A clue to Rey's parentage (everyone's favorite topic)

Filthy Jawa

His self imposed exile is only a handful of years before TFA, (cue some EU nerd to tell us how many exactly). There decades of happy living before that post ROTJ. Stuff had to have happened, we just don't know what.

But it is still simple kid-logic, black and white Star Wars we're talking about.

Less than six years. Bloodlines took place six years before TFA and Ben is still off with Luke. That's when it comes out that Leia is Vader's daughter.

I ain't scares of being called a nerd.

At some point Luke met and fell in love with a woman. However due to the Jedi teachings about non attachment and all of that he left her, unaware she was pregnant with his child. Some time later his Jedi Academy is destroyed and he goes in search of the first Temple for direction on what to do next, Upon arriving he discovers that the Jedi teachings on non attachment and all of that were complete opposite of the earliest beliefs of the Jedi which said that family was the most important thing. Thus Luke's thoughts that the Jedi have t end, their BS beliefs that ran counter to the real teachings of the earliest Jedi cost him the love of his life and the chance to raise his child.

Me too...seriously. My post was sort of tongue In cheek, but honestly I think it's better than the trajectory Luke's story seems to be going in. I find it hard to believe Luke did nothing with his life after ROTJ. No wife? No kids? I don't like that at all. Now he's supposedly all... "the Jedi must end", and all pessimistic. I'd much rather believe he had a wife, Who just so happened to be a Jedi student of his, had a child with Luke, maybe she kept it a secret from him. Perhaps she was charged with protecting the Jedi temple while Luke left for a bit and Kylo Ren killed her along with the rest of the students and torched the temple. That has more emotional resonance as far as Luke's concerned. It makes his self-imposed exile a bit more believable knowing his wife was murdered by her own nephew.

Why doe having a wife and kids have to be the pinnacle of a person's story arc?? That's boring as shit to me.

There is a book, considered to be one of Japan's finest pieces of literature called Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa that tells the story of Japan's most famous and revered samurai- Musashi. Musashi had to eschew the love of the only woman he could love, not because he was incapable of love or attatchment, but because it was a distraction (regardless of how sincere or poignant) that would prevent him from perfection in following the way of the samurai. That in order to be the best he could be, the sacrifice he had to make was that he had no time or energy to give to Otsu, the only woman he actually loved. Because he was Samurai. That was his path. I see the same for Luke and any Jedi seeking perfection, or oneness with the force. There has to be a sacrifice. And giving up love (or more specifically relationships/children/romance) is a necessary step. To have that as well as being a kick ass warrior monk with magic powers and a laser sword is having your cake and eating it too, it takes away from the magesty of being Jedi, and the dedication it requires. Not because love leads to attatchment which leads to the darkside and all that malarkey.... That was stupid justification.. Simply that in order to be a great Jedi there can be room for nothing else. It is the force and nothing else. The force is all.

Of course, if now Luke is all jaded and confused about his decisions in life and has had his faith shaken somewhat.. I can see an opening for him to find romantic attatchment. But for that to have happened after ROTJ when he had only just achieved Jedi status is not the right moment. He had only really begun his path as a Jedi then. Which in my view, would mean total dedication.

Right well said. I think that was a bad call from GL to say to his fans that Jedi could have spouses. It doesn't fit with everything we learned in the OT and PT with Luke being a celibate priest like character ready to devote his life to the force and all the controversy surrounding Anakin and Padmes relationship.

That's it! Yoda stresses the point by saying that a Jedi requires "the deepest of commitments".

Also, just because we haven't seen any evidence of Luke's life in terms we can understand I.e family and kids (snooooooooze), doesn't mean he spent his time moping around with his thumb up his ass. He probably was on a similar path to Yoda.. A quest for spiritual perfection and an intimate understanding of the force. He evidence for that won't be tangible either, and probably only alluded to with dialogue.

But Jedi Luke playing happy family???? Cringe.

