What about Finn?

Filthy Jawa

Lots of theories and speculation about Luke and Kylo and Rey, but nobody really talks about Finn. I know there are rumors or spoilers about

him having some adventure with some other Resistance chick

, but we've only seen the one shot of him in a Bacta tube.

Is he just going to be all fine? Was that slash so deep that he now has a robotic spine and he's more machine now than man? I think that would be somewhat interesting, having him deal with becoming a cyborg.

I don't think that was a bacta tank. And I don't think Finn will be cybernetic, though if he has cybernetic components, I don't expect the story will address his feelings on the matter. That sounds more like an EU novel's purpose. The films aren't too focused on the characters' inner lives.

Guest Robin

The clone trooper concept could be revisited, Finn will be given a new girl to ogle, Finn could either be implicated in a treacherous scheme or his new object of affection will. This will complicate a plan in motion and possibly cripple an already now on the defensive Resistance. Finn's view on and experience as a Trooper could cause him to believe a lie or refuse to comply to an order, perhaps continuing his struggle to find purpose and reconcile with his origins.

Huh? Finn is worthless why?

And does anyone remember Kylo and Hux saying something about clones in TFA? I was watching it a couple nights before and remember hearing something about clones that I never heard before, and thinking does this mean the first order has been toying with the idea of going back to clone troopers? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Absolutely incompetent characterization issues and borderline offensive. No way should a trained and indoctrinated from early childhood soldier be portrayed like that. Basically, he's got the same backstory of Grey Worm from Game of Thrones and he's running around as the damned bumbling comedy relief as he has a wacky misunderstanding with the female lead worthy of an 80s sitcom.

It should not happen. He was the singular most complete failure of TFA and easily the worst primary character in all of Star Wars (and possibly worse than any secondary character). Just an embarrassment to the franchise.

God I can't stand him.

Absolutely incompetent characterization issues and borderline offensive. No way should a trained and indoctrinated from early childhood soldier be portrayed like that. Basically, he's got the same backstory of Grey Worm from Game of Thrones and he's running around as the damned bumbling comedy relief as he has a wacky misunderstanding with the female lead worthy of an 80s sitcom.

It should not happen. He was the singular most complete failure of TFA and easily the worst primary character in all of Star Wars (and possibly worse than any secondary character). Just an embarrassment to the franchise.

God I can't stand him.

You like Jar Jar more than Finn?

Yeah Greywurm is so likeable. I think Finn's a charming character. None of the OT characters are exactly overflowing with complexity and depth - I think Finn (and Rey) fit in just fine. If any of the mains are lacking in the character dept. I'd say it's Poe. His character is...ace pilot. Fascinating.

I'm curious to see where they go with Finn.

God I can't stand him.

Dude, he's a stormtrooper. A mindless automaton. A disposable person. Stormtroopers bumble through everything. What were you expecting, Robert Redford level charisma? I thought he was fine, for what he was. Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he's an embarrassment to the franchise. I'd take him over Jar-Jar, Padme, and Qui-Gon Jinn and Mace Windu any day. THOSE characters are embarrassments. I will give you this though: I wonder if he is going to have enough stuff to actually do in he upcoming films, though.

Why is it that whenever some criticizes TFA someone else right away has to bring up the PT? Newsflash, pointing out that you didn't like one movie doesn't automatically make the other movie good.

Back to the topic. I hated that they wrote corny jokes around Finn's character. He was the janitor at Starkiller Base. Han repeatedly points with his chin while staring behind Finn's direction and he just keeps asking why he's doing that like some damn idiot. Leave those needless jokes out and Finn works just fine as written. What worked best for me was that even though he was trying to impress the girl, in the end nothing happened between any of the new characters. Not every adventure story needs to end with people hooking up. (Something they also kept out of Rogue One, thank God.)

It's because there are two strains of people who like the PT-- uber hardcore Star Wars fans, and people who were kids when they saw the PT for the first time. To pretty much everyone else, the PT is considered to be terrible. I'm not trying to start an age old argument, but if you ask people outside of those two groups maybe one out of ten times you'll get somebody who liked them. If you like them, great-- but to most people, they were terrible movies.

Despite the fact that TFA recycled most of its material, most people didn't care because it was tonally a throwback to classic Star Wars in a way the PT was not. Again-- just talking numbers here. So when somebody criticizes TFA, the response is that "well it's not the worst Star Wars has ever been."

I think Finn is.going to have.something to do. It isn't over between him and phasma, plus he's supposedly going to run into an old Stormtrooper friend. My only worry is that this new Asian character Rose doesn't take away from what could be a lot of character development for him.

My sister had a similar complaint about Finn. She thought there were too many one-liners and it was to dopey. But what made me cringe is when Rey said she thought Luke Skywalker was a myth. You teally didnt get a feel for the OT the way she delivered that line so Dopey

Dude, he's a stormtrooper. A mindless automaton. A disposable person.

Exactly my issue. His character doesn't resemble that origin. I didn't say I needed Robert Redford levels of charisma. My problem is that there is absolutely nothing about his character that reflects such a horrendous upbringing. The way they portray him is closer to how you'd portray a sheltered teenager rebelling against his stuffy parents than a lifetime soldier having a crisis of conscience after never showing any signs of independent thought before now.

And it's not like delving into a character fighting against everything he was indoctrinated to believe in and everything he was made to be wouldn't have been an interesting kernel of characterization. You could easily build a classic Star Wars-type character around the idea.

Nothing about the Finn we got makes sense, and the portrayal was hardly good enough to make me see past the design flaws.

