We would be honored if you would join us

Filthy Jawa

As a kid watching that scene in ESB, I took It quite literally, but then I grew up and realized it was just Vader being theatrical. But then I watched it just now and....I'm not sure. I mean, the table is set. Vader does sit back down in his chair like they're all going to sit down.

Did Han, Leia, Chewie, Lando, Boba, and Vader all sit down to a meal together before the torture began? And what did they eat? Was it lunchtime or just tea? Can Vader drink soup through his helmet? So many questions.

My takeaway from that scene?

Vader stops blaster bolts with his hand. Like-- wtf!?

Is it the force? Can't be, cause no other Jedi or Sith has done that.

Is it cause he's a cyborg? No-- cause Luke takes a shot to his cyber-hand and it gets fried.

The only explanation is he's got blaster-proof gloves. So my thing is, if there's a fabric in the SW universe that can stop blaster bolts than why doesn't everyone use it?

Why aren't stormtroopers wearing blaster-glove suits?

Come on, it's the Force. If Kylo can freeze a blaster bolt in the air and Yoda can catch force lightning, Vader can catch blaster bolts with his hand. I mean his midichlorian count is like wtflol.

I'm sure Han wanted to know how he did it. Did he ask him over little triangular cucumber sandwiches?

Guest El Chalupacabra

My takeaway from that scene?

Vader stops blaster bolts with his hand. Like-- wtf!?

Is it the force? Can't be, cause no other Jedi or Sith has done that.

Is it cause he's a cyborg? No-- cause Luke takes a shot to his cyber-hand and it gets fried.

The only explanation is he's got blaster-proof gloves. So my thing is, if there's a fabric in the SW universe that can stop blaster bolts than why doesn't everyone use it?

Why aren't stormtroopers wearing blaster-glove suits?

There's a whole EU novel devoted to that....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Glove_of_Darth_Vader

...just so you know, because I know you love EU.

As a kid watching that scene in ESB, I took It quite literally, but then I grew up and realized it was just Vader being theatrical. But then I watched it just now and....I'm not sure. I mean, the table is set. Vader does sit back down in his chair like they're all going to sit down.

Did Han, Leia, Chewie, Lando, Boba, and Vader all sit down to a meal together before the torture began? And what did they eat? Was it lunchtime or just tea? Can Vader drink soup through his helmet? So many questions.

My take away was Vader was being ironic. Who knew Vader had a sense of humor? Kind of have to, when you are in a suit p****** and S****** your self all day.

Yes, there was indeed a children's book written about this that explains it. It's not my favorite bit of EU for obvious reasons, but it does explain that Vader had a special gauntlet built into his glove. It was later retconned that this was a gauntlet belonging to an ancient Sith Lord.

And the writers of Episode VII totally stole that bolt-freezing thing from Joruus C'Baoth, who does exactly the same thing with a Wookiee bowcaster bolt in Heir to the Empire.

Yes, there was indeed a children's book written about this that explains it. It's not my favorite bit of EU for obvious reasons, but it does explain that Vader had a special gauntlet built into his glove. It was later retconned that this was a gauntlet belonging to an ancient Sith Lord.

And the writers of Episode VII totally stole that bolt-freezing thing from Joruus C'Baoth, who does exactly the same thing with a Wookiee bowcaster bolt in Heir to the Empire.

The frozen blaster bolt was something in episode 7 I did not like. But it was still better than everything in Heir to the Empire.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.