Ranking the MCU

Driver

I was asking you, since in a thread about the MCU, discussing the number of origin stories in the MCU, you said:

I just think it's too bad origin stories were overused on characters that didn't really need them, to the point that the more obscure characters won't be getting them in the same detail.

And there also is no proof, or even remote reason to believe, that Marvel will back off on origin stories.

Perhaps not, but they managed to just drop Black Panther into CA:CW without much more than, "Oh, he's from Wakanda". And it's not unlikely that the writers, directors and producers of these MCU films are themselves tired of the same story-telling formats by this point. Ant-Man didn't really get, or need, an origin story. It's just tech, like the IM suits. I would not be surprised if Captain Marvel isn't just introduced as simply being superpowered, never mind how and why. It'd be more important, from a continuity point of view, to explain why she's not been active (at least overtly) on Earth since the Avengers formed.

I would say that Ant-Man had an origin story every bit as much as Captain America did. Both involved someone else creating the method of achieving power, but the origin story is of the superhero and not the technology.

As for origin stories: three superheroes haven't gotten some type of origin story: Hulk, Black Panther and Spider-Man. Six have, including one right before Black Panther was introduced and one after. I've included Guardians as an origin story because it introduces the characters and serves as an origin of the Guardians of the Galaxy.

So, based on my figures, 1/3 of characters haven't gotten origin stories and two are incredibly well known and had origin story films in the recent past before being introduced in the MCU. I would say that Marvel is still very much into origin stories.

Well, Spider-Man and Hulk both had previous movies that while not part of continuity, still made them known to mass audiences. Also, it could be argued that classically, Spidey and Hulk were the two most well-known characters going in. I bet that Black Panther at least has a flashback or opening scene to establish the history of the Panther. I'm curious to see how they explain his powers.

of what I've seen... I guess really these movies just fall into two camps for me:

'Cool'...

Captain America: Winter Soldier

Guardians of the Galaxy

Captain America: Civil War

Age of Ultron

Avengers

Iron Man

...and 'Just Alright'...

Iron Man 3
Black Panther

Doctor Strange

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Captain America: First Avenger

Iron Man 2

Thor

Ant-Man

1. Captain America: The First Avenger

2. Captain America: Civil War

3. Captain America: Winter Soldier

4. Ant-Man

5. The Avengers

6. Guardians of the Galaxy

7. Doctor Strange

8. Iron Man

9. Avengers: Age of Ultron

10. Iron Man 3

11. Thor

12. Iron Man 2

13. Thor: The Dark World

14. Incredible Hulk

I haven't seen GotG Vol. 2 and Spider-Man: Homecoming yet.

• 2 months later...

1. Captain America: Civil War

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

3. Thor: Ragnarok

4. Spider-Man: Homecoming

5. Iron Man

6. Captain America: The First Avenger

7. Ant-Man

8. Doctor Strange

9. Guardians of the Galaxy

10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

11. Iron Man 3

12. Thor

13. Avengers: Age of Ultron

14. The Avengers

15. Iron Man 2

16. Thor: The Dark World

17. The Incredible Hulk

Revised:

2. Captain America: Winter Soldier
3. Iron Man
5. Thor: Ragnarok
7. Avengers
8. Ant-Man
9. Captain America: First Avenger
10. Incredible Hulk
11. Doctor Strange
12. Thor
13. Iron Man 3
14. Thor: Dark World
15. Age of Ultron
16. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
17. Iron Man 2

My ranking for anything like this changes all the time, but this is how I'd put it today:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Iron Man 1
3. Thor: Ragnarok
4. Avengers 1
5. Spider-man: Homecoming
6. Doctor Strange
7. Captain America: Winter Soldier
8. Guardians Vol. 2
9. Captain America: First Avenger
10. Ant-Man
11. Thor 1
12. Iron Man 3
13. Captain America: Civil War
14. Thor: Dark World
15. Avengers: Age of Ultron
16. Iron Man 2
17. Incredible Hulk

• 2 weeks later...

