Spiderman: Homecoming

Ms. Spam

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm tired of all these spider movies. What about the other bugs? Sure they tossed us a bone with Ant Man, but what about the Blue Beetle?

Spiders are arachnids, not bugs.

I'm tired of all these spider movies. What about the other bugs? Sure they tossed us a bone with Ant Man, but what about the Blue Beetle?

I used bug in the generic sense. That's why I didn't say insect. It is an arthropod.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I used bug in the generic sense. That's why I didn't say insect. It is an arthropod.

Even in the case of insects, technically not all of them are hemitera, AKA bugs! But I kid. :p

I am shocked at the restraint that THT is showing about the spelling of the movie's title.

NumberSix is the one who gets angry about Spiderman.

• 2 weeks later...

Ambush Bug could be D.C.'s answer to Deadpool, if not for violence then mature humor.

Pair him up with 'Mazing Man in a theatrical release and watch so many heads explode.

Jonni DC completes the Trinity.

$125m+ opening. Rave reviews by critics and fans. I've been keeping my feelings in check with this movie, not getting my hopes up, but other than the new Apes movie next week, this is now my must watch movie of the year for me. And the difference? Marvel touching this film. I'm making plans to watch this movie with my son on Monday.

Guest Robin

My family and I throughly enjoyed this film. It's not perfect, there are a few dialogue strings which don't feel natural at all, but overall no real complaints.

This is by far my favorite Spiderman film. One of the things that's always impressed me with Marvel's films is how successful they have been at casting and "capturing" marvel's characters. When I see Tony Stark, Thor, etc, on the big screen, I feel like I'm actually seeing those characters. Not actors playing those characters. I feel like I'm seeing characters who have come straight out of the comics to the big screen. The actors have, by and large, done a pretty good job of owning their roles in my opinion. The problem I've had with the two previous movie incarnations of Spider-Man is that I always had trouble buying the character I was seeing as the Peter Parker I knew from the comics (kinda the same problem I have with DC's movies). This film didn't feel forced in that way. I am sold on Tom Holland (is that his name?) as Peter Parker. I guess this movie being set in the extended marvel universe also went a long way toward making me feel like I was finally seeing the "real" Spider-Man. Now, if Fox would only let Marvel do a FF film...

Saw it yesterday. Putting my thoughts behind a spoiler warning both for tautological reasons (there are spoilers in what I say!) and because, come on, you get what my deal is by now, one hopes.

a) Okay, first of all, you can't just lard in a bunch of great actors I recognize (but, crucially, all of whom will work for cheap) into a generic instance of Marvel Cinematic Universe cinematic by-product and expect me to like it. What is this, 2009? No way, man, this is 2017! That trick doesn't work on me no more! Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on me again, but fool me ... uh ... I'm gonna check Wikipedia, twenty-two times (I think so, this is the 16th MCU film, but there have been six TV shows too) then I guess so. I guess I just like recognizing people. Josh Chan's Mom from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend shows up as the moderator of the science-trivia contest in Washington D.C. - that is my letter grade for this movie, that is the number of stars out of five I assign it, this Spider-Man gets Josh Chan's Mom number of stars from me. This is a Spider-Man movie where that happens. I mean, the Sam Raimi Spider-Man films were ones where Aasif Mandvi was Peter's boss at his pizza-delivery job and Reed Diamond played Algernon opposite Mary Jane in her off-Broadway adaptation of an Oscar Wilde play. I can acknowledge this is not new territory. We have maps!!! And it's not like this isn't a super obvious phenomenon present in each and every collaborative entertainment medium - I don't know what I was expecting, brand new actors and actresses for each film and TV show I watch? I don't know what's wrong with me, really. I don't know why I judge a movie better because in it Martha Kelly plays a Washington Monument docent and the kid from the Wes Anderson film shows he's got real range (seriously, best Flash Thompson by a country mile, when he plays the reggaeton triple airhorn at the party, when he wants them to save his trophy first, when he calls Spider-Man "sir", I want a Flash Thompson movie w/ this kid, I want him to get his legs blown off in the Vietnam War, I want him to get the Venom powers, let's go, let's ride this train 'til the end). I don't know why a movie that only exists largely as a living after-effect of the results of amoral corporate compromise (at some point, somebody at Sony realized that they couldn't just keep churning these out on their own in the boonies, discarding the people making them as irrelevant and replacing them as needed, that they had to interlock them w/ the work of their rivals, and they did, and it's a lot of fun, I'll grant you that, but I kind of feel like we're the kids and this is Jurassic Park and we've just realized that the raptors are sentient enough to co-operate --- to boil it down, what I mean is this : if two giant feuding corporate conglomerates can get it together enough to realize that Spider-Man belongs as a constituent part of a larger wider universe the way it was when he was created by Ditko & Lee then they can also get it together enough to realize, say, we should all be turned into a fine nutritious mulch. They probably have already agreed to that!! I want my corporate behemoths to disagree w/ each other, I guess, but I also like it when they make things where Bokeem Woodbine gets to play around a bit.) still has the capacity to disappoint me, but I left this movie feeling disappointed. I went in knowing this was basically the fun, peppy Spider-Man movie and I got a fun, peppy Spider-Man movie so why am I so empty? Why am I so broken? Hah hah, why do I feel so cheated? thrill by providing me w/ clear evidence that someone out there sees what I see when I look at the people on the TV and movie screens and see somebody I like, who does things I like enough to notice, and chooses them to put them in their thing too. I guess I just like the Casting Department of this movie, it made me feel like a way I interact with art was the way other people interact with art too (which is, after all, not a feeling that there's too much out there to contradict, a lot of the cultural conversation regarding TV and movies out there revolves around this point, I'm sure every single one of these actors and actresses have their fair share of thinkpieces and interviews out there w/them, I'm not special for noticing Zach Cherry or Hemky Madera is special, that's not how specialness is, there is no transitive property here for the specie).

