Shows/Movies you should like, but don't care about?

Not just looking for a bunch of people saying "I hate Big Brother" or "Big Bang Theory is the worst!"

I'm talking shows that really are things that you "should" like, based on your tastes/geek status.

I don't care about Game of Thrones, Doctor Who, or Walking Dead. I don't hate them, and I understand that people like them and even why, but they just don't interest me at all.

Game of Thrones is just too violence/sex for my tastes. I watched most of the first series of Doctor Who and just never got hooked. Walking Dead finished season 2, and I felt like the story I cared about had been told. Tried a couple of episodes of season 3 and realized that I had lost interest.

Game of thrones was too violent for you but you could handle 2 seasons of walking dead??

For me Twin Peaks would be the ultimate "I don't care" show for me. I tried a couple episodes but couldn't stand the tone of it... At all. I get the David Lynch hype...(I liked Mullholland drive and a straight story) but I'm just not on board with twin peaks. It feels like now days it's a show that's been co-opted by hipsters as a means to show how avant guard their film/TV taste is. And I know that's probably an unrealistic opinion on my behalf, but I can't help feel that is the case. But that's not the reason I don't particularly like it.. I got 3 or 4 episodes in, and couldn't stand the soft focus, the overacting, and the general cheeses vibe it has. Even though that's intentional. Even though my friends love it, and on paper so should I. I even tried pretending to like it. But I just can't.

I think that the violence is different. The Walking Dead wasn't really horribly violent in terms of human-on-human violence in those first two seasons. Mostly human-zombie, which doesn't really bother me as much.

I don't have any problems with more cartoon violence - I grew up with slasher films. In fact, I can't believe how young I was when I watched those movies.

But American History X? Saw it once and loved it, but will never see it again. Same with Hacksaw Ridge. To it's credit, GoT is seems pretty realistic. But that also keeps me away.

I'll consign that. You all know I've literally been saying Twin Peaks is the best show ever for over a decade.

I'm really mixed on the new show.

And I hate that the second you say that everyone is all OH YOU JUST DINT GET DAVID LYNCH YOU NORM

Bitch please, I've been rolling with Lynch since the 80s. I love his weirdest stuff. I've worked with his daughter. I'm a huge fan...

If this was The David Lynch show I'd be all in. But it's Twin Peaks and I want it to be what it was before.

On topic, people always seem surprised when I say I'm really not into fantasy. LOTR, GOT, Hobbit-- I can't stand any of it.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Star Trek Discovery

Far and away the biggest disappointment for me! I am probably one of the only few vocal and hard core Star Trek fans in this site, so this is very difficult for me to say that I don't give a rat's ass about Discovery (indeed I am shocked, too, because I even gave Enterprise and the JJ Verse a chance) . For years, I have wanted to see Star Trek return to the small screen, ever since Star Trek Enterprise was cancelled. I hoped against hope, and knew the odds were slim to none, but wanted to see at least a season 5 or a miniseries that gave Enterprise a better send off and covered the Earth Romulan War. That never happened. The Abrams movies are OK, but just didn't do it for me. My stance on the Abrams films can be summed up as this: Star Trek 2009 = B- movie, Star Trek Into Darkness = D+/C- movie, Star Trek Beyond = B- movie. They are god popcorn flicks, but lack the soul of Star Trek.

So, I was way stoked to Star Trek Discovery when it was announced. I was looking so forward to it, especially when they announced it was the Prime Timeline. Awesome! When they announced the team they assembled, I was down for that, because every era was represented by each writer, producer, director, etc.

Then we started hearing about CBS all access, and the pay to watch site. I wasn't thrilled, but open to it. Then, we heard it was a prequel. Uh-oh, I thought, but not a deal breaker. I was kind of pulling for it to be set half way between Enterprise and TOS, with the possibility of the Enterprise cast making cameos, and possibly seeing the Earth-Romulan war, even if it was in flashbacks. Then we got what the concept ship looked like last summer. Wasn't ecstatic because it looked more TMP than TOS, but I could accept that ship.

Then we got the turmoil, revolving doors of staff shake ups, rumors of CBS meddling, lawsuits against fan films, and that really started to sour me. Then casting choices were announced. I was on board with some of them, including and especially with Martin-Green from TWD being in it, I started to look forward to it again.

