Game of Thrones, Seasons 7 and 8

irishdancer2

Yeah...it's probably not going to happen. Just thought I'd throw it out there regardless. But that LOOK from Tyrion...I can't figure out what that means. Maybe jealousy. Maybe like..."this isn't going to end well for them". That look clearly meant something and I don't know what it is.

The best theory I read is that they were shagging in his cabin and he just wanted to go to bed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Definitely psyched for this. A bit bittersweet to be finishing the story in tv form rather than book form though. Take solace in the fact that alot of what Im interested in from the books isn't even present here.

We should all enjoy this, this kind of anticipation for a shows finale hasn't been seen in a long, long time. And it may not be seen again for a long, long time.

I agree about the bittersweet aspect, and also what you said after.

It's so wildly different at this point that I barely consider them connected.

But I'm still totally down to be completely entertained over the next 7 weeks (and of course I'll be bitching the entire time too :D )

Yeah, I'm excited for it, but I'm more excited to be done with it and finally get a conclusion than anything else. I've long since given up hope of there ever being any more books, so with about 15 or so years of waiting for this story to end (I can't even imagine the people who've been waiting since A Game of Thrones was first published), I'm very ready for it.

I was thinking the other day about people in here worrying about the ratings in season 5, lol.

Hardhomme (S5E8) saved the show, I believed it then and I believe it now. Made the difference between a limp to the finish line and a finishing surge.

GoTRatings.JPG

You can see it reflected in viewer ratings as well that people thought S5 sucked. There was definite reason for concern (not that it was going to get canceled or anything, but that it wasn't going to maintain what it had going).

I think you may be oversimpifying it but yeah Hardhome was such an improvement over the first 7 episodes of Season 5 that it was very important. Although I think the improvement continued through the end of the season with Shireen being sacrificed, Cersei's shame walk and Jon's murder. The first 7 episodes of the season were the nadir of the show for sure and they needed to right the ship, which they did starting with Hardhome.

However the continued growth of the show's ratings has alot to do with HBONow, which was launched a the same time as season 5. First off people who already stole the show started to say "hey, lets just get this we don't need cable and it'll be alot easier" and ofcourse people who never had HBO before got it and gave the show a chance.

Oh, it starts tonight... missed that somehow.

(Will be watching all of the important bits as clips on YouTube and reading synopses as usual. Have never seen a complete episode.)

I thought I was the only one who did that!

I only have access to free-to-air TV (often called "terrestrial TV" in the UK), don't even have a satellite dish. I used to download wildfeeds of Buffy via Usenet so that I could be part of that conversation, but don't have time (or money) to go chasing after the latest GoT episodes.

I'm only a casual fan anyway (and in a not-meant-to-be-critical sense, I think it's just [HBO] Rome with dragons), and much more interested in well written / acted scenes like Orlenna's confession and Tywin / Arya than the spectacle.

Oh, it starts tonight... missed that somehow.

(Will be watching all of the important bits as clips on YouTube and reading synopses as usual. Have never seen a complete episode.)

I thought I was the only one who did that!

I only have access to free-to-air TV (often called "terrestrial TV" in the UK), don't even have a satellite dish. I used to download wildfeeds of Buffy via Usenet so that I could be part of that conversation, but don't have time (or money) to go chasing after the latest GoT episodes.

I'm only a casual fan anyway (and in a not-meant-to-be-critical sense, I think it's just [HBO] Rome with dragons), and much more interested in well written / acted scenes like Orlenna's confession and Tywin / Arya than the spectacle.

You can watch it on Sky Now TV (which is web based) if you want. You can get a week free trial I think. Then just cancel it once your done .

idk if you have different paid television tiers over there like we do in the US, but here HBO is a premium channel that you either have to have the most expensive cable package to get, or you have to pay $15/month to legally stream for just one stations worth of shows. Pirating just doesnt appeal to me. I watched the first... three seasons? And finally got sick of HBOs money games and gave it up.

Theres not enough time left on this show to deal with lazy writing of dissension amongst the northerners. Otherwise I really liked this first episode.

I like the that stuff. My main concern for the show was that the battle against the Walkers was so high stakes that it would make everything that came before meaningless. This shows that is not the case. Ofcourse Sana and Arya don't like Dany. I mean what do they know about the Targaryans? Aerys burned their uncle and father to death. Rhaegar kidnapped and raped their aunt. Their family rebelled against them. It would make no sense for them to be cool with her as Queen. What made the show great early, and somewhat has been lost in recent seasons, is that characters always react in ways that make sense for that character. Arya and Sansa have to act the way they do because acting any other way wouldn't make any sense.

Well yeah, I understand that they SHOULD just deal with that. But remember neither Sansa nor Arya have seen the army of the dead. I think they both believe it's real but like probably anyone else they won't truly understand what is coming down from the Beyond the Wall until they see it outside Winterfell.

We see the story from an omnipotent POV, the characters don't. Dany should have refused Jon bending the knee and marked him as her equal, thus avoiding this problem.

Plus Jon is seeing another side of Dany. Obviously he hears of her murdering the Tarly's while they are prisoners. Dany also makes a threat to Sansa "If she can't respect me then..." at that point she is interrupted. Then he is asked a couple quesitons about her that we don't see his response to. Sansa asks him if he bent the knee cause she would be a great Queen or because he loves her. And Sam asks him if she would give up her crown to save her people.

They are planting seeds for conflict between them.

Well the first EP was a satisfying beginning. Can't wait to see what Jaime has to say to Bran.

The Hound is still awesome. Theon is totally gonna die regaining his honour. I reckon Dany will probably die trying to save Jon Snow (I mean Targaryan). I doubt they've the stones to kill Jon off. But maybe they do and Gendry winds up on the throne. Or maybe Sansa does, but that'd suck.

Actually, Jon and Dany will probably die together taking out the Night King and restore the name of house Targaryan to greatness. Cersei will die somehow, leaving the throne open for Gendry who may or may not have shacked up with Arya. Pretty much every other major name is gonna die.

I have a feeling they're going to deal with the Night King and the Dead by mid-season and they'll spend the rest of the season, or last 2 episodes, dealing with Cersei and the Golden Company. Kind of like a Return of the King deal (book, not film)

The guy who plays Sam did a great job in his scene, poor guy. And the look on Jon's face when he found out he was banging his Aunt...classic.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.