Getting back in shape sucks

Guest El Chalupacabra

I could never go vegan because I love eggs too much. Seriously, I need them to function. But on the other end of the spectrum, I wonder if people who do keto/Atkins are constipated a lot since they pretty much hate all sources of fiber. Sports nutrition people make me crazy. You pretty much have to live on protein powder and air plankton.

Interesting. I've not been on one myself, but I thought (or maybe just assumed?) protein diets like Atkins basically just cut out carbs (like no rice, potatoes, pasta, bread), and added more protein, and encouraged leafy greens and low cal fiber. Then again, what I know of Atkins is limited to the frozen dinner aisle that I sometimes grab for lunches at work (but not regularly)! LOL!

The one time I followed a protein diet similar to Atkins (which lasted three days because it drove me to panic attacks for some reason) you could have up to 24-30 g of carbs a day but you were restricted to the types of carbs. Basically it needed to be fibery kind of carbs. But yes...I did get constipated as a result.

That being said what I have found works for me is a 40/40/20 diet and I only focus on the grams. I know I want to stay around 1800 calories per day and one gram of carbs or protein is 4 calories and one gram of fat is 9 calories. So I take that total of calories split them out and then divide by 4 or 9 to get the number of grams of each I can have per day. And then on carbs I just watch the types of carbs.

Paleo was my first real move to a better diet. I think it worked because it introduced me to a habit removing a lot of junk from my pantry. Pegan was an easy transition, and I really enjoy vegan substitutes, especially avoiding industrialized processes. (There's some great vegan recipe books for the Instant Pot, too.) I only eat a meat or cheese (the ony dairy now - coming from a two gallon-a-week routine on the mainland) menu item outside of the home.

Weight training and diet is the key. Forget cardio, because it will kill your knees, hips, and ankles.

You don't have to give too much up food wise, just give up something. If it goes well you can give up something else and son on.

As for the weights, you don't have to to do too much. Just find the right weight for you and take it slow.

I promise, to all of you, that the pounds will come off and you'll feel better in general.

Maybe so. I've just known so many people who have had physical issues with it.

One friend of mine needed a hip replacement. She was always in shape, but she's she's got so much muscle on her that she hated the scale, even though she was rock hard. I still can't wrap my mind around it but she was 170 lbs on a short (5/4) frame. She's a little fatter now than her fitness model days, but not much.

Anyway I think her constant cardio and her desire to be a thin chick took Ia toll on her hip and I just think she over did it. I still see her in the gym, but she's kind of ruined hersel.

The great thing about weight training is that you can control it. I'm no personal trainer but I've been working out for 30 years now and I can tell you it works. You'll have a lot of bad days, but once you find what works for you you stick with it.

Then there's the food thing. Lay off it. You don't have to give it up forever. You just can't indulge every day. I know a lot of folks that work out like I do and think they can eat whatever they want. Doesn't work that way.

Oh I agree-- my knees are crap and I HATE running unless it's on an eliptical to eliminate impact.

I just mean if your goal is to be able to do 5 miles hikes through rough terrain, or run long distances, or wrestle a twenty minute match without being out of breath-- you need good cardio health. You get good cardio by doing cardio. It's a good thing to have, but yeah, it's not going to lose you weight.

Cardio is essential to being fit. Weight training might make you look good, but if you're after all round fitness cardio is unavoidable. I see bulky weight training gym dudes all the time barely able to run. Their health is purely aesthetic, surface deep. Come the zombie-pocolypse it don't matter how much you can bench press if you can't run all day without collapsing.

In seriousness though, if all you do is weight training for years on end and bulk up, by the time your 50 or 60 your heart is going to be under incredible strain trying to sustain the mass you've built up over the years. The heart is a muscle (like.. the most important one) that needs exercise and looking after too. It can't be all about your pecs and biceps.

If you want great cardio without any of the joint problems go swimming. It's twice as hard as running without any impact on the joints. And it's a form of resistance training so will build muscle too.

It's not all weight/strength training and it's not all cardio that's going to do it for you. It's a combo of both.

And also watching what you eat. It never ceases to amaze me when people complain they're not losing weight or getting in better shape because they work out. Meanwhile, as they say it they are scarfing down a giant fast food burger with fries.

Agreed, I like a balance. I prefer cardio, but I've seen how combining it with weight training can improve your cardio performance. I can run a sub 8-minute mile now, wouldn't be possible without all the weight training I've done. It's also helped my skiing, too. A lot less fatigue, although for next winter I need to work on those explosive movements. I don't think cardio will necessarily ruin you as long as you are realistic. I'll never run a marathon, probably not even a half. No thanks. But I will rock a 5k or a 10k.

Diet sucks. You can't outrun a bad diet, I would happily if I could. My problem has always been portion control, because I was raised in an obese family. Now they think I eat like a rabbit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.