News You Can't Use

monkeygirl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Vetting internet based media is a big part of being a parent nowadays. I used to allow my kids to watch YouTube. We would find How To vids and Game guides, but once you start finding the quality versions of those things (and there are some) the YouTube algorithm for suggestions starts pumping your feed with all those type of videos which the TedTalk references. Managing the suggestions became such a chore, and then when my kids started making trollish sarcastic comments on vids (eg. ive Seen dumber and constipated llamas... yes, the constipated llamas comment is hilarious, real and one they liked to repeat... I dunno why.) Anyway, I decided to ban my kids from YouTube. It was tough for a bit, tougher in that some devices make it difficult to hide or delete YouTube. However the retraining to look for actual movies and shows (via things like Netflix, TV, or hard copies in our libraries) appears to be going well.

I just "Know Your Meme"ed "Constipated Llamas" and they don't know, either.

I may have to poll my boss's children to get to the bottom of what a constipated llama is beyond the obvious, because for some reason I need to know why that's a funny youtube comment.

And OH GOD it was hard enough to wean myself off of social media and retrain my brain to read books... having to parent kids on social media detox must be brutal.

I couldnt figure out the constipated llamas thing either. They are my kids though, so they may have just pulled that crazy right out of their heads.

One of the things I did to manage the retraining was to take their charge cables. This added a built in timer for video streaming, which was supposed to be through Netflix only at that point. It also added a layer of trust and consequence, being if I discovered YouTube was used when I charged the device then they didnt get it back for a day. Apparently the threat of losing access to their music was greater than the disappointment of not being able to use YouTube, because only one of them lost access for a day.

AW! They grow fast! I had parent teacher night Thursday and there were a lot of parents freaking out about how fast their kids are growing up and the things they have to watch out for. They were asking about what type of internet programs and games I used to help teach. Mostly I do some videos from YouTube (I have some English as a second language students).

• 2 weeks later...

Like, window units, or those big central air units? I can see window units, but those central air units are rather conspicuous, and most schools have such tight security...

And like, they cut the tree down, or they pulled it up roots and all? You have weird criminals in your area.

The kids planted it for Arbor Day last year. I came to school and there was a hole where it once was. It was the big air conditioning units. They cut back on security for budgetary reasons over the summer. Nearest guess is this was done sometime in July. HAHAHA. We had to wait 3 hot days for new air conditioners to be installed.

They should be looking at anyone who did maintenance work at the school over the summer. A traveling temp from out of town is the most likely suspect. Anybody who works construction knows to lock up everything and keep a close watch for the week before the travelers leave town. They tend to supplement their income by cutting thousands of dollars worth of equipment and material into hundreds of dollars worth of scrap.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.