Is Endor the name of the moon or its planet?

Filthy Jawa

If I remember correctly, the movie refers to it as "the forest moon of Endor", which could go either way. I think I've wondered this for a while and finally just looked it up. Wikipedia seems to say it's the name of the planet, Wookieepedia says it's the name of the moon.

I know this is where to come for the truth.

As far as "is it the moon or the planet", I don't know if there is a consistent, official answer, but the way my brain works is:

Endor has to be the planet. If it were the name of the moon, they wouldn't keep calling it the "forest moon of endor". Just call it Endor. Because that's what it is. The shield generator is on Endor; case closed. No more extra words. But they keep calling it moon of Endor, so it must be the planet out of necessity.

I agree with Dana-kin. When Palpatine orders Vader to hide the Imperial fleet to await the Rebel attack, he says "send the fleet to the far side of Endor. There it will stay until called for." Here I believe he is talking about the planet Endor. He is hiding the fleet on the side of the planet that is opposite the forest moon. If it were just on the other side of the actual moon the Rebels would probably pick up on it.

Later Palpatine tells Luke, "Your fleet is lost and your friends on the Endor moon will not survive. There is no escape, my young apprentice." To DANA-kin's point, if Endor was the name of the moon there would be no need to say "Endor moon." Just Endor or moon.

I agree with Dana-kin. When Palpatine orders Vader to hide the Imperial fleet to await the Rebel attack, he says "send the fleet to the far side of Endor. There it will stay until called for." Here I believe he is talking about the planet Endor. He is hiding the fleet on the side of the planet that is opposite the forest moon. If it were just on the other side of the actual moon the Rebels would probably pick up on it.

Later Palpatine tells Luke, "Your fleet is lost and your friends on the Endor moon will not survive. There is no escape, my young apprentice." To DANA-kin's point, if Endor was the name of the moon there would be no need to say "Endor moon." Just Endor or moon.

He says "sanctuary moon"

If the planet of Endor is uninhabitable but the moon is it is possible that colloquially both are referred to simply as Endor. If the planet is not inhabitable then no one would ever go there, but they may to the moon which is simply called Endor as well. Not too different than New York State and New York City. When someone says they are visiting New York we usually assume they are visiting the city, however they could be 7 hours away from the city in fact. Ofcourse there would always be know it alls who when someone mentioned Endor would be like "you know Endor is the planet, not the moon". I hate guys like that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.