Booze or Drugs

Tex

Caffeine addiction is so socially acceptable that it's normal for people to block traffic on major streets because they're in a mile long drive thru Starbucks lane. Risking death for coffee is fine because omg can't function without it!!

I hate coffee drinkers. All the memes and jokes and shit you see on social media irritate the he'll out of me.

I am reactionary about Starbucks. I just hate them.

Interestingly I think if cigarettes were something newly invented in this day and age the FDA would ban them. But then people vape. But I see that fad fading.

Our prudish attitudes about alcohol maybe drive us down the road to hell in the US. In many countries kids can drink (Ugh warm beer in Germany) so it's not a "risky" behavior because it's normalized. While there is still alcoholism outside of the US the trigger to become an alcoholic is set at a higher threshold because of work policies in say Europe and social healthcare and education.

Technically speaking, yes, caffeine, alcohol, or cigarettes are drugs. But I don't think anyone was being hypocritical or judgmental. The question was asked what booze or drugs we were in to. Speaking for myself, I answered what I was and currently am in to. Simple as that.

I was more talking about Western society as a whole, not really pointing it out in this thread or pointing to anyone in particular.

Our prudish attitudes about alcohol maybe drive us down the road to hell in the US. In many countries kids can drink (Ugh warm beer in Germany) so it's not a "risky" behavior because it's normalized. While there is still alcoholism outside of the US the trigger to become an alcoholic is set at a higher threshold because of work policies in say Europe and social healthcare and education.

Alcohol is probably the most dangerous of all the drugs, legal or otherwise, because not only are attitudes far more relaxed about it (you can openly talk about getting absolutely battered, black out puke up drunk at the weekend, but you can't talk too loudly about getting high as fuck lest the wrong people overhear), but it's also massively damaging physically, to the liver over the long terms, to the effects of alcohol poisoning, to how debilitating alcoholism is and to what it can cause you to do to yourself and others around you. Society practically encourages you to drink, but to have a quick puff on a non-cancer causing substance that mellows you out, can help ease long term pain, and is nowhere near as addictive? LOCK 'EM UP

Caffeine addiction is so socially acceptable that it's normal for people to block traffic on major streets because they're in a mile long drive thru Starbucks lane. Risking death for coffee is fine because omg can't function without it!!

I hate coffee drinkers. All the memes and jokes and **** you see on social media irritate the he'll out of me.

I'm a coffee drinker, and I agree. I make my coffee at home. Cheap Folgers. I spend three cents per serving. People who brag about their coffee drinking are annoying.

But people who brag about anything they consume annoys me to some degree. Especially when it's not unique in any way.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I hate coffee drinkers. All the memes and jokes and **** you see on social media irritate the he'll out of me.

I'm a coffee drinker, and I agree. I make my coffee at home. Cheap Folgers. I spend three cents per serving. People who brag about their coffee drinking are annoying.

But people who brag about anything they consume annoys me to some degree. Especially when it's not unique in any way.

You hit the nail on the head. Coffee braggers are particularly annoying. It seems like that people who make a big deal about a $6.00 latte generally brag about pretty much everything else they have or do, too.

I was more talking about Western society as a whole, not really pointing it out in this thread or pointing to anyone in particular.

I guess I misunderstood, and I guess I agree with you, up to a point. But there is a big difference between heroin and a Pepsi. Where it is I suppose is up for debate, but I think there should be a line between what is acceptable, and unacceptable. But I will just leave it at that, because I really don't want to get into a long, drawn out discussion.

But there is a big difference between heroin and a Pepsi. Where it is I suppose is up for debate, but I think there should be a line between what is acceptable, and unacceptable.

Now I'm curious as to how deaths linked to obesity compare to overdose deaths from heroine.

I only smoke socially, while drinking. I'm drinkingnow!butnit smoking

I never took you for a social smoker! In fact for some reason I imagined you weren't a drinker either... I don't know why I would think that, but there you go...

This 1000%

It infuriates me when we have to be somewhere, we're in the car and on the way, and my gf or mom or whomever is all OH I NEED TO STOP AND GET COFFEE.

I HATE how it's socially acceptable to pause life for coffee. I can't stand it.

And I'll gladly agree cigarettes and booze is as destructive as drugs, in some cases even more. Pot is still illegal in most states and yet booze is responsible for countless more deaths.

Geez, you smoke a little tobacco and ingest a little coffee and Krawlie and Driver turn into my mortal enemies! That sucks. A little.

I guess I'm lucky I'm not addicted to nicotine. And I've gone off of caffeine so many times that a few days off of it doesn't bother me anymore. I don't have any problems quitting - I do it every night before bed!

Guest El Chalupacabra

But there is a big difference between heroin and a Pepsi. Where it is I suppose is up for debate, but I think there should be a line between what is acceptable, and unacceptable.

Now I'm curious as to how deaths linked to obesity compare to overdose deaths from heroine.

Fallacy. To begin with, not all people who drink soda are obese. Now, if you don't see the difference between heroin (or any opioid for that matter), and what kind of wreckage heroin addiction causes versus drinking soda pop, I really don't know what to tell you. Not to mention wars have been fought over heroin and opium. I don't mean this in a condescending way, but really, they are apples and oranges. Respectfully, I am not really interested in debating this further, though.

