A clue to Rey's parentage (everyone's favorite topic)

Filthy Jawa

You're kind of taking my point where I don't want it to go. It's not about adhering to dogma. I just don't think he would 1: have the time for a relationship and kids because he's too busy being a Jedi and 2: he wouldn't be interested as it's going to distract him from his path. Focus and all that. And 3, heroes have to sacrifice something at some point. He hasn't sacrificed anything yet. He's done the humble origins thing, and he lost his father, but that is all circumstantial. He hasn't made a conscious sacrifice yet. Unless of course his daughter is Rey and he sacrificed his relationship with her to protect her... Then I guess that would work.... But still.. Family man Luke? Not into it.

So for him to go meditate alone to become the greatest Jedi would be a departure from the Luke that we've seen so far.

That may be what happens, but I agree with Fozzie, it's not consistent with what we know of him.

But that IS what happened. So like it or not it is consistent with what we know of him.

So for him to go meditate alone to become the greatest Jedi would be a departure from the Luke that we've seen so far.

That may be what happens, but I agree with Fozzie, it's not consistent with what we know of him.

But that IS what happened. So like it or not it is consistent with what we know of him.

It is? Astonishing. How did you manage to see the Luke Skywalker stand alone film and novelization before it's been written yet?

Well call it going into exhile or going alone to meditate, it's pretty much what happened

Actually, we have 0 idea what's going on. The only thing that is suggested is that he was searching for the first Jedi temple. He could have been meditating, he could have been in exile, he could have just wanted some peace and quiet to rub a few out using the Force. We have no clue what the motivation was for him, other than the fact that he was gone and there's a quote that could be completely out of context about the Jedi needing to end.

Rian Johnson has said that the very first thing he thought about when starting to write was to come up with a good reason for Luke to go into exile or hiding or whatever. A reason that wouldn't simply be him running away and hiding. Now this doesn't mean that the reason he came up with is going to work or be good, but there does seem like there will be some reason for him being on that island outside of him running away when things went wrong.

Plus, there was never an attempt to explain it. The explanation was that nobody knows. But it seemed like Han had an idea, and it wasn't Luke running away and hiding.

Well of course the characters don't know so neither do we as the audience. But I would've thought the creators would. It just surprises me that the trilogy doesn't seem to be planned out as much as I figured it would. I get not having every plot point all set or changes needing to be made (such as for Fisher's passing.) But for something like this. Let's have Luke hiding on an island where no one knows where he is. Cool! Why is he there? I don't know. We'll let the next guy figure it out.

I think the idea was that he did go for a reason, to find the Temple and seek out some kind of knowledge. The exact reasoning behind what he found when he got there was left for the next guy. Gotta leave some meat on the bone for Johnson or else just have JJ and Kasdan write VIII and hire a director.

Why should this be more planned than the other trilogies?

Rian Johnson answered that question for me.

Gotta leave some meat on the bone for Johnson or else just have JJ and Kasdan write VIII and hire a director.

Yes, please, get rid if Abrams completely. He made Han a deadbeat. Johnson told Abrams to change the ending to TFA and wants to make sure Luke doesn't look like a coward. I like where his head is at.

My money's on nothings there. Sure there'll be some jedi book, but no deep knowledge that the audience can take away. How much deeper can star wars get. If they got knowledge about what's bigger than the balance between light and dark I'm sure the real world would like to know. Personally I think it's all just a set up to say Luke has been honing his skills and can now blow shit up with his mind.

Why should this be more planned than the other trilogies?

Rian Johnson answered that question for me.

Gotta leave some meat on the bone for Johnson or else just have JJ and Kasdan write VIII and hire a director.

Yes, please, get rid if Abrams completely. He made Han a deadbeat. Johnson told Abrams to change the ending to TFA and wants to make sure Luke doesn't look like a coward. I like where his head is at.

He asked him to change which droid went with Rey to find Luke, not exactly some major change from what JJ was doing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.