Then the pictures of the set, costumes, etc started to drop. I was like OMG. NOT Star Trek. Then the trailers hit, REALLY not Star Trek. Hated the new look of the space cadet uniforms. I HATE HATE HATE the look of the new Klingons ( I get that they want to update the look, but why not use the Abrams verse design?). The "refined" USS Discovery looks way worse than the lackluster concept. Death Sensing aliens...Lame! Every scene Martin-Green was in, was her looking pissy and arguing with someone (...is this a byproduct of reality TV I wonder...we can't have character interaction anymore unless everyone hates everyone else's guts and argues? Oh, the drama!). Clearly it was trying to ape Abrams Brand of Star Trek, as well as BSG. It just basically is every generic sci fi from the last 20 years with Abrams filming style, thrown in a blender and the Star Trek name slapped on it. And we get to PAY to see this hot mess? No thanks!

Game of Thrones

I was one of those D20 nerds in high school who read LOTR back when only nerds did. I SHOULD love this show, and originally I did, but a couple seasons back, I lost interest.

The Walking Dead

I originally was enthusiastic about this show, but by Season 3, I started losing interest. I've talked about it at length before, so no need to get into it, but I finally dropped out for good after last season's premier. Oddly, I am still in for Fear The Waking Dead, so go figure.

Doctor Who

I love sci fi, and I even caught Doctor who in the 1980s (Tom Baker, Colin Baker, and Sylvester McCoy were the Doctors I watched). But ever since the Doctor Who resurgence in the 2000s, I have had zero interest. I don't even know why. I tried watching it in about 2007 or 2008, not even sure which Doctor it was, but all I remember was him jumping from one flying car to the next, trying to bypass a giant high way traffic jam. Just seemed silly.

Pick a superhero show, any superhero show

I have yet to watch ANY netflix, FX, CW, CBS, or any other superhero show. Just NOT interested. At all. I was a moderate comic book guy when I was a teen and in my 20s many moons ago, with the occasional graphic novel/compilation book in my 30s. I SHOULD be a fan of some of these shows, especially with the crossovers. It was stuff I had only dreamed about. Now, though, I have reached superhero saturation, and I barely even care about most major hero movies now, let alone any TV shows .

I'll agree on superhero shows. I watch the Netflix Marvel shows and think they are decent, (not mind blowing). Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter though seemed terrible and boring to me.

The CW/DC shows all look so terrible I have zero interest.

But you know-- people assume I'm a superhero guy.

Discovery-- if I can train my brain to ignore continuity and timeline issues, I'll give it a shot. I won't pay for it, but I am interested enough to check it out.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Discovery-- if I can train my brain to ignore continuity and timeline issues, I'll give it a shot. I won't pay for it, but I am interested enough to check it out.

Here's the deal with me.....don't tease me with "prime universe," because that means to me you want to continue the era of Star Trek I know and love.

If you want to change stuff, do a clean break. Say it is a re-imagining like they did with BSG. Or set it in the goddamned Abramsverse, where we know history has changed!

That, above all, is why I am so pissed off.

With you there-- It looks like the early days of the Kelvin-verse. Fine-- do that then. Or go into the future beyond the current movie. Do what TNG did-- go far enough ahead that continuity isn't an issue.

They really put themselves in a box in terms of narrative AND fan expectation by doing a prequel. And let's be honest, calling it Prime is just a lie. Maybe Fuller intended it originally, but it's certainly not the case anymore.

I'll be MORE mad if after watching it there's no specific reason it needed to be a prequel.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Totally agree. I can be down if it is a prequel to the Abrams verse. But why not just SAY that? I just get the feeling they chose this time period for no other reason than name recognition.

What will piss me off the most is if it will become apparent that the writers\producers\CBS doesn't know the difference between the prime verse and abramsverse at all. I am getting that vibe that they don't even know there ought to be a difference.

I am OK with the time period if it is Abramsverse or reboot*, even if it doesn't lead to a direct reason for it being a prequel to the Kirk era. But if it is prime timeline, I don't think there is ANY way to explain why it is a prequel we need.

*note: being OK with it doesn't necessarily mean I am going to watch it.

♫ TIME TO COMPLAIIIIIIIIN ♫

Game of Thrones --- Once the books are finished I will make a decision about whether or not I will read any of them books. Once those necessary and sufficient conditions are met, well, then I'll decide about the TV show. I feel that this is a reasonable and understandable approach to take regarding the absorption of long-term iterated art and its adaptations into other media, but hey, world, as the kids say, you do you. I feel like I could semi-accurately describe the events on Planet Westeros pretty well despite never cracking open one of G.R.R. Martin's tomes or seeing an episode of the Home Box Office's smash hit, and, well, on some level that kind of disturbs me but it also brings me some small level of comfort too. Once civilization collapses and we're all stalking around campfires begging for scraps of food from our betters then I too will be able to tootle out "a Lannister always pays his/her debts" or "Jon Snow, you know nothing(s)" and maybe that'll earn me a little half-sustenance for the evening. Probably not.