Im incapable of ranking. I can separate them into tiers, thats the best I can do

But I dont wanna. I just wanna post this quote I stole from /co/ which sums up how I feel about Avengers 4:

All I want is a sequence only a few minutes long in Avengers 4 when Chitauri or whatever Thanos minions are all over Earth and there's a montage of the Defenders fighting them in NY, the Inhumans fighting them in Hawaii, the Runaways fighting them in LA, the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. cast fighting them wherever, Cloak and Dagger fighting them in New Orleans and the New Warriors fighting them in Milwaukee while Captain America gives a voice over speech about the reliance of the human spirit and how we'll always fight to the end as he stands up to Thanos about to kill him

I don’t understand the desire to see TV characters in the films. The films are brimming with characters already. Besides, if any of the Defensers actors had been on set in character, wouldn’t that information have leaked? Are the filming schedules even compatible?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my revised ranking after seeing Homecoming and GOTG Vol.2.

1. Captain America: The First Avenger

2. Captain America: Civil War

3. Captain America: Winter Soldier

5. The Avengers

7. Ant-Man

8. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

9. Doctor Strange

10. Iron Man

11. Avengers: Age of Ultron

12. Iron Man 3

13. Thor

14. Iron Man 2

15. Thor: The Dark World

16. Incredible Hulk

• 2 months later...

1. The Avengers

3. Iron Man

4. Guardians of the Galaxy

5. Black Panther

6. Captain America: Civil War

7. Spider-Man: Homecoming

8. Thor: Ragnarok

9. Ant-Man

10. Thor

11. Captain America: The First Avenger

12. Iron Man 2

13. Thor: The Dark World

14. Avengers: Age of Ultron

15. Incredible Hulk

16. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

17. Iron Man 3

18. Doctor Strange

It can and should be. Unfortunately it's not happening organically. As with most things today it's being hijacked to forward certain views. This is a good movie that should stand on its own merits.

Just to clarify when I say "should" I'm talking about Black Panther being a character that blacks can look at with pride. I'm talking about the message of the movie not being one about isolationism of culture, but the benefits of becoming more inclusive.

Well, Spider-Man and Hulk both had previous movies that while not part of continuity, still made them known to mass audiences. Also, it could be argued that classically, Spidey and Hulk were the two most well-known characters going in. I bet that Black Panther at least has a flashback or opening scene to establish the history of the Panther. I'm curious to see how they explain his powers.

TEN POINTS FOR ME.

Re-revised:

3. Iron Man

5. Thor: Ragnarok

6. Black Panther

7. Guardians of the Galaxy

8. Avengers

9. Ant-Man

10. Captain America: First Avenger

11. Incredible Hulk

12. Doctor Strange

13. Thor

14. Iron Man 3

15. Thor: Dark World

16. Age of Ultron

17. Guardians of the Galaxy 2

18. Iron Man 2

Top tier-- the MCU best, second tier, good movies, essential viewing for completion, third tier-- average, could be skipped, bottom tier-- poop movies.

This is a bit off topic but its funny to me to see there are 18 Marvel movies with 3 coming every single year. People talk about "super hero" fatigue. I've read articles about it a few times, but is there any evidence that it's true? I mean Black Panther and Infinity War are getting released less than 3 months apart and they will make a combined what? 3 Billion bucks worldwide? 2.5 billon? Something like that.

What's more amazing is that the first movie in each characters story are all the same (I haven;t seen Panther yet so it could be an exception) but they all follow a storyline wherein the hero fights someone with the same or very similar powers. Iron Man fights another guy in a suit. Hulk fights another Hulk basically. Cap fights another guy who took a similar syrum. Thor fights another God. Ant Man fights another guy in an ant suit. It's the same thing over over. Yet people just keep going to see them.

It;s really crazy how Marvel has been able to do this. What I said in the previous paragraph isn't a knock. It's just amazing how they do this. Everyone keeps saying super hero fatigue will set in but there is zero evidence of it.

The sad truth is, "fatigue" is something that only happens to people with discerning taste and judgements. The masses do not possess these things. People like all of us, who have been into some aspect of geek culture for decades-- we'll see the fatigue. I've been seeing it for at least 5 years. But the average person who wants to drop $20 on a Friday night to see some explosions, hear a few good one-liners, and watch bad guys get beat-- they'll be lining up forever.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.