Was Trump Wrong About Jackson and the Civil War?

Poe Dameron

Comments:

You know, I'm starting to wonder if we should refer to the Trump Administration as the Jacksonist's. Kelly's statement was interesting. I am curious to see what the books on the Trump year(s) state about the opinions of what leadership should do while in power.

Recently I read a paper that proposed we do away with the two party system since we are seeing a narrower and narrower margin of win in elections and more people kind of gravitating towards a particular set of 8 groups of party ideas. Look how widely popular Bernie was and the 17 GOP candidates. Our system of government is unique in it is bicameral but what if that was to change and we would become more like France or England? This is going towards the example of Flat Earthers and normal science loving spherical earthers that were mentioned above. What type of compromise can you come to when it's so divided?

Discussion of doing away with the two-party system has to start with discussion of completely changing everything about the way our government is set up, which isn't going to happen. The best you can hope for is a temporary increase in a third party, like Perot. But even as popular as Perot was, all he really managed to do was make a spectacle and help Clinton get elected.

Well, mathematically speaking, the earth is round, but locally flat.

Geophysically speaking, it's an oblate spheroid, and Euclidean geometry describes the surface at sufficiently small scales, to an arbitrary degree of precision.

Fine, it is an oblate spheroid, but that just slightly changes the properties of the manifold that it is. Your second point just restates what is meant mathematically by locally flat. ;)

You did not answer any of my questions. I was not actually seeking to compare wars and alternative histories. I was asking about the nature of compromise, and whether it is really always possible.

For instance, if you say the Earth is flat, and I say the Earth is spherical, do we have to compromise? A compromise like that would be a betrayal of facts.

I think that the proper compromise would've been for the south to give up on the state's right part and for the north to ease up on taxing them. Slavery would have died out anyway. Why bother with slavery when you can just create a lower class. They still need food and shelter, so give them a wage and call them "free".

What led up to the Civil War was a bunch of chesty types on both sides that couldn't see beyond their own pride.

You did not answer any of my questions.

I'm pretty sure I answered the first question about whether the Civil War was an object lesson. I just ran out the door to work that morning before getting to the rest.

Going towards modern political drama, it falls more along the lines of religious zealotry levels of belief in your position and the evil of the other side, not giving up on what you believe. The problem is more about to being able to deal with losing. Both Obama and Trump made careers out of fermenting such divisions on both sides for their own political benefits.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Well, mathematically speaking, the earth is round, but locally flat.

Geophysically speaking, it's an oblate spheroid, and Euclidean geometry describes the surface at sufficiently small scales, to an arbitrary degree of precision.

Fine, it is an oblate spheroid, but that just slightly changes the properties of the manifold that it is. Your second point just restates what is meant mathematically by locally flat. ;)

Factually speaking, the Earth is flat and you can walk off the edge and monsters.

I'm with Fozzie on this one. In 1983, Pratchettian theorists categorically proved once and for all that the world is a flat disc, which rests on the backs of four elephants, who in turn, stand upon the back of a giant, space-faring turtle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.