United, student loans, the internet, utilities, and you

Darth Ender

This whole United thing is fascinating to me on so many levels. Sure, we have all had bad service at one point or another, but it is usually just one person. Generally someone else in the organization at least tries to fix the problem. What fascinates me in this is that so many people could have put the breaks on this thing...but each level double-downed on the last person's poor judgement clear up to the CEO.

In other news, the Department of Education has a program that if you essentially commit yourself to 10 years of public service and make on-time payments for your loans, they will forgive the remaining balance. It is a win-win. The student gets a great education and the government gets educated individuals in high need positions. It turns out, many of the people that were accepted into this program were actually not.

I think it is only a matter of time before net neutrality is a thing of the past. The needs of the individual will yield to larger corporate interests. Corporations will pay to have better connection speeds forcing smaller businesses and individual voices and opinions to the side.

A friend of mine has a storefront business. The cable company drilled and hit the water line and flooded his business. The cable company refused to pay because the water line wasn't properly mapped, the water company refused to pay because they didn't cause the break, and his insurance refuse to pay because of reasons. Guess who had to pay out of pocket...

In all of these cases, the larger corporation is protected from their own shitty behavior and the individual is burdened and responsible for the consequences. I don't know what my point is or where I am going with this, but this whole United thing really pissed me off.

This whole United thing is fascinating to me on so many levels. Sure, we have all had bad service at one point or another, but it is usually just one person. Generally someone else in the organization at least tries to fix the problem. What fascinates me in this is that so many people could have put the breaks on this thing...but each level double-downed on the last person's poor judgement clear up to the CEO.

Or, let's say something crazy, the passenger shouldn't have blatantly broken the law and acted like a spoiled child throwing a tantrum. Airline security tells you that you need to leave an airplane, you goddam leave. You sure as hell don't struggle to the point where you're injured, force them to carry you out because you're dead-weighting security, start spouting off about how you're being profiled (thanks for the international incident), and then try to get away and re-board the plane.

Seriously, how is this different from the behavior of a 3 year old who doesn't want to leave the playground?

And here's something even crazier... the whole world could have taken in the context of the whole thing, realized that it actually wasn't that big of a deal, realized that even a potential deescalation mistake would have been made by airport security and not United, and not turned it into something to talk about to make themselves feel better through shared outrage because the CEO didn't do the usual thing and fall to his knees begging for forgiveness and start throwing employees under the bus because the internet was all up and arms.

People are going to lose jobs over this. Families are going to suffer. Save your outrage for something real. Not some idiot who will be well compensated for his atrocious behavior.

The fact that the airlines are already tolerated at best, and you have to know that all of your decisions have consequences. The fact that he was booted because the company is apparently incapable of properly planning for employee transportation, and the previous non-event regarding the leggings, and you are in for a shit storm.

United will be forgotten soon. I still need to fly and when that happens who ever gives me the cheapest seat get's my dollars. Just make sure you are not the last person to check in so you don't get bumped for a flight crew. Jebus. It's like those people who threw a snit over the girls wearing leggings for using a buddy pass on some other airline. Half our problems would be solved if we could read the fine print. Rules of carriage!

I used that student loan thing for my teaching degree. But my loans were small and I actually paid them off before the ten year mark. So uhm, it was kinda a weird waste but I love teaching at an inner city school. Gonna stick it out until I get my forty. Weirdly the school district I work for pays into Social Security with options for a 401K instead of a teacher's pension which is not the same for schools in other districts. I'm gonna gamble with my retirement through the government instead of the TEA's pension plan because the teachers pension invested in Madoff's scheme and many teachers got screwed.

It's always Delta for me when I fly to Atlanta and American to visit the Tucsonian's. I actually enjoyed Amtrak. So I'm thinking train trip in June.

My Dad was kinda pissed about Frontier Airlines. The fee for actually flying is cheap but he realized they get you with additional fees later like a bag fee, a seat fee, a boarding fee, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Flying sucks, but victims love to be victims and both victims and wanna be victims love to hear stories about victims, even those that deserve to be victims.

