Netflix's Marvel Defenders

Ms. Spam

I was just going to make a snide comment that I hope this series drags out seven or eight decent hours of TV into thirteen slogging episodes... y'know so it's consistent. But then I read that it's only eight episodes!

Well I hope they still continue the trend of stretching what could be a good 45 minute show into an hour-long episode.

• 3 months later...

I thought it was... okay? The chemistry was so-so, and the story was central to Iron Fist, the worst character/actor of the whole shebang.

I'm really mind boggled at the decision to basically make the villains equal equity story partners. It worked with Kingpin or Killgrave since they had complex plans and motivations. The Hand were just WE ARE GONNA DO A THING... WE STILL NEED TO DO THIS THING... THIS THING WE ARE GOING TO DO NEEDS DOING... OUR FORMER MYSTERY AND SCARY FACTOR HAS BEEN SUPER NORMALIZED BUT HEY WE NEED TO DO THIS THING...OKAY THE THING IS DONE OOPS WE FAILED. I feel like they should have cooked up a new threat. The Hand had no connection to Luke and Jessica so they didn't have as much at stake... feel like having Claire be the central connection would have made sense.

At the end of the day it's like all the other shows. It had great moments but felt like it was a small idea drug out twice as long as it needed to be (despite only being eight episodes.)

The more I think about it-- even the good stuff, like DareDevil S2, still feels over-bloated and drawn out. I feel like pretty much all of DD, JJ, LC, IF, and Defenders could have been could have been told in just 2 seasons of one show.

I think they're all bloated as well, and I wonder if it's because they're designed to be binge watched. Shows that first appear as regular weekly shows tend to be stronger early to hook viewers for the next week (like Lost) but Netflix shows hook viewers by showing that the next episode is about to start. Most people will say OK let's see if things pick up and watch it until things eventually do.

I think the slow pacing is definitely a result of that-- they don't try as hard to hook from the get go knowing even casual viewers will give it at least 2 or 3 episodes. But the bloating issue-- that's not a result of the format, that's just not having enough story. And it's a really odd thing considering all these characters have decades worth of comics to mine from, and yet they all have the exact same problem-- they all take a long time to make certain points, they all feel done at their mid-season but shift direction and keep going, and they all have more villains than they need.

So uh, I just realized Iron Fist is in my movie. Hahahah, totally tuned him out...

So you're contractually obligated to like all of his work, right?

I'm half-way through, and I'm not as interested as I have been with the other Marvel Netflix shows. I thoroughly enjoyed DD seasons 1 and 2, JJ, and LC. I didn't watch IF because I just wasn't hearing anything good about it, and I've gathered enough info about it to follow the story in The Defenders. But at this point I thought I'd be more eager to finish it. It seemed to take too long for the heroes to meet, and then they've been arguing more than anything. And not even arguing about interesting stuff, just arguing to argue. It's almost boring.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.