If the above is too long and you didn't read, well, I liked the parts of this movie with people in them.

b) I think figuring out who Iron Man is to Spider-Man, and realizing that he's the sort of a semi-equivalent counterpart to J. Jonah Jameson (who is on his own, even when he's not literally hunting down Peter in robotic Spider-Slayers w/his moustachioed face on them, nearly a Classic Old Man Villain like the rest of them from the original Ditko run) in that he's a guy who orders him around and actually thinks he's trying to help him in the long run but in the short run is just throwing obstacles in his path was a good thing. I think there's a version of this film, maybe somewhere in its tortured history of re-writes between whenever they decided to make Michael Keaton the love interest's dad and whenever they arrived at the final product of this dumb paint-by-numbers screenplay (hah hah, the main character LITERALLY saves the cat), where Spider-Man and Iron Man actually physically fight due to misunderstandings in the classic Marvel Comics fashion which might have been a bad step (recognizing what parts of the classic Marvel Comics repertoire are good steps and which are bad steps is probably a tough part of the process for making all twenty-two of these things and the endless number of them upcoming in our still somewhat semi-plausible future, so. for example. if we make it as a civilization to the release date of the next Thor movie we'll see if having Thor and Hulk fight still has enough juice or if it was a misstep) but, who knows, might have been a good one.

c) I think giving Spider-Man someone to talk to other than himself is probably the chief benefit of the Tony / Peter relationship in this movie, and that's only a partially unnecessary side-effect of it, really, if Peter Parker can come up with webshooters himself then he can purchase or pirate off-the-shelf AI software too. I guess what I liked about it is even though they had this Karen happen they still made sure to have plenty of Spider-Man talking to himself before and after, because I always liked that, I don't ever feel like that's something about Spider-Man or superheroes in general which needs to be either removed or replaced. In fact, everyone should talk to themselves in public all the time, and not only in movies, I mean in real life too. I'm doing it right now, with these words I'm typing!

d) I feel like I'm a little behind the times on the Marisa Tomei as Aunt May conversation, assuming such a thing exists either here or in the wider world, but I think an interesting fillip to it is to note that Betty Brant has also been de-aged as well? She's a tweenybopper? She was Elizabeth Banks in the Raimi films and now she's, like, eleven. Even in the original comics she was always a grown woman, she worked as a secretary at the Daily Bugle while Pete was still in high school, is everyone getting younger? Is that it? When Tom Holland dies will they replace him a literal foetus?

e) In the final fight (whose location is set-up fairly well by the opening) both Spider-Man and Michael Keaton let a very large engine that has been knocked loose from the plane crash into what seems like it must be a populated area and I was genuinely surprised that this happened because both of them had been shown to be the type of person that wouldn't let this occur, and the movie had been doing a lot so far to show itself to be the type of movie where this wouldn't happen, so I guess my question is this : did that happen? Maybe I didn't see what I saw? Maybe I am sufficiently unfamiliar with NYC geography to not know they were obviously crossing a river or something? But it sure looks like Spider-Man shot web into a jetplane's engine and the engine sorta exploded and cut loose from the body of the plane and tumbled out of the sky and crashed down into what must surely be somewhere with somebody in it or around? I don't know, man, with great power comes great responsibility, don't throw jet engines down from the sky.

e2) Other than that, no real complaints, action was occasionally lacklustre and CGI rubber-y in the way it still is w/this guy even after all these years but often still p. adequate, liked the Staten Island Ferry fight a lot. Loved the two bits cribbed from the comics (Spider-Man straining under rubble, sure, from #33, but I also think him in the suburbs is from somewhere too), loved the little weirdo matter-shifting cube thingies and the great gag where Spider-Man knocks his head on the van as a result of them turning off, loved the little throwaway line "They also defeated death" in the in-school news program hosted by Child Version of Betty Brant and Someone Else Who Is Almost Certainly Also Some Sort Of Easter Egg, loved the movie's good use of the middle finger, that always works for me, loved the sidekick Ned who may be more of a little more of a mix between the two side characters invented for each of the varieties of Ultimate Spider-Man than merely Ganke alone, I guess I am down for these Spider-Mans forever, I guess I will just keep watching them because they're going to keep making 'em, I guess the Spider-Mans will continue pour encourager le autres and there's nothing I can do about it.

Ive never been a big Spider-Man fan past the age of 8 years old. I thought the Raimi movies were stupid. But I loved this one. My only complaint was the handy movie coincidence of Vulture being Liz's dad. A city the size of NYC and your nemesis ends up being the father of the girl you like?

Pfft!

And I loved MJ and screen-guy. Great supporting cast.

My favorite Spider-man movie by a long, long shot.

The Raimi movies were pretty good, but they were way too tied to the overt cheeziness of the 60's and 70's version of the character. (We won't even talk about the Amazing movies.) This one was pitch-perfect in adapting Spidey in how he's been portrayed for about fifteen or so years now. Tom Holland absolutely nailed the part as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.