Game of Thrones, Seasons 7 and 8

irishdancer2

The one death I think should have happened was the Hound. Thinking about it last night, I think it would have a lot more powerful if theyd reversed Beric and the Hound and it was he who died protecting Arya.

Sure we wouldnt get Cleganebowl but it would have subverted that expectation and her taking down the Mountain later to cross a name off her list as well as something to do in his honour would have been a nice touch.

I will retract these words if Arya ends up in power...

So much for diversity in Hollywood storytelling. A woman in power will always be evil or crazy. You need a white male to save the day...

No joke. :unimpressed: But to be fair, pretty much all the men in power have been evil and/or crazy as well. And Yara/Asha isn't crazy (yet) or evil, so there's that. I think all the other women in power died last season.

I will retract these words if Arya ends up in power...

So much for diversity in Hollywood storytelling. A woman in power will always be evil or crazy. You need a white male to save the day...

Not this again

If we're going to go after battle tactics, I still don't get Dany not flying the dragon around Euron's fleet and burning the ships from behind. I get the shock of seeing Rhaegal being shot out of the air, but then she flies straight towards his fleet before backing down. I doubt those turrets swiveled 360°.

If we're going to go after battle tactics, I still don't get Dany not flying the dragon around Euron's fleet and burning the ships from behind. I get the shock of seeing Rhaegal being shot out of the air, but then she flies straight towards his fleet before backing down. I doubt those turrets swiveled 360°.

Or like, seeing the fleet from a mile off considering she was airborne... But whatever

Who knew there was a Starbucks in Winterfell? I might catch something like that cup one out of ten movies/shows. Sorta like Howard The Duck in the final battle scene of Endgame.

At least now we know that Stark is just a shortened version of Starbuck.

I don't really get the negativity towards last night. I thought it was awesome and the best episode since 'The Winds of Winter."

I mean.. this guy explains it pretty concisely:

warning though.. extremely crass and full of f-bombs and c-bombs

I don't feel as strongly as he is putting it forward, but I agree with most of his points.

For me the episode was a bit of a microcasm for some of the things that have been good and bad about the show for a while now. Does it make sense that Euron could just show up? Ofcourse not. Are the huge crossbows the coolest invention ever on the show, absolutely not. Although if I know my Westerosi history one of Aegon the Conquerors dragons was killed by a large cross bow shot through the eye. Certain things about the episode were frustrating.

Having said that what made the episode great is that the vast majority of it dealt with what the show still does great and always has done great. Little talks between the characters have always been the heart of the show and this episode was great at it. From the celebration where Dany sees Tyrion with his brother and Jon with his Northmen and Wildlings and realizes how isolated she is and how loved Jon is. Then her pleading, ordering and beggin Jon to not tell his "sisters" the truth. To Jon being naive and trusting enough to tell them and ofcourse Sansa using that info for her own ends.

Some of these little scenes were just perfection. The war planning party where Sansa makes the very reasonable suggestion of giving the soldiers rest and Dany refusing. Sansa and Tyrions meeting where Tyrion rationalizes way his fear of Dany. Obviously the conversations between Tyrion and Varys were just excellent.

The whole storyline with Dany is just so great. You can just see it in her head "I came North to fight YOUR war and protect YOUR people. I did what a good Queen does and protected the people rather than just taking my Throne and I've lost alot because of it and you people still don't want me or love me. What the hell!!" Her just slowly giving up her ideals as she gets closer to the Throne in some ways, yet further in others, in her lust for the Throne.

Someone before said they don't think the show will have a satisfying ending. I just totally disagree, there are so so many ways this could go which would be 100% satisfying for me. Dany going totally over the edge and burning the city wit jon having to kill her? Awesome. Dany nearly doing that, realizing she can't, pulling back and then dying fighting Cersei? Sounds good to me. Jon accepting his lineage and becoming King, great. Him dying heroically, sounds good. Him surviving and just walking away from it all, works too. Sansa marrying Genry and them ruling together? Awesome. Jaime having to kill Cersei, great. Jaime not being able to get over his love for his sister and dying due to it? No problem.

Also, happy my prediction from July of 2017 is playing a role"

Lastly I'm also wondering about Varys' long term loyalty. I thought the scene last week between Varys and Dany was basically to show that Dany is willing to listen to criticism but still demands loyalty. But now I'm not so sure. I think it was to put the idea out there that Varys is looking for the best possible Monarch, which right now he believes is Dany. What happens when he meets Jon Snow? The Jon Show who doesn't think he deserves the throne or that the throne belongs to him. The one who truly only wants to serve the people? The one who truly looks at Kingship as a responsibility rather than a right? The one who got ancient enemies like the North and the Wildlings to join common cause against a common enemy? How long until Varys decides that King Jon is the best option for the realm?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.