Shows/Movies you should like, but don't care about?

okay, now I've read the thread:

"The hokey aspects of Dr. Who are the only thing I don't like, and I'm a big fan. Sometimes we forget it is a kids show,"

WIAT WHAT? SERIOUSLY?? Or is this just your take?

Also, what's your complaints about the new Twin Peaks? Curious.

And further:

OMG Walking Dead. I was done after they bashed Glen's head in. I just couldn't. Props to them for doing the hard things, but geezzzzz.

Dr. Who: I was in for Capaldi long after most of my Whovian friends jumped ship, but I found myself backed up far too many episodes

on the DVR and deleted them and just haven't gone back since.

Cartoons? Anything post-DePatie Freleng is bogus.

Silence in the Library

YESSSSSSS

HEY! Who turned out the lights?

If you want to give Who a fair shake try out the two-parter Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead. Doctor Who has been many things over the years-- a monster of the week show, a hard scifi show, an action adventure, a time travel-travel weirdness show... these two episodes manage to do all those things at once, showcase the best qualities of The Doctor, and not be too overly cheesy (outside of some low-level base cheese that comes with all things British Scifi).

Add "Blink."

Along with "Silence" and "Forest," I think they are great examples of how good the show can be.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Not just looking for a bunch of people saying "I hate Big Brother" or "Big Bang Theory is the worst!"But aren't those accurate?I don't know if I have a geek status...do I? But I get you and I'll contribute before reading the thread, like I always do.Orange is the New Black: I have never seen this and so many people I like-mostly women-tell me I MUST. I dunno. Prison? Really?Game of Thrones: I do feel like I'm missing some eye candy here, if nothing else?House of Cards: The current Presidential administration and its sometimes thrice-daily antics are quite enough at present.

I've never had any desire to see Orange, but as for House of Cards, I had to give that a second try before I was hooked. First try, I watched the first 4 or 5 episodes and was bored with HOC. Gave it a break, and rewatched those episodes like 9 months later and stuck with it and found I stopped too early the first time and found I liked it a lot. But this was all before the Donald was elected. I am not sure how this show will fare for me now. Hell, last season ended with a cliffhanger involving a missile strike on the middle east to distract the public from a scandal. Little close to reality. Like you say, Trump is enough of a train wreck. In fact I heard somewhere that the writers of HOC a few months ago said they were having trouble coming up with writing something outrageous and unbelievable,without it becoming reality shortly after!

Guest El Chalupacabra

Twin Peaks - I have tried time and time again to like this show but I can't.

Marvel Netflix shows - Each one that comes out I try and each time I am bored.

Dr. Who - Nope

I haven't yet seen the new/resurgence version, but the original twin peaks is a hard show to like if you don't remember it from the 1990s and liked it back then. When it first aired, nothing was like it, and I liked the fact it was so different. Plus liked movies like Eraserhead and blue velvet back then, so that was part of the draw for me. I still like Twin Peaks, at least season 1, but I can't say there isn't nostalgia going on there. The second half of season 2 quite frankly is sh*t.

Not just looking for a bunch of people saying "I hate Big Brother" or "Big Bang Theory is the worst!"But aren't those accurate?I don't know if I have a geek status...do I? But I get you and I'll contribute before reading the thread, like I always do.Orange is the New Black: I have never seen this and so many people I like-mostly women-tell me I MUST. I dunno. Prison? Really?Game of Thrones: I do feel like I'm missing some eye candy here, if nothing else?House of Cards: The current Presidential administration and its sometimes thrice-daily antics are quite enough at present.

I've never had any desire to see Orange, but as for House of Cards, I had to give that a second try before I was hooked. First try, I watched the first 4 or 5 episodes and was bored with HOC. Gave it a break, and rewatched those episodes like 9 months later and stuck with it and found I stopped too early the first time and found I liked it a lot. But this was all before the Donald was elected. I am not sure how this show will fare for me now. Hell, last season ended with a cliffhanger involving a missile strike on the middle east to distract the public from a scandal. Little close to reality. Like you say, Trump is enough of a train wreck. In fact I heard somewhere that the writers of HOC a few months ago said they were having trouble coming up with writing something outrageous and unbelievable,without it becoming reality shortly after!

