Wonder Woman!

Ms. Spam

How power levels have changed a lot over the years in comics, going up and down and up and down. Sometimes she can fly, other times she needs her jet.

I think the movie presents that she's near-God uber warrior status for most of the movie. Obviously superstrong and somewhat invulnerable, but not fully invincible. In the end she essentially leveled up-- which doesn't quite track with how she should be in BvS. We'll have to see in Justice League.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Robin

Maybe Diana's powers temporally increase with her emotions. I'm not saying Diana could have a Hulk-Out metamorphosis nor making a time of the month joke... although I guess I did anyway. I am referencing the physiological phenomenon whereby humans while under great stress are able to do things they shouldn't be able to do. This can then be resolved and implied in a single line involving how Diana's passion fuels her outlook/physicality.

Side Note: Here is a geeky comparison of character personalities and also how those personalities nicely tie into how they employ their powers; Batman is Spock (logical, tactical and cold to the point of severity), Superman is Kirk (rational but implusive, naturally the unifier with a rigid moral code and sense of duty) and Wonder Woman is McCoy (intellectual, unbelievably compassionate... never forgets how, and a refusal to stand by as, actions trickle down to little people).

Guest El Chalupacabra

Maybe Diana's powers temporally increase with her emotions. I'm not saying Diana could have a Hulk-Out metamorphosis nor making a time of the month joke... although I guess I did anyway. I am referencing the physiological phenomenon whereby humans while under great stress are able to do things they shouldn't be able to do. This can then be resolved and implied in a single line involving how Diana's passion fuels her outlook/physicality.

How power levels have changed a lot over the years in comics, going up and down and up and down. Sometimes she can fly, other times she needs her jet.

I think the movie presents that she's near-God uber warrior status for most of the movie. Obviously superstrong and somewhat invulnerable, but not fully invincible. In the end she essentially leveled up-- which doesn't quite track with how she should be in BvS. We'll have to see in Justice League.

This was by far the best movie I've seen this summer. Wonder Woman is, so far, the only thing the DC cinematic universe has gotten right in my opinion. She was the only silver lining in the dark cloud that was BvS, and I agree with whoever said above that Gal Gadot owns the role in the same way that Hugh Jackman and RDJ owns Wolverine and Tony Stark. I never want to see someone else play Wonder Woman.

Now, I'm not that knowledgeable on WW, so someone help me out here. How vulnerable is she? Will bullets bounce off her like Superman? I'm assuming not because why would she even need to deflect them with her bracelets like she does in the No Man's Land scene? But shouldn't she practically be invincible because I remember Ares saying that only a god can kill another god. Does that not apply to Diana sense she is only "half-god?"

Just a minor nit-pick, but I kinda felt that the movie could have benefited from a scene where Diana showed some kind of remorse over having to kill people. She killed a lot of German solders in this movie, often with a smug smile on her face. I found this odd given that she considered them good men under the influence of Ares.

Not that I am an expert on Wonder Woman lore by any means, but I have been reading up on WW history since seeing the movie.

I get the sense that the DC Cinematic Universe Wonder Woman as presented is at least a demigoddess, if not an out and out goddess. The Amazons seem mortal, but are they human, or are they demigoddesses themselves? They seemed separate from the rest of humanity and were specifically created to guide mankind (or maybe it should be humankind?). The backstory given seems to indicate that the Olympians are all (or mostly) killed off by Ares, and seems to imply the Amazons are some of his last surviving "children," or creations, and he goes to great lengths to protect them from Ares, so that makes me lean in the direction of the Amazons being maybe not quite demigoddesses, but more than human. Add to the fact that Zeus is her father, which if you go by mythology, demigods like Theseus, Perseus, and Heracles were arguably more powerful than many gods and goddesses. If Zeus knows the Olympians' and his time are at an end, but he needs to create something or someone who can stop Ares, it stands to reason that Dianna / Wonder Woman could be not just a demigoddess, but one that is Zeus' masterpiece, so to speak: hence the God Killer, and therefore Zeus' most powerful child, ever, including Ares. In fact, we don't quite know what happened to Zeus yet, so who is to say he didn't give most, if not all his power to Diana / Wonder Woman. If that is the case, she may have a power level that is off the charts.

