The real reason Mass Effect Andromeda was ****ter than it should've been.

Odine

My guess, because Bioware were more concerned with making this: https://www.ea.com/games/anthem Which looks visually stunning. I'm reserving judgement on the actual game till we know a lot more, but the polish on this thing is amazing.

I reckon being that Mass Effect is a pre-existing IP with a lot of guaranteed sales, established clientele and that, Bioware put the "B" team on Andromeda development, to give newer and upcoming devs within the company more experience developing a AAA game.

Just a lightbulb thought I had whilst watching e3.

Kind of intrigued by Anthem.. if a little cautious.

Here's a great piece on the failure of Andromeda:

http://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428

Having read it, it all sort of makes sense.

Unfortunately I have zero interest in Anthem. I don't like shooters outside of Battlefront, and there's not much they can say that would convince me that this isn';t just a major Destiny rip-off in more ways than one.

I agree it looks cool-- but no thanks.

Guest Robin

I am greatly annoyed with the lack of support for Andromeda, but I will resist the urge to become annoyed with Anthem just because it exists. I am uncertain of the correlation/causation (take a drink if you play that game) for the new IP hurting Andromeda's development.

If Anthem hits all the notes that Destiny should have done when it was initially pitched to the public... then I'm in. Destiny fell short in sooooo many areas, that were not just simply hype either... the company cut features and story from the game the developers said would be in, and promoted heavily. Bioware on the other hand are capable of making great narratives work within a mass multiplayer context, can make amazing action games and write cool characters. It could be something special. But I'm pretty jaded these days as a gamer and I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

Will read that article you linked a bit later, Driver.

Bioware on the other hand are capable of making great narratives work within a mass multiplayer context, can make amazing action games and write cool characters.

Ahh-- but there's the rub. Do you still trust bioware to be that company? Because everything about Andromeda says they are no longer those people. Hence my struggle--

But yeah, if it was a deep narrative space opera story with power armor and pathos, I'd be all in. But it looks like a dungeon crawler/grinder/loot/craft/ level up rinse repeat game-- which I hate.

Bioware on the other hand are capable of making great narratives work within a mass multiplayer context, can make amazing action games and write cool characters.

Ahh-- but there's the rub. Do you still trust bioware to be that company? Because everything about Andromeda says they are no longer those people. Hence my struggle--

But yeah, if it was a deep narrative space opera story with power armor and pathos, I'd be all in. But it looks like a dungeon crawler/grinder/loot/craft/ level up rinse repeat game-- which I hate.

Yup. Hence my reservations too. Im holding onto the idea that the B team were working on Andromeda, and the head designer left half way through development, causing lack of vision and leadership. So hopefully the A team is still the same kick ass Bioware. If they fail to deliver in this one, or just deliver the slick-but-no-soul grindfest you describe... ill turn my back on Bioware too.

At least CD Project Red still exist with their company ethos intact the wait for Cyberpunk 2077 will be worth it all!!

As will Star Citizen.

There is still hope.

Yeah sweet! I never played the original. I've only done a couple table top RPGs in the height of my high school dork-ness.. DnD and Vampire the Masquerade.

CyberPunk has me amped and I don't know anything about it. Know of any decent resources a quick google wouldn't turn up?

Guest Robin

All that plus MEA feels like a last gen game. Oh sure the maps are massive etc and there are multiples of massive maps, but overall it just feels like an expansion or conversion mod for ME3.

I can see where the dev team was inspired by changes to the Dragon Age franchise with the Inquisition sequel. Unfortunately MEA lacks much of the cinematic experience of the previous MA installments and also Dragon Age Inquisition, which likely contributes to the lack of "feels" and emptiness.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.