I loved HOC season 01 & 02. But stopped shortly after Underwood gets the Oval Office. That was kinda the pinnacle of his character arc really, isn't it. Not much further to go from there. And like you say, reality was swiftly becoming more outlandish than anything the shows writers could cook up. And it felt like it became more style over substance; what dress will the First Lady wear today? What opulent social scenario will they be in today? But there were many things I enjoyed about the first two seasons. Not least the nature of the Underwood's relationship. Such a relief to watch a U.S. TV show where infidelity is NOT a major story thread, or where one partner is lying to the other. Infidelity/dishonesty is such an overly used (id go so far to say "cheap") trick to create drama in television.

I gave up on HOC, too. Forgot about that one.

I really wish these shows would wrap things up after three seasons. That's when they tend to either go off the rails or get too repetitive. I remember being pissed when I heard they were going to cancel Bloodline after three, but after watching it I think it ended perfectly.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I loved HOC season 01 & 02. But stopped shortly after Underwood gets the Oval Office. That was kinda the pinnacle of his character arc really, isn't it. Not much further to go from there. And like you say, reality was swiftly becoming more outlandish than anything the shows writers could cook up. And it felt like it became more style over substance; what dress will the First Lady wear today? What opulent social scenario will they be in today? But there were many things I enjoyed about the first two seasons. Not least the nature of the Underwood's relationship. Such a relief to watch a U.S. TV show where infidelity is NOT a major story thread, or where one partner is lying to the other. Infidelity/dishonesty is such an overly used (id go so far to say "cheap") trick to create drama in television.

I agree Season 2 is sort of the high water mark....so far. However, at this point, I don't think Underwood's arc is complete. I think (or hope) starting this season, we see his presidency, and Underwood himself start to unravel, and the completion of his arc may be how he is finally taken down. But even if the upcoming season pretty much proves the show jumped the shark, I will still take HOC over a lot of other shows .

Guest El Chalupacabra

I should be excited about James Cameron possibly doing a (reboot?) trilogy of Terminator, but this video sums up my feelings about the franchise, perfectly....

First thing that comes to mind on this topic is The Force Awakens. I'm really counting on The Last Jedi to bring me back.

I'll add my name to the superhero shows. I was a huge fan of Smallville and even watched Birds of Prey all the way through. So as a big fan of DC in general and Batman and Superman in particular, I should be into the current DC TV-verse. But I've never watched any of the Arrow/Flash shows and I gave up on Supergirl and Gotham rather quickly. I have zero interest in the upcoming Krypton series. So I agree that the over saturation of superhero films/shows has affected what was once a love of the genre.

I'm also very interested in shows based on historical events, yet gave up quickly on Hell on Wheels and Turn. These are shows that when first announced I thought I'd be devouring like Thanksgiving turkey.

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, a lot of things in geek culture. I should like the Song of Ice and Fire, but can't get much more than a third the way through Game of Thrones, and could be bothered with the T.V series all together. I tired of the walking dead also. I pretty much don't watch t.v anymore. Marvel and DC superheroes don't do it for me either.

Classic Star Wars and Tolkien's stuff is really about it for me now. I listened to the entirety of the Lord of the Rings audiorecording while driving to and from my home in Calgary to my in-law's cottage in Georgian Bay Ontario - a drive of 33 hours each way, not counting rest stops and motels. Positively fantastic.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Good ones.

I'll also add: any Star Trek other than TOS. TOS had a point, and addressed real issues under the guise of science fiction. Everything past that, starting with TNG, was just sci-fi, and lost the heart of the original.

Not to single you out or anything, and really this is just for the sake of discussion, but I get that TOS was the first, and has the best characters in Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, etc. But you know the saying about TOS: "77 episodes, with about 30 good ones."

It seems to me that in the last decade or so, there seems to be this HUGE backlash against not just Voyager or Enterprise, but ALL of Star Trek, EXCEPT TOS. I don't understand why TOS is on such a pedestal for some folks, when it has some of the very same issues that TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT are guilty of. While it is true enough that TNG really didn't find it's legs until Season 3 (though Season 1 & 2 did have some good episodes), TNG had some really good stories between season 3-6. By season 7, it was feeling its age, and it is a good thing it ended at 7 seasons. I think when it was at its best, TNG was almost on equal footing with the best TOS and TOS movies. DS9 decidedly changed the tone of the Star Trek universe with its change in format and concept, and devolved into a war story, but I think it was both a world builder show that expanded on TNG, and for the most part, kept the core essentials of Star Trek.

