Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Driver

Reading up on it, it seems that Gunn got hit because he joined a Twitter mob himself against Mark Duplass (whose crime is literally trying to bridge the partisan divide) who said nice things about Ben Shapiro and then took them back. So Disney heard an earful front the rightwing Twitter mob that jumped up after the leftwing Twitter mob took its scalp.

Disney knew about this years ago, they're just doing what all corporations do these days and buckling instantly when things get a bit hot. Some of it is warranted. Some of it is a person being a jerk a decade ago and there seriously needs to be a statute of limitations on how long you have to answer for something stupid you said.

I totally agree. I keep flipping back and forth.

If somebody took every off-color post I made in the Lando System between 1999 and 2005 and presented them en masse, I'd look like a psychopath.

Reading up on it, it seems that Gunn got hit because he joined a Twitter mob himself against Mark Duplass (whose crime is literally trying to bridge the partisan divide) who said nice things about Ben Shapiro and then took them back. So Disney heard an earful front the rightwing Twitter mob that jumped up after the leftwing Twitter mob took its scalp.

Disney knew about this years ago, they're just doing what all corporations do these days and buckling instantly when things get a bit hot. Some of it is warranted. Some of it is a person being a jerk a decade ago and there seriously needs to be a statute of limitations on how long you have to answer for something stupid you said.

I totally agree. I keep flipping back and forth.

If somebody took every off-color post I made in the Lando System between 1999 and 2005 and presented them en masse, I'd look like a psychopath.

Look like one? You've sported that straight jacket for years. :p

Oh well...Gunn asked for this. There's nothing edgy or excusable about pedo "jokes" now, or any point in time. Of course, society has decayed to the point where this was excused for so long...until its politically expedient to make a point that seemed to slip by this entertainment culture for the past century. Let's see if you will see the same pile of "celebrities" sign a petition to "free" Gunn the way they did for Roman Polanski in 2009.

Oh well...Gunn asked for this. There's nothing edgy or excusable about pedo "jokes" now, or any point in time. Of course, society has decayed to the point where this was excused for so long...until its politically expedient to make a point that seemed to slip by this entertainment culture for the past century. Let's see if you will see the same pile of "celebrities" sign a petition to "free" Gunn the way they did for Roman Polanski in 2009.

I'm inclined to be a lot more forgiving of an off-color joke than a man who actually drugged and raped at least one 13-year-old girl.

I think that's the point. Polanski remains above reproach while anyone who ever said anything inappropriate needs to be roasted alive.

Bryan Singer lost his Fox deal, but is still a free man.

Disney made outright racist cartoons for decades and has used the context of the past as a defense.

The guy who started the smear campaign against Gunn is an advocate for date-rape to not actually exist and still has his day job.

Regardless of where you lay politically, it's evident that Trump has had countless questionable sexual encounters with woman while Clinton was brough up for impeachment after a rumor surfaced.

This time line is insane.

I"ll say that I think losing a job makes more sense for actions taken while you have the job, and that goes across the board. I'm also okay with people not getting a job because of past stupidity. There's also a baseball player who posted some stupid (and awful) stuff on Twitter when he was a teenager, and people are going crazy. Teenagers are, by definition, stupid and awful. I'm just really glad there's no digital trail of my teenage years.

Regardless of where you lay politically, it's evident that Trump has had countless questionable sexual encounters with woman while Clinton was brough up for impeachment after a rumor surfaced.

This time line is insane.

The difference between Trump and Bill is that Trump will pay hush money., whereas Bill will only pay once hes been accused of rape.

Kinda think Trump wins that one.

Infinity War proved you could have fun with the Guardians without Gunn directing. Just have Thor in the movie and use the Thor 3 director and it'll be the best of the trilogy.

Totally agree. Taika Waititi could easily take over and youd barely notice. In fact I actually think it would be a better fit.

IW showed that the Russo brothers can handle anything.

The humor would work for GotG, but I think Thor 3 is the third worst Marvel movie. Thor 2 and Ultron rate lower. If it had been introducing Thor, it would have been fine. But the character was introduced and has been featured in 4 movies without being a sitcom character, and then he suddenly turns into a character with his own laugh track.

Infinity War proved you could have fun with the Guardians without Gunn directing. Just have Thor in the movie and use the Thor 3 director and it'll be the best of the trilogy.

It's easy enough to get the vibe for a few minutes, but for an entire movie, you'd definitely see a drift as the new director and, especially, writer go off on their own. As for Taika Waititi, I'd rather see them pay Hemsworth and make a 4th Thor movie.

The humor would work for GotG, but I think Thor 3 is the third worst Marvel movie. Thor 2 and Ultron rate lower. If it had been introducing Thor, it would have been fine. But the character was introduced and has been featured in 4 movies without being a sitcom character, and then he suddenly turns into a character with his own laugh track.

The thing is though, Thor wasn't working. The first movie was acceptable based on it merely not being a disaster and the second movie just sorta sat there.

If they'dgone out and made a third movie with a standard villain, Asgardian troubles, and Natalie Portman, no one would have wanted to see it. So, it was time to break things and go in a new direction. They had a Thor with surprisingly good comedic timing that they could work with. And they had a choice between doing something halfway or taking the series in a new direction.

I enjoyed the new direction and I really don't care about what went before since it's the most fun I've had in any of the MCU movies so far. And part of it was just how ridiculously out of left field the whole comedic, 80s throwback, album cover visual concepts thing was.

Guest Robin

I get that Thor 1 and 2 are so different to 3, but I dont think we are supposed to watch the solo movies as a trilogy. Ragnaroks Thor is an extension of the Thor that exists in the Avengers films, which is a markedly looser Thor than his solo adventures.

I'm in a minority, I know, but if I want to watch an action hero who does nothing but aim for one liners, I will just pop in Kindergarten Cop.

You obviously don't remember just how slapstick the first Thor movie was. They did the he runs into something and gets knocked out gag twice. TWICE!!!

I'm talking about the character, though. The humor was broad, but Thor himself wasn't trying to be funny every second.

The first Thor should have avoided Earth entirely and it could have been great. Everything bad about that movie happened on Earth.

Wow, that’s another one. A fine upstandimg fozzie post. I can only hope to live up to that guy.

He’s a genius. If you disagree I’ll say your mother’s BMI is a tad high.

You can mock him all you want, but he's accurately described nearly 80% of the Marvel movies. Its tiresome to see a series caught in a mid 1980s-90s movie loop of that quip-battered, one-liner overflowing crap.

Does anyone else think James Gunn looks like Harrison Wells from CW's version of The Flash?

One of his tweets was about about how bad it would be to be raped by Goofy. I’m sure Disney loved that. Yikes.

OH GOD I have a visual now someone hand me the brain bleach.

(I'm kind of surprised the guy didn't find The Lando System back in the day, tbh)

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy tf out of the two GotG films he did, but I'm not about to declare the franchise dead if another director takes it over.

And this is why I hesitated for so long to join twitter... it's a lot of fun, but people have had their lives so ruined because of it.

The series definitely isn't dead, but it also isn't quite as exciting. Marvel is going to find someone else who is capable of making a good GotG movie. Part of what makes Marvel work is that the directors are interchangeable and have to follow the Marvel way. They've taken the lessons of mass production and put them to work on movies.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.