*shudder* Dealing with cockroaches

I've been in my current apartment just over a year and have seen a total of two cockroaches--one last summer, one last night, both in the entryway, far away from any food sources. Both times I saw them when I got up to use the bathroom in the night. The first time, I went back in my bedroom, closed the door (the entryway can be closed off from the rest of the apartment), and it had disappeared by morning. The one from last night crawled behind a shelf that was too heavy to move, stayed there while I got ready for work, and was on its back pawing the air when I got home just now, still in the entryway (it has since taken a trip over the outside railing with a lot of squealing and heart palpitations on my part). I know the saying that if you see one there are hundreds more. I'm trying very hard NOT to think about that, because I will just curl up and die.

I'm a northern girl, so this cockroach thing is pretty new to me. I bought some Combat bait today, but my question is placement. Because I've only seen them in the entryway, I think that that's where they're coming in (I'm also a fairly abysmal housekeeper, so it seems suspect I've never seen any in the kitchen or bathroom if there's an infestation). If these suckers can smell the bait from four feet away, and I put them in my entryway right next to the front door, does that mean I'll end up with a congregation of nightmare-fuel on the landing outside? Basically, if I put them down and I DON'T have a roach problem, will the capsules end up attracting them? For reference purposes, I live on the third floor of a neat apartment building that isn't near any restaurants or other major bug-attractions. The apartments have outdoor entrances, and I always get home from work after dark. I've encountered a roach on one landing or another fewer than five times in the last year.

Note: I also bought a giant can of cockroach spray and am considering wearing it in a holster, ready to be whipped out and fired at a moment's notice.

Men stop maturing around 12.

I've never had to deal with cockroach, the worst we've had is mice. I recently caught one that was in the container where we sure the dog food. Put it in a tennis ball canister, took it outside and dealt with it.

Borax around places that they come in works. Keep all foods sealed up. Apartment life is weird for bugs. I get them when it rains a lot. German cockroaches or wood roaches do try and find other places when there is so much rain their usual places like wooded deteriorating areas outside get saturated with water.

I wish I could be more helpful, but as I live in Florida I have pro pest control services. When I didn't, I would spot kill them and put bait around the kitchen and in the bathrooms. But it couldn't keep up.

When we thought about moving back last year, this was pretty heavy in the "con" column. That entire state is trying to kill you, I swear. Bugs, snakes, alligators, sinkholes...

As I've only seen two in over a year, I'm inclined to think they were just one-offs (my friend actually had one run into her apt when she opened the door last week, so there's that). Luckily Japan has a lot of STRONG cockroach-control options because the entire country is a breeding ground for them because of everything from the climate to how residences are constructed. I bought some of the poison pellets and the death spray, but I've mostly calmed down since my initial post.

I wish I could be more helpful, but as I live in Florida I have pro pest control services. When I didn't, I would spot kill them and put bait around the kitchen and in the bathrooms. But it couldn't keep up.

When we thought about moving back last year, this was pretty heavy in the "con" column. That entire state is trying to kill you, I swear. Bugs, snakes, alligators, sinkholes...

I can afford to live here, though. :p

Just checked my email and under the preview of the promotions folder it read: "Bed Bath & Beyond, DICK"

Made me think of this thread and the fact that I am a dick.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.