Voyager, and the TNG films after FC is where I think things started to sour:. TNG went out on such a high note with All Good Things, then had a WTF movie with Generations, and was redeemed with FC, only to lose that momentum with Insurrection and Nemesis, both movies that were missed opportunities. Which also sums up Voyager: missed opportunities. It was decent enough, and does have some gems, but it seems like for every gem of an episode, you have to wade through 2 or 3 (and by season 7, 4 or 5!) mediocre to bad episodes.

Then you have Enterprise, everyone's favorite show to hate. I was disappointed myself when it was in first run, and did drop out of it midway through season 2, and didn't come back until towards the end of season 3 and watched about half the episodes through the finale. i never HATED Enterprise, but heard of and agreed with much of the criticism it received: it got flack for trying to sex it up with T'Pol (I like the female figure as much as the next guy, but the cat suit was downright stupid), and didn't follow what a lot of fans who read the novels or played FASA thought the show OUGHT to have been. It also (rightly) got flack for having some similar concepts to previous shows, but with 800 episodes in a franchise, that happens. I could forgive all that, but I think I reached saturation, and most of all, I was pissed they didn't feature the Earth Romulan war, which was rumored at the time to be in the works, but never happened. On top of that, you had this other show called BSG, and the other Stargate shows that seemed to out Star Trek Enterprise in many ways.

I binge-watched Enterprise around 2005-6 when I bought all 4 seasons on DVD. Still wasn't that wowed by it, but it seemed a little better that time though. I was still peaved we got the Xindi arc instead of the Romulan Arc. Then I forgot about the show for about a decade, aside from watching the occasional episode like In A Mirror Darkly, or a few others from season 4.

Then, recently when the price dropped for the re-released Blurays for the entire Enterprise show, I picked one up and binge watched that earlier this year. After a long break from that show, as well as most star trek shows, I watched it with fresher eyes. I found it to be a LOT better than I remember it. Sure there was an occasional stinker, but for the most part, those were few and far in between. It was more of a linear show with attention to detail to the greater story arc. After I watched the entire show all the way through, I was actually sad there wasn't a season 5. Objectively speaking, I have to say that Enterprise is a pretty damned good Star Trek show, and if I had to rank it, it definitely is better than Voyager, a good portion of DS9 and tng

Honestly, a lot of things in geek culture. I should like the Song of Ice and Fire, but can't get much more than a third the way through Game of Thrones, and could be bothered with the T.V series all together. I tired of the walking dead also. I pretty much don't watch t.v anymore. Marvel and DC superheroes don't do it for me either.

Classic Star Wars and Tolkien's stuff is really about it for me now. I listened to the entirety of the Lord of the Rings audiorecording while driving to and from my home in Calgary to my in-law's cottage in Georgian Bay Ontario - a drive of 33 hours each way, not counting rest stops and motels. Positively fantastic.

That makes me want to go on a road trip in some rainy/gloomy alpine environment and do the exact same thing. Sounds amazing. Usually when we go driving though I'll put on some atmospheric black metal or cinematic pagan folk/metal and it sends the mind to another realm. Sometimes it can be too hypnotising for the driver, but other wise it is amazing. I can imagine listening to Lord of the Rings whilst driving through forests and mountain ranges would be incredible.

The Walking Dead. Have no desire.

Also, never watched or cared to watch the Sopranos until about a month ago. Now I'm in the middle of season 2 and I'm really enjoying it. Taking my time with it, plan on getting through it all by end of the year.

My answer for any I like TOS over the others:

1) It knew what it was right away. It faltered, but it didn't take seasons to figure it out.

2) It has the most iconic characters of any ST, and among the most iconic of all time.

3) It was the only ST I had access to as a kid. We didn't have cable and TNG only aired on cable in the Columbus area, except at midnight on the Fox affiliate. I snuck a portable TV into my room sometimes and stayed up to watch it, but I couldn't do that very frequently.

4) I'm a fan of certain sci-fi, but I've never been a huge sci-fi fan in general. I think TOS did a better job of presenting something unique and different.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.