CNN fires Kathy Griffin for beheaded Trump "joke"

Justus

In the case of Stephen Colbert he'd be off the air. His rating spiked when he started going after Trump.

If anything, negative Trump coverage has proven to be ratings gold. CNN and MSNBC have seen their rating skyrocket since the inauguration. More and more shows spend a ton of time on the Trump news bite of the day. The problem will eventually come when people start to get burned out on all the negative coverage. They're just going to change the channel.

I feel like Justus wants to fight somebody, so I'll do my best!

Without defending Kathy Griffin, cause I never thought she was funny before, during, or after this crap, I will say that if we're suddenly going to be offended by things that are tasteless that come out of a mouth of a comedian, shouldn't we be equally offended by the tasteless things our President does? Like what he has about said women? Or how he's made fun of the handicapped?

Just saying if we're holding a z-level comedian to a higher standard than the office of the Presidency, I cry foul.

Is it being held to a higher level, or are they just guilty of different things?

I'm going to play devil's advocate and offer that it may be a good thing for people to be upset about something other than Trump. We have a bare minimum of the years left of Trump, unless he resigns. A Republican Congress isn't impeaching him unless he commits murder in public. Even if Democrats win both houses in 2018 (which isn't likely), the impeachment process isn't going to be fast.

So, really, we have 3.5 years left till he potentially gets replaced through the election. If we only care about his scandals, or potential scandals, for that long, outrage fatigue is going to set in and he'll win in 2020 as well.

I'm just talking about base level public reaction from the right. You know-- the people screaming on social media. I'm making generalizations, but it seems like the type of people pretending to be offended over Griffin are fine with Trump being tasteless in his own way.

Again-- I don't really have a horse in this race. I don't care enough about her and think the reaction is a waste of everybody's time.

Even if Democrats win both houses in 2018 (which isn't likely),

Close to impossible given the Senate map. Democrats would have to win 3 seats and Republicans only have 8 seats they have to defend in Arizona, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming. While funny things happen in elections, 6 of those 8 are some of the brightest red states in the country. Only Arizona and Nevada are immediately vulnerable.

Meanwhile, Democrats have 26 seats to defend in places like North Dakota, Montana (where you'll recall, they just elected a Republican after he assaulted a reporter), West Virginia, Indiana, Missouri, Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan. All states, that, you'll note, Trump won. Plus a few more potentially difficult states like Virginia and Minnesota.

If Republicans manage to lose a single seat, much less three, with that map, it'll be a huge upset.

Just to make a quick distinction from a similar vein, while I still don't like the use of the word, Bill Maher's been in trouble lately for dropping an n-bomb on his show. It wasn't directed at anyone except himself. That seems another matter, just a comedian trying to get a rise by using a naughty word. Hell, the greatest stand-up comedian ever, George Carlin, had his most famous, though far from funniest, bit revolve around his "Seven Dirty Words" you're not allowed to use on television. So I'm giving Maher a pass on this one. I'd prefer if he didn't drop n-bombs, but this seems a rather low-level offense. Particularly on a network where the word is tossed around in other stand-up routines regularly.

And I think the real reason for the little uproar is so that people can be angry with Ben Sasse just for being in proximity while it happened and not immediately calling out Maher for being mildly provocative.

I'm just talking about base level public reaction from the right. You know-- the people screaming on social media. I'm making generalizations, but it seems like the type of people pretending to be offended over Griffin are fine with Trump being tasteless in his own way.

Again-- I don't really have a horse in this race. I don't care enough about her and think the reaction is a waste of everybody's time.

It's not just the right that screams on social media like crazy banshees.

Case in point...

Tuffy Gessling, a rodeo clown in Missouri. He wore a mask of Obama while at a rodeo. The same thing he did for Bush, Clinton and Reagan. However, the left went into a frenzy about it, saying he was disrespecting the President, a bigot, etc. The man was fired and banned for life from his profession in the state.

So both sides of the crazy train are equal in their stupidity. I just hope one day all of us in the middle will say 'enough' and tell them to GTFO.

It's not just the right that screams on social media like crazy banshees.

Yeah. They all do it now. Watching a sort of right wing political correctness take flight from the anti-SJW backlash is grimly humorous, though hardly surprising. If pompous and over-the-top displays of protest and backlash is what's going to get media exposure, that's what people are going to do.

I feel like Justus wants to fight somebody, so I'll do my best!

Without defending Kathy Griffin, cause I never thought she was funny before, during, or after this crap, I will say that if we're suddenly going to be offended by things that are tasteless that come out of a mouth of a comedian, shouldn't we be equally offended by the tasteless things our President does? Like what he has about said women? Or how he's made fun of the handicapped?

Just saying if we're holding a z-level comedian to a higher standard than the office of the Presidency, I cry foul.

Fight? Not at all. Griffin needed to be exposed for her vile, threatening "humor" at a time when her fringe left pals believe they have the floor to say whatever sickening thing they want about the rest of the world. The reaction to Griffin simply means a long-needed spotlight falls on her--and others usually claiming to be the most tolerant, loving people in the known universe.

Well I think left leaning celebrities, which are most of them, will always jump at the chance to alleviate their guilt. The problem with Griffin is that she's a total hack and an emotional wreck. She knows she sucks and that all she'll ever be remembered for is this colossal failure.

Even though I've never liked her "comedy" I do feel sorry for her. Hopefully this is the last we'll ever hear from her. Hers will hopefully be a cautionary tale for those that have no point and no talent.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.