Trump fires Comey

RUAJedi2

McMaster is a smart dude stuck in a bad situation. Last night he didn't say that Trump didn't share sensitive information. He only said that Trump didn't disclose intelligence sources and methods. The WaPo article did not list what sensitive information was shared (because they say they were asked not to), but they did say that the information put sources and methods at risk. McMaster said that premise was incorrect.

"Information that puts sources and methods at risk" does not equal sources and methods themselves.

At his presser today, McMaster harped more on the sources and methods angle by saying Trump didn't even know where the info came from (by the way - does that make sharing it willy nilly more appropriate or less approrpriate?). McMaster also ran with the message from Trump's morning tweets - essentially, that the President is allowed legally to share whatever information he wants, and therefore what he did was "appropriate."

Nevermind the multiple accounts that White House staff freaked out about the disclosure and contacted the intelligence community to take damage control steps.

And really-how old are you?

I'd bother to respond to you, I even deleted some responses I'd started, but for as much as you're questioning my age, you obviously need to grow up yourself.

jesus CHRIST, it's a simple, straight-forward question, not an admonishment! I am 58, will be 59 this year. HOW OLD ARE YOU? And what's the problem with answering this?

Part of the reason I'm asking is to know if you are old enough to have lived through Nixon and the Watergate scandal.

That it is believable is what the Washington Post is counting on don't you think? I didn't hear the story until I got home from work last night. I just read the story online and refused to turn to any news channels. I already had a headache. I believe McMaster when he says it didn't happen. When I see the people he was in the room with I have hard time believing no one would have shut him down if he was being loose liped. Validity of the story not withstanding, who the hell is leaking this stuff?

McMaster isn't saying it didn't happen-today's he's simply saying Trump had the authority to do what he did and further, what he did didn't compromise security. I'm willing to accept these things, but this surely solidifies the fear that Trump is the loosest cannon ever.

Trump wants to be himself​ and there is nothing wrong with that. The problem is that he doesn't really let his staff know first. That causes problems because they're forced to scramble to figure out how to defend what he does. This Comey thing has gotten out of hand not because the firing was egregious, but because it was another way for Trump opponents to attack. Of course he didn't help matters this morning by basically threatening Comey in a tweet. I have no idea what the **** he was thinking when he sent that tweet.

I disagree. I don't think its good for the leader of the Free World to just 'be himself'. The office requires diplomacy, tact and consideration-all things Trump's self are foreign to.

fuck, even Mitch McConnell is asking for less drama from the White House! The "Comey thing" is being highlighted, in part, because Trump PRAISED the man just weeks before for doing what he got fired for! It's short-sighted to dismiss it as simply something for Trump opponents to attack. And yeah, threatening Comey? That should be ****ing illegal if it's not already. HE DOESN'T THINK. EVER. He is not capable! THIS has been the heart of the problem all along!

And can we just talk for a minute about "LOCK! HER! UP!" Why should we NOT lock HIS ass up for doing the same thing he wants Clinton locked up for-only he ADMITS he did it and doubles down.

I am apoplectic over the mountain of crap this bullshit artist is getting away with.

McMaster did say yesterday it didn't happen. I watched the McMaster presser this morning. He was being a little more detailed in what he meant. If you want to read between the lines, which three other shows I flipped between were, then you could read anything into it I guess. He did basically say that with him, Tillerson, and Powell there, such information wouldn't have been leaked. He did say a few times that these leaks are a huge problem. Which they are, but no one cares because because it's benefiting detractors.

McMaster did say yesterday it didn't happen. .... If you want to read between the lines ... then you could read anything into it I guess.

No, he really didn't. Here is the meat of the problematic intel that WaPo said Trump disclosed (emphasis mine):

Trump went on to discuss aspects of the threat that the United States learned only through the espionage capabilities of a key partner. He did not reveal the specific intelligence-gathering method, but he described how the Islamic State was pursuing elements of a specific plot and how much harm such an attack could cause under varying circumstances. Most alarmingly, officials said, Trump revealed the city in the Islamic State’s territory where the U.S. intelligence partner detected the threat. The Post is withholding most plot details, including the name of the city, at the urging of officials who warned that revealing them would jeopardize important intelligence capabilities.