The Walking Dead --- Watched the pilot, remembered how I felt about the fifty-some odd issues of the comic series I had read up to that point, and made my decision. I saw the first season of the spin-off (although I think I watched the second half of it on a treadmill / elliptical because I have next to no memory of it) and gave up after that.

Arrow --- hah hah, look, I like the Supergirl TV show as much as the next guy (is Alex Danvers actually a Luthor? I'm, like, half-sure Alex Danvers is going to be revealed to be a secret Luthor) but this'n and the rest of the uccchhhhh Berlantiverse isn't on the table for me. Wait, is Gotham a part off the Berlantisphere or no? I should probably give Gotham a try.

Supernatural --- look, I thought it'd be cancelled after one year on TV (caught an advert for it in the back of a WildStorm comic) and I pre-committed to watching it all once it was over and that was in a previous saeculum so who knows what will happen now.

Zoo / The Strain / The Mist --- are these all the same show?

The 100 / The 4400 --- same question.

Orphan Black --- I hear it's in its final season so maybe once it's all wrapped up I'll give it a try. Until then, no.

Legion --- Saw the pilot. I hear that the show is disconnected from it's X-men-inaty while also simultaneously involved with some real deep dives from X-men-inaty; well, all I know is that I like watching Dan Stevens more as a steely-eyed emotionless monster than as a manic maniac so this show was not for me. But maybe I'm wrong? I was wrong about Fargo. I was super wrong about Fargo. I thought to myself, "Self, you love the Coen Bros., so why would you want to watch a mere rip-off of them?" while somehow ignoring that ceaselessly absorbing unceasing imitative knock-offs of far superior original product is kind of my jam, that's what comics are to me (were? I haven't read a comic since September, who knows, maybe that habit is kicked for good), just being deeply involved in the end result of a teensy tinsy community of craftsmen constantly re-arranging the work of their predecessors and peers. That's everything I like, right there. That's the hallmark of pretty much all things I enjoy and value.

The Marvel Netflix Shows --- I don't know what particular species of brain damage I have that makes me think I should try and watch four episodes of Iron Fist without ever once dipping into Daredevil or Luke Cage (I did see that there Jessica Jones, nice little piece of hardboiled crime fiction, when he makes that guy throw his own coffeecup into his own face, my god, still, come on, earplugs, right? Just wear earplugs all day every day!?) but that's the kind of brain damage I got.

Oh, and also Luther, Hannibal, Legend of Korra, Yuri on Ice, True Detective, Twin Peaks (shut up, Lynch works best for me in discrete doses to be ruminated over afterwards; I don't want to engage with his stuff as a sustained narrative, I could change my mind though, I wonder if he dies and I know there'll never be another David Lynch movie I might change my mind on this) , Mr. Robot, wait, didn't we do this thread a few years ago? Oh, hah hah, I forgot about movies, well, we'd be here a while.

Bump on the superhero shows...especially on Netflix. They just don't even register on my radar anymore. I think the Marvel films are mostly to blame for this, and to an extend DC too. I think a lot of people have reached total saturation with Superheroes in any filmic medium. I chuckled in Deadpool a couple times but thats as far as my enjoyment really went. I want to see Wonder Woman, but not cause I actually want to rather I don't want to be on the outside of the dialogue going on about it. I kind of only want to see it cause I think I have to. But otherwise I've pretty much had it up to my eyeballs with Superhero anything.

Doctor Who.

I'm a British geek, so I should be all over it, but I genuinely hate the kookiness and actively avoid everything Who related (though I did watch the first two episodes of Torchwood. It was **** so I stopped). I want my sci-fi well done and serious; rubbish effects and over-the-top characters will guarantee turning me away and Who ticks both boxes. If I wanted that, I'll watch American TV shows, and actually watch Flash, Arrow and Supergirl because you Americans can actually pull it off, but in a British TV show, it's just cringe, especially when we have a history of producing very very good and grounded TV series (The Tunnel, The Fall, Luther, A Touch Of Frost, etc) - I just wish we could apply the same to sci-fi TV series. Give me a sarcastic curmudgeon of a Doctor and I might reconsider, but until then, the only good thing about Who is the theme song.