I'd take him over Jar-Jar, Padme, and Qui-Gon Jinn and Mace Windu any day. THOSE characters are embarrassments.

Pfft. If Finn were in the Prequels, you'd be all over him.

Yeah Greywurm is so likeable.

Huh? Grey Worm's one of the most likable characters on that show.

If any of the mains are lacking in the character dept. I'd say it's Poe. His character is...ace pilot. Fascinating.

Poe's got like five minutes of screen time and was originally supposed to have been killed off halfway through the first act. You wanted more than a basic hook?

I rather wish that he had replaced Finn. What little we saw of his character popped and I'd like to have seen him fleshed out.

You like Jar Jar more than Finn?

Jar Jar never bothered me half as much as how they messed up Finn. Jar Jar was pretty much the side character he was meant to be. I more or less put him on the same level as Chirrut and Baze.

True I would have liked Finn more if he had more of a Mean Streak from being a stormtrooper. They could have made him suffer more and be tougher. When he says yes captain to phasma sounds like he saying it to his football coach in high school whilell there's some turmoil going on at home or something

I feel like Finn is the ST version of Indiana Jones in Raiders - nothing he does really affects the plot in any real way. BB-8 still met Rey, the FO would still have been looking for the droid, prompting Rey to escape on board the Falcon, the Falcon still would have been captured by Han and Chewie, Han would still have taken them to Takodana, Rey would still have been captured and the Resistance would still have assaulted Starkiller Base. Just about the only thing he did contribute was to use Phasma to drop the shields, but honestly? Han Solo was part of that mission. Between him and Chewie, they would have found a way, and during the fight with Kylo, all he really achieved was get sliced open. If he hadn't been there on Takodana, Maz would have given Luke's saber to Han, who would either have kept it and somehow gotten it to Rey, or would have given it to Leia, meaning it would only have gotten to Rey just before she departs to look for Luke and we'd have gotten a lightsaber vs. staff fight, which could have been very cool to see if they'd had her staff made from a lightsaber resistant material, like beskar or the old cortosis weave used in the KOTOR melee weapons.

I question what he actually achieved, and much like Poe, he's a very pointless character. Plus they should have allowed him to keep his native accent. I'd have loved to have seen Finn played like his character from Attack the Block.

Guest Robin

The idea that Indy doesn't effect the plot of Raiders is a hipster trivia lie. The climax is resolved without Indy, but that end is only reached because Indy found the location of the ark. The Nazi were going to pull out due to failure to find anything, without Indy the story ends in Cairo.

It's because there are two strains of people who like the PT-- uber hardcore Star Wars fans, and people who were kids when they saw the PT for the first time. To pretty much everyone else, the PT is considered to be terrible. I'm not trying to start an age old argument, but if you ask people outside of those two groups maybe one out of ten times you'll get somebody who liked them. If you like them, great-- but to most people, they were terrible movies.

Despite the fact that TFA recycled most of its material, most people didn't care because it was tonally a throwback to classic Star Wars in a way the PT was not. Again-- just talking numbers here. So when somebody criticizes TFA, the response is that "well it's not the worst Star Wars has ever been."

Utter claptrap!!

Normal people like the prequels. It's the uber hardcore fans who don't. Normal people don't care what nerds on the internet think and judge the movies on their own merit and tastes.

Nothing to do with how old you were. My mum watches them with the grandkids and she enjoys them. She falls into neither category and I reckon many other households are similar. All those dvds and blu-rays live somewhere you know.

I have to agree with LDH that you're a stuck record. Every time someone says something bad about TFA you start the prequel rhetoric in defence of it. TFA should stand up on its own. I personally like and enjoy it being a normal person. But the nerd in me could pick it apart if I wanted to. But that achieves nothing. People will like what they like.

Saying TFA is better than the films we know you love to hate doesn't make TFA great.

C'mon. The prequels are universally panned. People might enjoy them, but saying they are good movies are two totally different things. I like TPM and RotS but readily admit they're pretty mediocre movies.

I really couldn't stand Finn, and didn't find Poe to be much better. Nothing against Boyega/Isaacs. Kylo I liked, but think Adam Driver sucks. I thought Harrison sucked. I thought Carrie was... there.

Rey/Daisy was about the only aspect I can say I enjoyed totally.

I mostly didn't even like TFA but I'll never actually say that because I'm a shill and will watch anything with Star Wars in the title and claim it was pretty good at worst because Star Wars.

I see the points about Finn (true, doesn't resemble a stormtrooper upbringing - or janitor upbringing? I'm confused at how that works), but I still like him enough.

Han's character doesn't resemble the kind of guy who works as a smuggler for gangsters either, but we accept it because whatever, it's fun.

Utter claptrap!!

Normal people like the prequels. It's the uber hardcore fans who don't. Normal people don't care what nerds on the internet think and judge the movies on their own merit and tastes.

Nothing to do with how old you were. My mum watches them with the grandkids and she enjoys them. She falls into neither category and I reckon many other households are similar. All those dvds and blu-rays live somewhere you know.

I have to agree with LDH that you're a stuck record. Every time someone says something bad about TFA you start the prequel rhetoric in defence of it. TFA should stand up on its own. I personally like and enjoy it being a normal person. But the nerd in me could pick it apart if I wanted to. But that achieves nothing. People will like what they like.

Saying TFA is better than the films we know you love to hate doesn't make TFA great.

At Celebration Anaheim two years ago people were lining up hours in advance, then pushing and shoving their way into a theater, to the point where it started to feel a little dangerous and more security was needed, just to watch ROTS. A decade-old movie that supposedly everyone hates.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.