One thing is for sure, this Wonder Woman seems to draw from a little bit of all Wonder Woman Lore, but the movie is definitely its own take on the character, so not all rules apply. One thing that has always kind of bothered me about DC is that Wonder Woman, if she is a demigoddess, or goddess, "should" be more powerful that Superman. We just accept that Superman is the most powerful of the Justice League because it's DC, and Superman is their first hero. I know the Man of Steel film sort of addresses that by basically establishing that he is genetically engineered and not just an ordinary Kryptonian, but like Diana, specially bread to be the best of the best, and in his case, will in the future potentially be the father of a new Earth/Kryptonian race. But, I still think a god should trump an alien, and WW was born to kill gods.

So I for one, don't have so much a problem with Wonder Woman's power level in the film. I am just curious how they will present Wonder Woman compared to Superman, and why She is not the strongest and not the leader of the Justice League, assuming Superman eventually becomes the de facto leader, as he traditionally has been in the comics.

Side Note: Here is a geeky comparison of character personalities and also how those personalities nicely tie into how they employ their powers; Batman is Spock (logical, tactical and cold to the point of severity), Superman is Kirk (rational but implusive, naturally the unifier with a rigid moral code and sense of duty) and Wonder Woman is McCoy (intellectual, unbelievably compassionate... never forgets how, and a refusal to stand by as, actions trickle down to little people).

I can see where you are coming from there, and I suppose it is a fair assessment, but it seems to me based on at least when I used to read the comics like 20 some odd years ago, and the Timmverse, Wonder Woman is usually depicted as more impulsive than Superman at times (EG, though not mainstream comics, Kingdom Come shows Wonder Woman as impulsive, and less compassionate than Superman, to the point of being almost a war monger).

If I was to compare Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman to archetypes, I'd compare them to the Olympian gods:

Superman is most like Zeus as most powerful and de facto leader, with some elements of Helios and/or Apollo who were associated with the sun.

Wonder Woman is most like Athena ( and ironically not so much like Artemis/Diana, her namesake). Athena was the goddess of wisdom, the most beautiful after Aphrodite, and goddess of combat.

Batman would be most like Ares and Hades: kind of an outcast at times like Hades. Obviously a master of combat and the most violent. Also, some elements of Apollo (knowledge, intellect).

As for the others that will be depicted in the upcoming JU film:

Flash is obviously like Hermes

Aquaman is obviously like Posidon

Cyborg is probably most like Hephaestus

Guest Robin

For the record: I was intending to display how the characters are in this DC Extended Film Universe. :-) I agree that Superman and Wonder Woman would likely be reversed otherwise.

I know the Man of Steel film sort of addresses that by basically establishing that he is genetically engineered and not just an ordinary Kryptonian, but like Diana, specially bread to be the best of the best, and in his case, will in the future potentially be the father of a new Earth/Kryptonian race. But, I still think a god should trump an alien, and WW was born to kill gods.

Minor nit-pic, but didn't the Man of Steel film establish Superman as the only Kryptonian who wasn't genetically engineered, the first natural birth in thousands of years or something like that? I haven't seen the movie in a long time, so I might have it backwards, but that's what I was remembering.

Guest Robin

I believe you are correct. I recall that Kal-El was a natural birth, but the genetic tampering angle comes in when Jor-El decided to code Kal's DNA with the genetic history of the Kryptonian Race aka the Codex. With the Codex being all their genetically perfect ideas/formula for why this guy is a scientist and this lady is a doctor and this guy a soldier etc.

• 1 month later...

I was thinking and the whole idea of the Codex is pretty ridiculous when you consider the idea would suggest there is a genetic sequence to produce the perfect Hot Dog Vendor.

I must say that this was a fantastic movie. I can watch this over and over again. Gal Gadot was tremendous. Inspiring. When I watch her in this, I am not saying, 'Wow is she hot' (Although she is), I am saying, 'Wow, she is good, inspirational and can kick ass'. She is the perfect Wonder Woman. I loved the plot, as well. Very, very well done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

So I know it is never explained in the films, and I don't know if it's explained in the comics, but with the DCU's understanding of meta-humans being semi-scientific without any trappings of mysticism, are the Greek gods understood to be something other than deities? Extraterrestrials, perhaps? Hyper-evolved beings? Actual gods don't really fit with the meta-human narrative.

Most DC heroes are "made" or "chosen" somehow. Diana is sort of an outlier. I have know idea what the current continuity origin for her is. DC has a habit of rebooting their universe 2-3 times a year.

Most DC heroes are "made" or "chosen" somehow. Diana is sort of an outlier. I have know idea what the current continuity origin for her is. DC has a habit of rebooting their universe 2-3 times a year.

She literally was made by Zeus, no? Sort of a through back to Greco-Roman mythos.

Or did that change with the New52 which I know literally nothing about when it comes to Wonder Woman?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.