Ranking the MCU

Driver

I think also what Marvel has done is they obviously have one huge franchise but they also have several sub franchises. Each hero is his own franchise. That helps prevent it feeling like they are seeing the same thing. I mean they started with Iron Man, if they were on Iron Man 18 now I don't think theyd be doing as well.

I was actually going to post something related to that about Star Wars. Basically thus far there has been "Star Wars", I think what they are doing is trying to create different franchises inside Star Wars. I mean even this Solo movie could spawn a franchise. If Solo is well received then why not release "Lando" in a couple years, then "Solo 2" after that and eventually bring the 2 back together.

I think Disney realizes that if they keep making Star Wars movies that eventually they will start making less money. Eventually they will have a movie that makes 180 mil domestic like Ant Man or 230 like Dr Strange. But they also know that once in whlle one will hit right like Black Pather has and it will go crazy.

It;s really crazy how Marvel has been able to do this. What I said in the previous paragraph isn't a knock. It's just amazing how they do this. Everyone keeps saying super hero fatigue will set in but there is zero evidence of it.

Part of it is wishful thinking, part of it is just relative. Doctor Strange and Ant-Man didn't light the box office on fire, but they did just fine for the sake of pushing the franchise forward. Age of Ultron and Civil War didn't quite hit the lofty heights that were predicted, but are still $1 billion movies. Will Infinity War do as well as Black Panther? Probably not and that will bring it up again.

This is a bit off topic but its funny to me to see there are 18 Marvel movies with 3 coming every single year. People talk about "super hero" fatigue. I've read articles about it a few times, but is there any evidence that it's true? I mean Black Panther and Infinity War are getting released less than 3 months apart and they will make a combined what? 3 Billion bucks worldwide? 2.5 billon? Something like that.

What's more amazing is that the first movie in each characters story are all the same (I haven;t seen Panther yet so it could be an exception) but they all follow a storyline wherein the hero fights someone with the same or very similar powers. Iron Man fights another guy in a suit. Hulk fights another Hulk basically. Cap fights another guy who took a similar syrum. Thor fights another God. Ant Man fights another guy in an ant suit. It's the same thing over over. Yet people just keep going to see them.

It;s really crazy how Marvel has been able to do this. What I said in the previous paragraph isn't a knock. It's just amazing how they do this. Everyone keeps saying super hero fatigue will set in but there is zero evidence of it.

I'm tired as shit of super hero movies.

The "evidence" not being there is kind of irrelevant anyway. You quote box office sales as evidence of these movies as successful. And financially that maybe so. But there is no method to gauge mass-audience ENJOYMENT of these movies, so you wouldn't really necessarily see evidence of this fatigue, especially since people will still go to the cinema to give things a shot anyhow. Once they've bought the ticket their enjoyment is irrelevant, by your method, as the box office has already got their money.

Eventually sure, but people also go to the movies and buy tickets to things just because they want to go and will see whatever they get served, regardless of satisfaction, as long as it has the right character or is a certain franchise. Up until a point.

All I was trying to do was illustrate that your method of evidence based around sales doesn't take enjoyment or engagement into account. Which is also the main flaw in TV ratings. That X amount of people tune in to whatever show speaks nothing of the quality of said show, or people's enjoyment of it. It just means they would rather watch that than whatever else is on.

In regards to superhero fatigue, I propose that gauging said phenomena would be a little more than looking at ticket sales for evidence.

But there is no method to gauge mass-audience ENJOYMENT of these movies

Sure there is. They survey people who just walked out of the theater.

Yeeeaaahhhh.... That's not gonna get you enough data to get an accurate representation of the audience at large. (I'm thinking on an international scale here, being that what you consider domestic I do not). There is some serious labour involved in that.

I'm not saying there definitely is fatigue, and certainly not that the majority of people suffer from it. I'm just saying there is no way you can say for sure there isn't. (Choc suggested there is no evidence to support such a statement which is what pulled me into the convo).

I'm aware that just because I suffer from superhero fatigue doesn't mean most others do too. (Though I suspect there are plenty of regular movie goers who do suffer superhero fatigue.) But also the converse is true.

Box office sales are a good datametric for trends and level of enthusiasm on a mainstream scale.

It cannot measure the taste or intelligence of the audience, or the quality of the film. It's numbers. Fatigue would be designated by mass numbers losing interest, something the box office would 100% reflect.

Updated list.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
2. Captain America: The First Avenger

^ Close to perfect Marvel movies, right next to Raimi's Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 (it says much that Raimi's two non-MCU films share that "best of" distinction, while the rest of the ever-so carefully planned MCU fail--in some way--to reach that level of quality).

3. Doctor Strange
4. Captain America: Civil War (but the Cap/Bucky scenes were so strong and consistent with the other films, it threatens to swap places with Dr. Strange)

5. Thor

​6. Black Panther (essentially a remake of Thor in so many ways, that it might as well rank right after it)
7. The Avengers
8. Ant-Man
9. Iron Man
10. Thor: The Dark World
11. Incredible Hulk (...but its terrible that every bloated budget Hulk movie's Banner pales in comparison to the TV version perfected by Bill Bixby)
12. Iron Man 3
13. Iron Man 2
14. Guardians of the Galaxy
15. Avengers: Age of Ultron (get rid of the Marvel characters and its almost a Power Rangers movie)

​16. Thor: Ragnarok
17. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
18. Spider-Man: Homecoming

• 1 month later...

Re—RE-revised:

1. Captain America: Civil War

2. Captain America: Winter Soldier

3. Iron Man

4. Spider-Man: Homecoming

5. Thor: Ragnarok

6. Black Panther

7. Infinity War

8. Guardians of the Galaxy

9. Avengers

10. Ant-Man

11. Captain America: First Avenger

12. Incredible Hulk

13. Doctor Strange

14. Thor

15. Iron Man 3

16. Thor: Dark World

17. Age of Ultron

18. Guardians of the Galaxy 2

19. Iron Man 2

Top tier-- the MCU best, second tier, good movies, essential viewing for completion, third tier-- average, could be skipped, bottom tier-- poop movies.

Cream of the crop:

1. Captain America: Winter Soldier

2. Thor: Ragnarok

3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

4. Guardians of the Galaxy

Good movies:

5. Avengers: Age of Ultron

6. The Avengers

7. Iron Man

8. Captain America Civil War

Competent movies. By happenstance, all the first in their series:

9. Ant-Man

10. Captain America: First Avenger

11. Spider-Man: Homecoming

12. Black Panther

13. Doctor Strange

Not completely awful, but not up to the MCU standard

14. Avengers: Infinity War

15. Thor

16. Iron Man 2

Failed movies:

17. The Incredible Hulk

18. Thor: The Dark World

19. Iron Man 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.