for a week or two.

If it's still a Cat 5 and headed straight for my house, I'll set up the extra litter boxes, pour them a ton of food and water, leave it in all in a nice and high area, and head on out on Thursday night or Friday morning. Maybe drive to Illinois to see my sister for an abbreviated weekend and hopefully come right back. If it hits Hispaniola or Cuba and weakens to something manageable or takes a path well away from me, I'll just ride it out somewhere safe.

My stupid brother who lives like a block away from the beach in Panama City Beach isn't leaving. His pregnant girlfriend is totally getting the hell out of there with her daughter (who is like 13 days younger than Luke). But Senor Dumbass is refusing to go with her.

Meanwhile, my sister and her husband are still planning to fly down to Orlando on Sunday to go to Disney World next week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.