A clue to Rey's parentage (everyone's favorite topic)

Filthy Jawa

Maybe I'm slow again, but I just realized that there may be symbolism in the fact that Rey lives in a fallen Imperial Walker. I don't think that's meaningless. It's gotta be a clue. I mean, it's..... not a sky walker.

Or the clue is that even though left abandoned on this planet, she still makes her home in a walker because she is a Skywalker.

One or the other.

I'm making fun of myself as much as anyone, but I seriously don't think it's an accident that she lives in a fallen 'Walker.

Maybe it turns out to just be a reference to the state Luke is in and nothing to do with Rey, but I really don't think it's coincidence.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I've seen theories that say Rey is the daughter of Scarlet Hark (sort of a Mara Jade character from nu-EU book Honor Among Thieves) and Luke.

If Anakin didn't have a father, maybe Rey didn't have a mother? Or any parents at all? Maybe the Force had its way with itself this time? That would be less morally reprehensible than what the Force did to Shmi.

I'm making fun of myself as much as anyone, but I seriously don't think it's an accident that she lives in a fallen 'Walker.

Maybe it turns out to just be a reference to the state Luke is in and nothing to do with Rey, but I really don't think it's coincidence.

I think that they thought it would be cool and show that she doesn't really have anything. She's effectively homeless, living in what is effectively garbage left over from the war.

I think there was a wall of concept art of Rey hovels and JJ looked at the coolest one and said-- THAT ONE.

i just can't look at a something as on the nose and straightforward as Star Wars and find deep hidden subtext.

Here's my recapitulated thoughts for the record...

I think in earlier drafts Rey (as Kira) was 100% Luke's daughter. When Kasdan and Abrams took over, they decided they didn't beed the extra work and baggage that created and ditched the idea. But-- they used a lot of the groundwork laid for Kira and morphed her into Rey. As a result, in juts watching TFA, that DNA is there. This is why I argued so hard in favor of it in the beginning.

In TLJ they decided to get distance from it because of the problems it would create narratively so I think the implication will be that Rey's parents were Jedi that Luke was teaching and that The Knights of Ren killed.

That said, in Episode IX I fully expect for them to reveal that she IS Luke's daughter, but he didn't know it because her mother never told him after seeing what was happening to Ben.

Here's my recapitulated thoughts for the record...

I think in earlier drafts Rey (as Kira) was 100% Luke's daughter. When Kasdan and Abrams took over, they decided they didn't beed the extra work and baggage that created and ditched the idea. But-- they used a lot of the groundwork laid for Kira and morphed her into Rey. As a result, in juts watching TFA, that DNA is there. This is why I argued so hard in favor of it in the beginning.

In TLJ they decided to get distance from it because of the problems it would create narratively so I think the implication will be that Rey's parents were Jedi that Luke was teaching and that The Knights of Ren killed.

That said, in Episode IX I fully expect for them to reveal that she IS Luke's daughter, but he didn't know it because her mother never told him after seeing what was happening to Ben.

Luke was the savior of the galaxy and brought back the Jedi. He is entitled to all the ***** he could ever want. No doubt he banged all his students, so he totally could have knocked up a few of them.

Me too...seriously. My post was sort of tongue In cheek, but honestly I think it's better than the trajectory Luke's story seems to be going in. I find it hard to believe Luke did nothing with his life after ROTJ. No wife? No kids? I don't like that at all. Now he's supposedly all... "the Jedi must end", and all pessimistic. I'd much rather believe he had a wife, Who just so happened to be a Jedi student of his, had a child with Luke, maybe she kept it a secret from him. Perhaps she was charged with protecting the Jedi temple while Luke left for a bit and Kylo Ren killed her along with the rest of the students and torched the temple. That has more emotional resonance as far as Luke's concerned. It makes his self-imposed exile a bit more believable knowing his wife was murdered by her own nephew.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.