Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Driver

All stones are now accounted for.

1. Cosmic Cube = Tesseract = was the containment unit for Space Stone; currently in Odin's Vault (Avengers)

2. Loki's Scepter = was the containment unit for the Mind Stone; now part of The Vision (Avengers, Avengers 2)

3. The Aether = liquid suspension container of Reality Stone; now hidden with The Collector (Thor 2)

4. The Orb = was the containment unit for the Power Stone; now guarded by The Nova Corp (GOTG)

5. The Eye of Agamotto = is the containment device for the Time Stone; held by Dr. Strange

There was a Gauntlet also in Odin's Vault, but Thanos also apparently has one.

You're forgetting the soul stone, which hasn't appeared yet.

I guess there's not much time for it to appear in a character's soul-o movie at this point.

I think one is right-handed and one is left-handed. But why when there are only six stones, enough for only one gauntlet...

I think one is right-handed and one is left-handed. But why when there are only six stones, enough for only one gauntlet...

Not everyone is only right or left-handed, you...you darned....handist!

Honestly I was pretty bored with this. Part of my brain recognized that "entertaining" things were happening in front on me, but I just couldn't get in to it.
I guess a few things for me are: 1) the group as a whole has no basic purpose. 2) Other than Starlord, maybe, we don't learn anything about the Guardians that we didn't already know at the end of the last film. 3) There's no actual character development, just emotion for emotion's sake. 4) There are no stakes: Rocket stole some batteries... people want to kill them... Starlord finds his daddy... an inconsequential galactic destruction sequence is initiated... great.

Exactly. Well said.

I thought I was past getting my hopes up for a big blockbuster movie after the Matrix sequels destroyed what was still left (at that point) of my optimism, but I was rejuvenated by Guardians 1 and felt myself really believing in James Gunn. But I agree with everything you said and it seriously disappointed me.

Guest Robin

I watched GotG2 on Sunday. I laughed out loud in a few places, I enjoyed seeing Kurt as Papa Star-Lord (especially since right after the first film released my oldest son said to me that the only person that can be Star-Lord's dad is Jack Burton). However the film is like a hollow chocolate Easter Bunny. That said, I could watch a series of Pop-Up Video music vids where every bubble just says "I am Groot." and Toddler Groot is on screen dancing along.

• 1 month later...

Better than any Marvel sequels other than the Captain America movies, but it was hollow. A lot of funny moments, but they felt more forced than in the first.

I liked Kurt Russell in his role, but he just didn't touch Ronan as a villain. He felt much more foreboding and personal.

I also would've preferred having Ego thwarted but survive, and Starlord having to deal with having awesome powers but only through his connection with a villainous superpower that killed his mom. Instead it was more "Hey, your support powerful and immortal. Better find a way to just be normal and mortal within the next hour!"

• 11 months later...

Okay, I just saw highlights from Gunn's tweets. While I do think people are overly sensitive, and people certainly can mature, he really REALLY liked rape jokes, which even at my worst of attention seeking glory was only something I ever joked to Krawlie about.

Hey Jacob, remember the nightly "surprise sex" game?

Guest Robin

If Gunns satire and shock defense is honest, he still looks very foolish for going so far to the edge, and actually that might be too gentle a description... beyond the edge.

This type of stuff makes me want to THT edit everything Ive ever posted with disclaimers and caveats. Honestly, even though I despise Trump and I despise the erasing of history or interactions, I get his impulse to delete old tweets etc. And I have, always, throughout the years streamlined my Twitter so it reads sorta like a comedy act. Not really the same thing as what he does, but still, I had to think about it. Anyway...

I cannot imagine the anxiety that could exist for a published, working creative like yourself, Tank.

On topic, I don't really need to read the tweets. I'm sure they're awful and not funny, but Gunn seems to have really hit his stride with GotG, and has obviously grown. The modern view that if someone ever said anything remotely offensive they need to be lynched is scary, to put it mildly.

I feel like we should delete everything from Nightly on a rolling three month basis.

I thought this was BS to the nth degree-- then I went and read the tweets in question. They are super immature, but they are also insensitive to the point that even if he was young and coming off making Troma films, he would have known better. I don;'t think anyone thinks I'm remotely conservative when it comes to blue humor, but there was a tone to his tweets that is problematic.

I don't think he should have been fired, but with social media being what it is, and being hired by Disney, I can't say I'm shocked it went down like this.

Reading up on it, it seems that Gunn got hit because he joined a Twitter mob himself against Mark Duplass (whose crime is literally trying to bridge the partisan divide) who said nice things about Ben Shapiro and then took them back. So Disney heard an earful from the rightwing Twitter mob that jumped up after the leftwing Twitter mob took its scalp.

Disney knew about this years ago, they're just doing what all corporations do these days and buckling instantly when things get a bit hot. Some of it is warranted. Some of it is a person being a jerk a decade ago and there seriously needs to be a statute of limitations on how long you have to answer for something stupid you said.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.