Good ones.

I'll also add: any Star Trek other than TOS. TOS had a point, and addressed real issues under the guise of science fiction. Everything past that, starting with TNG, was just sci-fi, and lost the heart of the original.

Wow I guess I'm not the only one that soured on both Game of Thrones and Walking Dead, two shows I liked a lot initially but got tired of around season 3.

At this point all I care about is watching the season finale of each show.

Video games

I know this thread is about movies/tv, but still. I just can't with any game that's come out past 1998 or so.

I feel you. I don't care about first person shooters, JRPGs, or most sport games, with the exception of fighting sports.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Doctor Who.

I'm a British geek, so I should be all over it, but I genuinely hate the kookiness and actively avoid everything Who related (though I did watch the first two episodes of Torchwood. It was **** so I stopped). I want my sci-fi well done and serious; rubbish effects and over-the-top characters will guarantee turning me away and Who ticks both boxes. If I wanted that, I'll watch American TV shows, and actually watch Flash, Arrow and Supergirl because you Americans can actually pull it off, but in a British TV show, it's just cringe, especially when we have a history of producing very very good and grounded TV series (The Tunnel, The Fall, Luther, A Touch Of Frost, etc) - I just wish we could apply the same to sci-fi TV series. Give me a sarcastic curmudgeon of a Doctor and I might reconsider, but until then, the only good thing about Who is the theme song.

The only way I see I could ever possibly be interested in Dr. Who is if they cast John Noble as Dr. Who. He would be pretty awesome at it, I think. Christopher Lloyd might have been able to pull it off too, but people would already know him as Doc Brown. John Noble could probably overcome people knowing him as Walter on Fringe. Other than that, 100% agree with what you said.

Which leads to a question I have....why was this NOT done already?

The hokey aspects of Dr. Who are the only thing I don't like, and I'm a big fan. Sometimes we forget it is a kids show, so crazy goofy concepts are going to happen. Sometimes I wish they'd try it totally hard scifi, but I don't know if it would be the same show.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Fair point on both counts. A few years back, I seriously tried to rewatch some classic Tom Baker Dr. Who (my favorite Dr.), and just couldn't do it. I shut it off after 15 minuted into 1 episode, and the rest of the compilation DVD set went unwatched, and eventually sold. I am sure the revival stuff would fare much better (better acting, better FX), but I just can't find the motivation to give it another try. Might be unfair of me to base a whole series on one bad episode experience (this episode, I mean, which is supposed to be one of the better ones), but no one has ever cited anything or given me a good reason for me to want to watch Dr. Who.

Not just looking for a bunch of people saying "I hate Big Brother" or "Big Bang Theory is the worst!"

But aren't those accurate?

I don't know if I have a geek status...do I? But I get you and I'll contribute before reading the thread, like I always do.

Orange is the New Black: I have never seen this and so many people I like-mostly women-tell me I MUST. I dunno. Prison? Really?

Game of Thrones: I do feel like I'm missing some eye candy here, if nothing else?

House of Cards: The current Presidential administration and its sometimes thrice-daily antics are quite enough at present.

Fair point on both counts. A few years back, I seriously tried to rewatch some classic Tom Baker Dr. Who (my favorite Dr.), and just couldn't do it. I shut it off after 15 minuted into 1 episode, and the rest of the compilation DVD set went unwatched, and eventually sold. I am sure the revival stuff would fare much better (better acting, better FX), but I just can't find the motivation to give it another try. Might be unfair of me to base a whole series on one bad episode experience (this episode, I mean, which is supposed to be one of the better ones), but no one has ever cited anything or given me a good reason for me to want to watch Dr. Who.

Same, and I loved it as a kid. I think Classic Who is unwatchable now in terms of pacing, acting, visuals-- it's fun as an artifact, but it's so stodgy and z-grade. You have to be a hardcore scifi nerd or Who fan from old to hang with Classic Who.

But yeah-- Gridlock is a TERRIBLE episode. One of my least favorites, and exactly the sort of thing I am talking about.

If you want to give Who a fair shake try out the two-parter Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead. Doctor Who has been many things over the years-- a monster of the week show, a hard scifi show, an action adventure, a time travel-travel weirdness show... these two episodes manage to do all those things at once, showcase the best qualities of The Doctor, and not be too overly cheesy (outside of some low-level base cheese that comes with all things British Scifi).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.