Fox News Seems to be Collapsing

Poe Dameron

Man, what a difference a few months make. Their primetime lineup was unchanged for about a dozen years, only jettisoning Alan Colmes and keeping O'Reilly, Hannity, and Van Susteren before successfully elevating Megyn Kelly up to the 9PM slot and seemingly setting her up as the network's star of the future. Their biggest losses in the last 20 years was Brit Hume retiring from the 6PM slot and Glenn Beck's epic rise and crash.

Then Trump trashes Kelly for about a year because she had the audacity to ask him a medium difficult question during the debate, Ailes is resigned, Van Susteren quits, the environment is so toxic with O'Reilly and Hannity protecting their little kingdoms that Kelly just walks away taking with her years worth of grooming and marketing, O'Reilly is resigned (no one was left to get his back), Shine has just been resigned, and Hannity looks like he's about to quit.

So, yeah. Suddenly Fox has suddenly gone from as stable a cable station as you'll find to a complete overhaul within about six months. The top talent all left, the people running the network are being replaced, with no plans in place for backup. Fox News's biggest star is Tucker Carlson, a retread if there ever was one who reached the top via pure attrition, a roundtable group that was good for late midday but is a weird choice for 9PM (though it might be serviceable for a 10PM), and whoever they can find for Hannity if he quits. Oh, and Maddow's actually pulled ahead.

Just goes to show that the old boys can hold things together for only so long. Once a crack developed, the whole thing collapsed around them. Funny thing is that it all could have been resolved years ago if some adult were in charge and was willing to put O'Reilly in his place instead of creating sexual harassment charges of his own.

Collapsing? You can call it stable, I would call their previous line up stale. If there is anything that makes recent months at Fox News tough is the circumstances in which O'Reilly and Kelly left.

Tucker Carlson is better than a retread. I'm not sure that his style is a great fit for the main show. It seems as if there has been a bit of retooling of his show the past couple of weeks. The Five is not traditional prime time format, but it can work.

Frankly it has become tiresome that past couple of months with Fox and CNN taking constant jabs at each other. It's been like kids bad mouthing each other on the playground. When O'Reilly was let go it was the headline on the CNN website. The new outlets have gone from reporting the news to being the news.

Collapsing? You can call it stable, I would call their previous line up stale.

I would as well. But there's really no arguing with success. They led the pack virtually unchallenged for 15 years. And it at least looked like they were looking towards the future with Kelly. I thought it was a real shame that she got smeared the way she did. She could have been the face of that network for the next decade and given it some class that O'Reilly and Hannity suck from it.

Tucker Carlson is better than a retread.

Meh. Does he have any interview skills other than feigned open mouth confusion as he asks his question? I've never had much use for him and wasn't surprised when he was let go by both CNN and MSNBC and just floated around Fox News for awhile.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.