This is one of those stories that wouldn't even be a story if it weren't for the Internet and people's general outrage at everything.

It reminds me of all the cop shootings. Bottom line is that sometimes the perp was guilty, sometimes the cops, usually a bit of both.

The bigger question is whether this is an indictment on society or if it's been going on for years. If its the latter, what's the big deal? It's never going away. If its the former, how many tweets can one give to fix whatever problem they think exists? It's never going away.

HAHA! Newest airline freakout happens in San Francisco.

While it was terrible that a woman's baby was almost hit by the flight attendant I'm kind of desensitized to this type of video. There's a lot of people pushed to the brink every day and stuff like this happens not on a plane - if you get my drift - and we should all learn to be a little more courteous and mindful.

I know I absolutely dread flying with babies. The pressure changes in the cabin and tiny cramped spaces make me think, even if it takes two days to drive across America I'd rather do that than fly with a baby. I feel bad for parents who have to figure out this logistically because you don't want to be prisoners of your children all the time. I recently flew from Atlanta to Dallas with three babies and it was a chorus of crying the whole trip and you could feel the frustration level of the parents who couldn't calm a baby who's schedule had been interrupted so the parents can have a vacation or go to visit family.

All i can say is try and see it from all sides. Then stay home. It's better at home.

I've decided I don't give a shit anymore if my kids cry on the airplane. I'll do my best to soothe them because I'm their mom, but I'm not going to stress about everyone else's experience. It's life, kids cry. Fly first class if you can't handle being around other people.

That said, we're going to Hawaii next week, direct. Please sleep, please please please.

I'm probably the most patient about kids and babies. My ears bother me on flights too. but man, non-stop to hawaii with a threenager and Q? I dunno. First class for you with lots of beverages sounds good. If it's any consolation my friends that did this for Christmas said their kids slept all the way. They also mentioned the flight wasn't as full but I wonder about it being a holiday.

I read somewhere that the lady's stroller was not permitted because of it's size and they were going to check it. She just freaked out.

On my flight home after Christmas, there were two children from the same family right across the aisle from me in first class (I was only there due to my father having miles about to expire). Fortunately, they were really well behaved. That may or may not have had something to do with their father having served on the jury in the Scranton Strangler case. ;)

For me it's not the babies but actually the jerks that act like jerks about babies crying. Toddlers are probably my mortal enemy though. I've accidentally sat on one (Tripped on a purse strap that was in the aisle) and been in the seat in front of one who kicked the back of my seat incessantly for the flight and once i had one barf on me and I had sympathy barf back.

Your sympathy barf is pretty legendary. But toddlers do puke a lot.

I'm not saying let kids run amok on planes. I've sat in front of The Kicker before, it's not fun. I also don't let my kids do stuff like that, either.

Q is great on planes. Tablet, headphones, we're all good. Mr Threenager needs his car seat if he's going to behave, but he's still kind of a pill. Funny how kids get that the car seat means they have to stay put. We're potty training now, too. But now the kids have multiple tablets to choose from. I'm still going to need something alcoholic. Brad is all excited about Kona Longboard lager being on board, I'm excited about having some pog juice to mix with some rum or vodka! And beer with Ryn!

I think what annoys me most about it is the coverage of United and Delta's response to this. It reminds me too much of when an athlete does something or is supposed to have done something wrong and the morons on ESPN critique the way the apology is handled. It's all public relations and fluff. It sure as hell isn't news, and yet every story on the subject talks about "the airlines' response" to the controversy. Those lines should be deleted from every script that these talking heads mention because it's generated by the news networks. Stuff like that is why the whole "fake news" moniker got tossed back in their faces in the first place.

Brad is all excited about Kona Longboard lager being on board

Flying Alaska?

Of course! Honestly, Brad gets pissy now if I book on anyone else. We have the Alaska card and they fly any place we want to go direct, since Seattle is a hub. With the credit card and companion fare plus all the miles we've earned to buy the other 2 seats, we're taking everyone for about $800. Well worth the $75 annual fee. Usually we use our companion fare to go to Florida.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.