Is Alien Covenant gonna be ****?

Odine

I'm pretty underwhelmed with the trailer. Story just looks like the generic "people go to planet, one of them gets facehugged and births an alien, everyone else tries to escape" plot. Maybe we'll at least find out what happened to Noomis' character?

Guest El Chalupacabra

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually liked Prometheus. So, I am looking forward to continuing that story.

After Prometheus anything is an improvement.

You say that as if Alien Resurrection and AvP don't already exist.

Even with all of Prometheus's logical flaws, I actually thought it was pretty decent. I didn't "get it" the first time watching, but it definitely grew on me.

Part of the reason Prometheus deceeded expectations was the lack of an alien, and that's not what fans were expecting, so your right about that...but in it's defense it's titled "Prometheus" not "Alien: rebirth" or something like that. That's Ridley Scott firing a warning shot saying "Hey! Don't expect lots of a xenomorph in this". I seem to also remember him saying "it was a prequel that takes place in this cinematic universe, but isn't exactly an 'Alien' movie" or something to that effect. I kind of liked the fact it was a fairly original film for...what is it...sixth in the franchise?

I consider Prometheus the third best Alien movie, and then a huge drop off in quality, Alien 3, then another drop in quality with the other movies which I consider dumb.

All that being said, from what I've seen of this one, it's probably going to be less like Prometheus and more like all the other movies in the series, make way more money than Prometheus and be boring to me.

My problem with Prometheus was they didn't go far enough with the Ancient Astronaut Theory stuff that they were alluding to. There was an opportunity to tell a super interesting and subversive story there but they kind of just let that whole thread fizzle into nothing. Visually I loved Prometheus, though.

I saw this today with a mate and have to say we both enjoyed it. Good action, interesting development in the overal Alien storyline as well.

Few frustrating bits where you want to shout at the screen, but then we have seen a few of these films, and we all know what to expect!

Really enjoyed watching this. Hope you all do too.

I didn't want / expect Prometheus to be really about the Alien; I just wanted something with less stupid and more likeable / compelling characters.

Covenant is going to disappoint some people, but I can understand why

these prequels will be mostly about David now (if that wasn't the intention from the start)

I really enjoyed it, thought it was really good. But as has been said, there was a few bits that frustrated. I saw the big twist straight away. So did my missus. Some nice references, some clever bits, and some shocks. Overall, would recommend.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I just came back from Alien Covenant, and I was very pleased! A great follow up to Prometheus' story line, and for Alien fans who were expecting Aliens in Prometheus, this is the film you were probably expecting. This film does seem like the Michael Fassbender Show at times, given his dual roles, but not that it is a bad thing. The guy is freaky talented. Oh, and can you say Lore VS Data? Ironic, considering I read once that Data was partly influenced by Bishop. But Lore has NOTHING on David! I can't wait for the sequel.

I was a bit disappointed.

I was so psyched to continue David's story and I guess they did that and not half bad. I was sad they dumped Shaw because she had the ability to take this franchise forward as the main lead. My main problem is the casting. Compared to Prometheus, it's littered with nobodies and as much as Scott gets a performance out of his actors the crew of The Covenant seem like passengers on the Michael Fassbender Show.

As much as I loved David in Prometheus (which is a deeply flawed film). In this one he feels like a different character. I don't know if it was deliberate to make him seem more human. But he felt it. Maybe to show he has flawed over time and is making human mistakes? I dont know. But Fassbender's performance in Prometheus is vastly superior to this. He loses the rigidity and uprightness that really struck him out as a construct. So much so that in the final sequence you see him walking with an open stance and without a care in the world. Again, is this deliberate to show he's evolved beyond his programming to ultimate don't give a fuckness??

Oh and why lose the blonde hair?? Why didn't he have it at the start?? I'm assuming it had something to do with the hair dye in Prometheus. If I'm interpreting that scene correctly. Was he dying his roots??

Prometheus had performances from Rapace, Elba, Theron and Fassbender despite some of the worst writing/editing I've seen. This just doesn't have the star power and story beyond Fassbender to make it a great movie. It's a great shame but I have to say that the franchise needs a full restart. They chickened out on Prometheus but laid some good lines. This one should have built on it. In a way they did with David's story. But I can't find a character I will like again or a hero to cherish and wasn't that what we needed from Ellen Ripley??

Guest El Chalupacabra

That is a fair analysis. If there was one thing I would have liked to see different, is to see more of Shaw. Even if it was in flashback.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.