Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Driver

I'm sure it will. This time it'll be a WOMAN! In the 90s!

I'm still a little bitter about Edgar Wright getting fired from Ant-Man.

We'll see but I've heard that Captain Marvel is going to change the rules about what a Marvel origin story is and how formulaic they've been. That would be exciting.

It would be exciting.

I'm not holding my breath.

... which, of course, doesn't mean that I'm not going to buy my Captain Marvel tickets in advance, for the very first showing. It's what we DO.

I'm still a little bitter about Edgar Wright getting fired from Ant-Man.

Yeah, that's the biggest "What if?" in the MCU.

It'd be funny if they enticed Wright into directing Guardians 3.

Maybe they are successful enough to really try something different. Ant-Man was still heavily influenced by him, but he's just so great to telling a story through just visuals.

No, what I mean is, we're not gonna get the cookie cutter origin story. The Big Bad is a reflection of the hero and their powers, you don't really see them powered up and kicking ass until the last 10 minutes, etc. That shit has gotten old.

I get it, but I don't believe it. I hope it's true, but why should movie 21 suddenly break the streak?

No kidding.

Most of their origin films are just remakes and/or rearranging very similar elements. Dr. Strange was the first Iron Man in magician clothes; Black Panther took most of its key plot points from the first Thor, and so on. Ironically, Captain America: The First Avenger is the most original MCU debut film, but it is by no means the favorite of many a MCU fan. Perhaps that kind of fan enjoys assembly line "creativity" in their superhero films?

I said that WOULD be exciting.

In other words, if it's true, that would be exciting. You've already jumped straight into not believing it'll happen. Which, you know, I get, for the reasons some of you mentioned.

But IF it happens this time, that WOULD be exciting.

Personally I believe them. They're not idiots. They know the old formula is stale. And we know the Big Bad she'll be facing are very different for an origin story and will probably a multi movie threat. That's already drastically different.

But, like I said, we'll see.

I agree wholeheartedly that it would be exciting. But at this point, I'm done getting excited or even considering the possibility of a Marvel origin story being exciting. Iron Man was exciting because it was something new and awesome. Captain America was the same. Everything else has been a remake of Iron Man. So I'm too much of a cynic. For me, it's like saying "Wouldn't it be exciting if Donald Trump woke up tomorrow and was a decent human being?" Sure it would be exciting, but there's more chance of finding out that Star Wars is a documentary.

The big problem that a Captain Marvel will face is that she is no Wonder Woman. WW is a bit of an icon, whereas CM is barely known by casual audiences. I imagine that Disney is a little nervous about this, in spite of their overwhelming success with B (sometimes D) list characters.

I know people hate to bring up race and gender in any conversation, but basing an entire movie around a hot blonde has the potenential to isolate audiences. Hell even the comics turned their back on her when they gave Rogue her powers just to make the X Men more interesting.

I think it will work, actually. As tired as the Marvel formula has become, it clearly works. The old comic book nerd in me is hoping they don’t Solo this thing.

The big problem that a Captain Marvel will face is that she is no Wonder Woman. WW is a bit of an icon, whereas CM is barely known by casual audiences. I imagine that Disney is a little nervous about this, in spite of their overwhelming success with B (sometimes D) list characters.

I know people hate to bring up race and gender in any conversation, but basing an entire movie around a hot blonde has the potenential to isolate audiences. Hell even the comics turned their back on her when they gave Rogue her powers just to make the X Men more interesting.

I think it will work, actually. As tired as the Marvel formula has become, it clearly works. The old comic book nerd in me is hoping they don’t Solo this thing.

Iron Man, Dr. Strange, The GOTG, hell-- even Thor and most certainly Ant Man were hardly household names.

DC hads the icons. Marvel has had Spider-Man and Hulk as their a-listers for pretty much ever. Captain America was known, but hardly a bankable franchise. Maybe Wolverine and the X-Men had quality cache in the 90s. But starting with Iron Man was a risk. He was no Batman or Superman or even close.

Marvel has repeatedly proven they can make movies with not-well-known characters be a box office smash. FFS they had a raccoon with a machine gun in theaters raking in cash before DC had the balls to even put out a Wonder Woman movie.

Ant Man was the one that got me. As a kid I thought he was the worst. When I heard about the movie I was baffled, but it wound up being quite good.

I just hope that Cap Mav doesnt wind up being SJW bullshit. My fine line is the back story. Mad Max Fury Road worked well (very well), as did the Kill Bill flicks, but Im no fan of Mary Sewage.

Guest El Chalupacabra

On topic, I don't really need to read the tweets. I'm sure they're awful and not funny, but Gunn seems to have really hit his stride with GotG, and has obviously grown. The modern view that if someone ever said anything remotely offensive they need to be lynched is scary, to put it mildly.

I feel like we should delete everything from Nightly on a rolling three month basis.

Agreed. It would be one thing if he actually did it, but to destroy someone's entire livelihood over stupid words that were said a long time ago?

You lost me at SJW. Throw in a Mary Sue and an "agenda" or two to round it out.

Sorry. You don’t want to be labeled an SJW the same way I don’t want to be labeled a racist for liking Trump. I’ll stop using the term. My fault.

I honestly don’t think Hollywood has an agenda. They’re in the business to make money, just like any other business. They lean to the left (a lot), but ultimately they only care about dollars and cents, as any business should.

Back to the topic, I do see Ms Marvel as a risk, but their brand has been so successful I think it will work out just fine.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it bombs, though.

If you would have told me when I was 13 that there would be an Avengers movie, and it would be a hit on the level of Star Wars, and a Justice League movie was nowhere in sight... I'd have thought you were insane.

Right there with you on that one. I vividly remember being shocked when I saw the trailer for the first X Men movie. I simply didn't believe it was going to happen until I saw paid actors playing Wolverine, Storm, and so on.

I also remember thinking, who the fuck is Hugh Jackman?

Since we’re in the Guardians 2 thread, I’ll share this. Buddy of mine saw TLJ and Guardians 2 back to back on a plane. Like everyone I know TLJ was a disappointment to him and Guardians 2 was great.

If you had told me, when I was a kid, that someday I would rather watch a Guardians of the Galaxy movie over a Star Wars movie I would’ve quietly gone to the back bedroom, grabbed my landline, and then called the proper authorities to send you to the funny farm.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.