Source: Washington Post

Clearly, WaPo is saying that the problem is that Trump shared too much detailed information related to a specific plot. The WaPo article went on to discuss how this could allow the Russians to identify the source: ie, having specific plot details could allow Russia to deduce sources and methods. Last night McMaster confirmed that Trump/Lavrov discussed plots (which, broadly, isn't a problem, but per the above reporting, is the whole problem in this instance). He only clarified that there was no discussion of sources or methods (emphasis mine):

Good evening everybody. I just have a brief statement for the record. There's nothing that the President takes more seriously than the security of the American people. The story that came out tonight as reported is false. The President and the foreign minister reviewed a range of common threats to our two countries, including threats to civil aviation. At no time, at no time, were intelligence sources or methods discussed, and the President did not disclose any military operations that were not already publicly known. Two other senior officials who were present, including the Secretary of State, remember the meeting the same way and have said so. Their on the record account should outweigh those of anonymous sources. And I was in the room - it didn't happen. Thanks everybody.

I really don't think you have to read between the lines. It says what it says.

I haven't read a full transcript for today, but the parts that I saw live didn't make me feel any better.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4508898/Did-Trump-leak-classified-info-Russians.html

'I was in the room it didnt happen,' he said, before abruptly ending his statement without taking questions.

So yes he really did.

Like I said, watched three different shows afterwards trying to interpret what McMaster said. Each was slightly different from the other. I took the briefing at face value. As you say you did, but you did but didn't really watch all of it right?

I'm just saying that people are reading into it what they want. You say it's cut and dry, but I haven't heard one definitive take on it.

Okay, things are starting to get real. The Russia collusion story is something I still believe to be bogus. Trump blabbing classified information is a serious accusation, but the president does have the ability to unilaterally declassify pretty much anything so it's not a criminal matter even if it potentially shows gross incompetence.

However, this latest revelation about about a memo stating that Trump asked Comey to drop the investigation into Flynn, then Comey is fired weeks later under false pretenses. This really is getting on very dangerous ground for Trump. Were Congress in the mood, they could bring him up on charges already. If another couple of shoes drop, Trump could be on impeached by a Republican Congress even if he only showed terrible judgement and didn't intend to commit obstruction of justice.

The cover up will always get you.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4508898/Did-Trump-leak-classified-info-Russians.html

'I was in the room it didnt happen,' he said, before abruptly ending his statement without taking questions.

So yes he really did.

Like I said, watched three different shows afterwards trying to interpret what McMaster said. Each was slightly different from the other. I took the briefing at face value. As you say you did, but you did but didn't really watch all of it right?

I'm just saying that people are reading into it what they want. You say it's cut and dry, but I haven't heard one definitive take on it.

No I haven't watched the full briefing from today and was just focusing on his statement from last night. Which the New York Times is now reporting was drafted by the White House counsel's office. Which, to me, reinforces my point: it was a carefully worded statement meant to address the "sources and methods" concern, but did not address the fact that he still blabbed highly confidential information.

The only thing McMaster said "didn't happen" was the sharing of sources.

Okay, things are starting to get real. The Russia collusion story is something I still believe to be bogus. Trump blabbing classified information is a serious accusation, but the president does have the ability to unilaterally declassify pretty much anything so it's not a criminal matter even if it potentially shows gross incompetence.

However, this latest revelation about about a memo stating that Trump asked Comey to drop the investigation into Flynn, then Comey is fired weeks later under false pretenses. This really is getting on very dangerous ground for Trump. Were Congress in the mood, they could bring him up on charges already. If another couple of shoes drop, Trump could be on impeached by a Republican Congress even if he only showed terrible judgement and didn't intend to commit obstruction of justice.

The cover up will always get you.

I guess there is precedent with Comey's notes being used as evidence against someone, but there has to be more than what we've been told so far. I wish you'd just let this go, Flynn is a good guy is hardly asking Comey to drop the case. If we're getting into intent though I guess Comey is the expert at determining it lol.

The Russia story may be bogus - but it's probably going to be difficult to ever know for sure, because even if there was no collusion, (i) the Trump administration is mind-bogglingly incompetent with its message on the Russia issue, and (ii) Russia's intelligence services are probably flaming the fire, because anything that grinds our government to a halt serves their interests.

No question that Russia interfered in the election. No question that Russia is right now, at a minimum, conducting massive trolling in order to further destabilize our government.

I just hope that payback is a bitch once our counter-intelligence apparatus turns its attention back towards Russia.

Everything that is happening right now is gravy to Russia. Or Putin in this case as right now Russia's kinda going through a crisis of its own domestic making.

Weak ineffectual president - check

Poorly run handling of news and information as it is disseminated to the masses for understanding of what is actually happening - check

Greedy easy to buy stooges in the Trump administration - check

There doesn't have to be collusion. It is bumbling its way to its eventual meh ending.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.