What about Finn?

Filthy Jawa

The real problem is, in this day and age, the line between critic and nerd with a twitter account is non-existant. Movie criticism used to be an actual field of study that gave you educated people having debates. Pompous? Maybe-- but come on. Siskel and Ebert arguing about movies was as big of a part of my film education that anything I learned in school.

That doesn't exist anymore. Now you have fanboys with blogs. The internet is great, everyone can have an equal voice-- but that doesn't make it worth while.

Educated critics have a way of ruining a film for me by breaking it down to a Goddamn science. Plus they do make gaffs. Ebert gave Caligula a zero when it's in my top 10 favorite movies. I'm not ready to suck at the critics teet. Critics love Nolan films when I just think they're whatever. The way I see it at least a fan boy with a Blog knows what I want to see. Gets right down to the nitty-gritty. Will spend hours and hours on a simple scar issue

It depends entirely on the critic and the publication I think.. But the importance and benefits of professional crititics and the assessment of art, regardless of medium, is a conversation that could back and forth for days and days and I bet everyone would have a great take on it.

I am not advocating for a world in which a critic's opinion of a film (or game, book, album, or any other creative work) is taken as fact, but this idea now argued, or at least heavily implied, by a few -- that critics are nothing a bunch of pompous windbags whose opinion is no more informed than the average idiot posting on the internet (including yours truly) -- is absolute poppycock.

Every person (Johnny Critic and Joe Public alike) is entitled to their opinion and can, of course, openly share their opinion, but when someone claims that their own opinion (and/or that of their friends) has more weight than an aggregate score of professionals who are educated in and spend all of their time in the realm of a certain medium, well that's just silly.

This is true, but when for instance 10 friends all say one thing.. Like this film/game is great and a single critic says the polar opposite, I'm going to be skeptical of the critic, or at least consider the agenda or bias or journalistic angle that may be present.

The real problem is, in this day and age, the line between critic and nerd with a twitter account is non-existant. Movie criticism used to be an actual field of study that gave you educated people having debates. Pompous? Maybe-- but come on. Siskel and Ebert arguing about movies was as big of a part of my film education that anything I learned in school.

That doesn't exist anymore. Now you have fanboys with blogs. The internet is great, everyone can have an equal voice-- but that doesn't make it worth while.

What about the criticism that critics have their own agendas now? There were all those theories about Disney paying critics to rip the DCEU films. How much stock is there in that notion?

What about the criticism that critics have their own agendas now? There were all those theories about Disney paying critics to rip the DCEU films. How much stock is there in that notion?

Studios paying to defame and slander other studios is a bit of a stretch, but studios paying for positive reviews is 100% true. It's unethical and there's rules against it, but pay for play happens frequently all over the industry. It happens in gaming too.

I've learned, through dealing extensively with attorneys at work, that mostly they just know how to use a lot of words until they run the other side down.

Nightly, online fandom, etc went a long way for me to accept TFA for what it is. I was kind of disappointed in the movie theater. Had the same complaints as everyone else. Nothing like the feeling I got when I watch the first trailer. Or the second trailer. Third trailer was a warning. Sharing the experience with my sister who is not the type to go online and discuss Star Wars like me meant so much to me. But Finn and Rey disappointed her. Couldn't understand why they were so cheeky. She love the humor of the OT and PT but thought Finn and Rey ans Poe were just trying to pop out too many one-liners. I don't know if one liners is a real word but I understood what she meant because I felt the same. It was a JJ Abrams thing. However now I'm fully confident that we will see another side of Finn in TLJ. One not where they're always trying to make them funny like chekov in Star Trek

If I had to criticize TFA for something, lacking the humor of the OT is not it. It's one of the things I thought it got right. In fact, I think it's one of it's strongest qualities, and the biggest thing I thought lacking in the PT. A sense of adventure with light humor. What that's called again? Oh yeah...FUN. TFA succeeded in this in every way the PT did not, in my opinion.

As long as you ignore all the light humor and sense of adventure that was sprinkled liberally through the Prequels almost like it was a George Lucas production, then yeah, sure I suppose that's correct. I'm sure a movie that is afraid to have any deviation from the Originals in settings or plot and has almost no originality in design is much better for a sense of adventure.

I sometimes wonder if you even think before criticizing the Prequels.

As long as you ignore all the light humor and sense of adventure that was sprinkled liberally through the Prequels almost like it was a George Lucas production, then yeah, sure I suppose that's correct. I'm sure a movie that is afraid to have any deviation from the Originals in settings or plot and has almost no originality in design is much better for a sense of adventure.

I sometimes wonder if you even think before criticizing the Prequels.

Poe, it just wasn't funny. I was pretty clear when I said "succeded in every way the PT did not". I'm recognizing the attempts at humor and fun are there, but it failed to work for me. The reasons for this vary from movie to movie. Instead of being fun and light, it came off as silly to me. This is what is called an opinion. I've seen all the damn movies. It's not that I missed something, It just didn't work for me. You like it? Great, more movies for you to enjoy.

I think there's plenty of light humour and a sense of adventure in the Prequels too, but for whatever reason it (the stuff that worked for me anyway, a lot of it didn't) wasn't enough to overcome all of the negatives (for me) that left me feeling underwhelmed by them.

(I can't be bothered to "hate" the Prequels any more. Actually, not sure I ever did; I think I just hated some of their fans)

But saying that TFA has little deviation from the Originals in settings or plot and has almost no originality in design is an exaggeration too (but not an invalid observation or criticism if you keep it nuanced), and you could accuse the "ANH 2.0, lol! I'm so clever! Validate me!" crowd of not thinking either.

("one-liner" is a real noun)

I still got to see what 8 + 9 deliver. So far I'm going with it was JJ Abrams humor and it's not my favorite humor. But it wasn't all bad. Han Solo hit it right on the head.

When he was talking about kanji Club ans said you know you can't trust those little freaks you can hear my laughter Echo throughout the theater.

But saying that TFA has little deviation from the Originals in settings or plot and has almost no originality in design is an exaggeration too

How? I get that you want to establish a backlash to the backlash, but these are some rather significant flaws and rather obvious as well.

This is what is called an opinion.

Yeah, yeah, the word opinion is a get out of jail free card for saying something you can't back up. I get it.

Wouldn't want to actually think before releasing the latest broadside.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.