Meh. The big theme of ROTJ was that attachment saves rather than destroys. And Luke was the main proponent. His father's familial attachment to Luke was what saved him. It was what overthrew the Emperor, literally.

A Jedi having a family and not immediately deciding to turn evil would be something new.

I don't think that the Jedi would have a rule against taking a spouse, but to have a spouse and family as well as being a Jedi would make you vvery average at both. Most people struggle having a career and a family and being good at either. Let alone being a freaking Jedi.

Meh. The big theme of ROTJ was that attachment saves rather than destroys. And Luke was the main proponent. His father's familial attachment to Luke was what saved him. It was what overthrew the Emperor, literally.

A Jedi having a family and not immediately deciding to turn evil would be something new.

And if anakin never had a stupid relationship with Padme and never had Luke in the first place the emperor would have had no leverage on Anakin, and he might've stuck to the path of perfection. So your point is moot.

But we wouldn't have a story and a film to talk about.

As far as Luke's character goes, it has been demonstrated over and over that he is a family-oriented individual. In ANH he initially declined Ben's offer of Jedi training to stay with his uncle. In ESB he dropped out of Dagobah Jedi college to help his friends despite both of his mentors wishes to "sacrifice them in honor of what they fight for." In ROTJ he went on a suicide mission to surrender himself in order to keep his friends safe and to save his father's soul (again, against his mentors' advice). Ben thought a fight to the death was inevitable...Luke refused to believe that even as it was happening. His motivations were never to be the greatest Jedi or the ultimate warrior like Myamoto Masashi. His motivations always centered around his friends. If that meant dropping out of Jedi training, and risking his own half-trained Jedi skin, then he would try.

This is why I found it a bit hard to swallow in TFA he never tried to save his best friend Han. He could have showed up (albeit too late to save him) because that's what I would have expected from his character. He would have felt something in the force, got off his sad grieving ass and headed to star killer base. I fully expected HIM to grab that lightsaber in the snow. But...that's not what we got, and I understand the decision not to. I still think it was out of character.

That being said, Luke having a family (as opposed to a solitary monk) makes more sense to me for his character. I'm not saying it HAS to be that way....there's a good chance it's not. Again, that doesn't seem to be the trajectory his character is headed. Kathleen Kennedy and Ryan Johnson seem to have different plans for his character. It's just I disagree with it.

And if anakin never had a stupid relationship with Padme and never had Luke in the first place the emperor would have had no leverage on Anakin, and he might've stuck to the path of perfection. So your point is moot.

But we wouldn't have a story and a film to talk about.

But we're not talking about that. We're talking about decisions that the character of Luke made in the films and potentially made after ROTJ.

That's like saying my wife wouldn't have gotten married because her parents got divorced. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

Luke saving the day by using an attatchment based on a pre-existing estranged relationship with his father has got no bearing on him becoming a parent. It's just a bad narrative idea in regards to his commitment as a Jedi. If anything it supports my point. Luke "redeeming" Vader and ending the empire is hardly evidence that him settling down and having a family is the next logical step in his narrative arc. Go back to bed mate, you're not making sense.

You're arguing that Luke should shun relationships and attachments to become a super Jedi. The films point to an incredibly different version of Luke.

You're the one not making any sense.

You're arguing that Luke should shun relationships and attachments to become a super Jedi. The films point to an incredibly different version of Luke.

You're the one not making any sense.

If you think saving your dad cause he's still got a bit of good in him and it's the right thing to do, means that attachment is a good thing and jumping into a relationship won't be detrimental to a path to being a Jedi then I don't know what to tell you man. But I wouldn't want to see your version.

I think he's saying that to this point the character arc for Luke has demonstrated that he consistently chose not to adhere to the monastic, ascetic values of the Jedi. So for him to go meditate alone to become the greatest Jedi would be a departure from the Luke that we've seen so far.

That may be what happens, but I agree with Fozzie, it's not consistent with what we know of him.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.