Fallacy. To begin with, not all people who drink soda are obese. Now, if you don't see the difference between heroin (or any opioid for that matter), and what kind of wreckage heroin addiction causes versus drinking soda pop, I really don't know what to tell you. Not to mention wars have been fought over heroin and opium. I don't mean this in a condescending way, but really, they are apples and oranges. Respectfully, I am not really interested in debating this further, though.

See, this is why I was curious, because you seem to just have a knee-jerk reaction against it; it's an instant NO YOU'RE WRONG HEROIN IS WAY WORSE THAN SUGAR. I'm genuinely curious, because when you say wreckage, what are we talking about? Overdose deaths? Crime surrounding drug abuse? The destruction of families? And is the knee-jerk reaction a reaction to the use of the drug itself or the culture of crime that has built up around it due to it being illegal? It's only apples and oranges to you because drinking soda pop is culturally acceptable, yet shooting heroin isn't. Both can be addictive, both can have massive detrimental effects to your health, yet neither can cause a problem if done in moderation. I personally would rather see the taboo attitudes towards drugs change drastically to the point where, instead of being shunned and being treated like dirt, drug addicts were seen as people in need of help rather than as criminals. We don't shoo fat people out of society and force them to buy Twinkies from the shady dude hiding on a street corner out of sight of the police patrols, we encourage them to work out, eat right and shed the pounds, so why can we not extend this to drug addicts?

Also, wars have been fought over tea too, yet I don't see that mentioned, plus as sugar became more popular in the 19th century, the demand for cheap labour pushed the slave trade in to overdrive. So, yeah, in terms of historic international relations, sugar has been just as detrimental as opium.

You could contract other diseases if you were sharing the can like addicts share needles.

My point here isn't so much that sugar is as bad as heroine, it's more to highlight the hypocrisy in attitudes towards drugs.

See, this is why I was curious, because you seem to just have a knee-jerk reaction against it; it's an instant NO YOU'RE WRONG HEROIN IS WAY WORSE THAN SUGAR. I'm genuinely curious, because when you say wreckage, what are we talking about? Overdose deaths? Crime surrounding drug abuse? The destruction of families? And is the knee-jerk reaction a reaction to the use of the drug itself or the culture of crime that has built up around it due to it being illegal? It's only apples and oranges to you because drinking soda pop is culturally acceptable, yet shooting heroin isn't. Both can be addictive, both can have massive detrimental effects to your health, yet neither can cause a problem if done in moderation. I personally would rather see the taboo attitudes towards drugs change drastically to the point where, instead of being shunned and being treated like dirt, drug addicts were seen as people in need of help rather than as criminals. We don't shoo fat people out of society and force them to buy Twinkies from the shady dude hiding on a street corner out of sight of the police patrols, we encourage them to work out, eat right and shed the pounds, so why can we not extend this to drug addicts?

Also, wars have been fought over tea too, yet I don't see that mentioned, plus as sugar became more popular in the 19th century, the demand for cheap labour pushed the slave trade in to overdrive. So, yeah, in terms of historic international relations, sugar has been just as detrimental as opium.

Its the criminal element that largely is responsible for Heroin's extreme dangers. Fluctuating purity of product on the street (due to drug dealers cutting heroin with other chemicals) leads to users playing Russian roulette with their dosage which is responsible for the majority of OD's and fatalities. All the **** that Heroin is cut with.. poisons far more detrimental to the anatomical system than pure heroin is itself. There is an argument that if it were made legal yet heavily regulated, everyone would be much better off.

Alcohol is one of the most vicious, insidious drugs I have ever been exposed to. Its up there alongside methamphetamine in many areas, IMO. The level of violence, impaired judgement, and addictive nature associated with it is crazy. And yet I still love a few beers in the evening. Go figure.

https://www.wvdhhr.org/bph/oehp/obesity/mortality.htm

https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topics/trends-statistics/overdose-death-rates

https://www.wvdhhr.org/bph/oehp/obesity/mortality.htm

https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topics/trends-statistics/overdose-death-rates

But drugs are the worst thing evar, we need to fight drugs, drugs is bad.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Like I said, I'm not interested in a sophistic debate of soda VS heroin or other opioids with you. I have a close friend locked up because of the poor choices he made (armed robbery), because he was addicted to heroin and meth. I have family members who either lived or are living with the consequences of long term opioid use, that was prescribed and used for legit medical reasons (treating insufferable pain from neuropathy....palliative care ), but the trade off being other multiple health issues they have to deal with. My opinion is not a knee jerk reaction as you call it, but if you want to know the long term effects of either of those on the human body, feel free to google it and look it up yourself.

If you want to go on thinking heroin addiction is perfectly fine and doesn't need to be treated, and is no more harmful than soda, go right ahead. I've no interest in debating this further, or discussing it with you.

If you want to go on thinking heroin addiction is perfectly fine and doesn't need to be treated, and is no more harmful than soda, go right ahead. I've no interest in debating this further, or discussing it with you.

Both can be addictive, both can have massive detrimental effects to your health, yet neither can cause a problem if done in moderation. I personally would rather see the taboo attitudes towards drugs change drastically to the point where, instead of being shunned and being treated like dirt, drug addicts were seen as people in need of help rather than as criminals. We don't shoo fat people out of society and force them to buy Twinkies from the shady dude hiding on a street corner out of sight of the police patrols, we encourage them to work out, eat right and shed the pounds, so why can we not extend this to drug addicts?

Where in there does it say that heroin addition is perfectly fine and doesn't need to be treated? Don't debate me all you like, but don't misrepresent my views either. It's clear you're completely missing what I'm trying to say, so I'm done too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.