Rogue One spliced with A New Hope

Good God a Bear

Trips travelling through lightspeed has, to me, always been an inconsistent part of Star Wars. Sometimes it feels almost immediate and other times you get the impression time has passed. Plus usually it feels like once a ship goes to lightspeed, it is gone. Like can't be tracked or followed in any way. However in this case it feels like Vader was able to follow the ship through hyperspace and come out of hyperspace at the exact same moment near Tatooine.

The gap in the films has to be the travel time for the Tantive from Scarif to Tatooine. How long is that? Seconds? Days? Is a Star Destroyer equally fast through hyperspace, or (presumably) faster? If faster, then the Imperials could've spent time searching the captured Alliance ships for intelligence. Perhaps there was a flight plan, or something, that pointed towards Tatooine as a next destination. The force or plain old luck may not have had anything to do with the Imperials catching up with Leia at Tatooine, and we would not have to give up the idea that ships can't be tracked through hyperspace.

Guest Robin

I think the films support the assumption that after a ship flees into hyperspace there is some measure of downtime because of the uncertainty of the vessels destination etc. I think there could be a day's time more or less before the Empire picks up the Tantive again.

Putting together those scenes actually does more harm than good. It exposes some things that are just hard to ignore.

First off, ANH was always the movie that showed its age. Even scenes on the Tantive have an "old" look to them, and don't mesh well with the R1 scenes.

Second, John Williams score even sticks out for how old it sounds. Rouge One's soundtrack might not have been stellar, but the final act truly stands out and captured the mood of what is going on.

Lastly, we now know that the Death Star plans were never transmitted to the Tantive itself. While it doesn't ruin the movie or scene for me, it does make you gonna"hold on a second".

Lastly, we now know that the Death Star plans were never transmitted to the Tantive itself. While it doesn't ruin the movie or scene for me, it does make you gonna"hold on a second".

There are enough problems in the ANH script alone here. First they talk about the plans being "intercepted" which implies that an Empire-to-Empire transmission was hijacked. Then later Vader says "beamed directly to this ship", so "received" not "intercepted"?

Also not sure if Leia's lie makes any sense. If she's an Imperial senator from Alderaan. Why is she on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan?

Also not sure if Leia's lie makes any sense. If she's an Imperial senator from Alderaan. Why is she on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan?
it also seems weird that she would le to him considering they seemed to know each other so well. Vader says he knows she wasn't on any ​mercy mission this time. Makes me wonder what their previous encounters could have been like

I've always gotten the impression that the Devastator had been hunting/tracking Tantive IV for some time before catching up to it over Tatooine. Rogue One never really gave me reason to change that, since we don't really know what happened between the launch of Tantive IV from the Profundity and its' eventual interception over Tatooine. As for the discrepancies in the dialogue, it again just reiterates that we don't know what happened during the chase, nor does Vader and the Empire really know how the plans got to be on board in the first place. Considering how quickly Vader and Tarkin appeared over Scarif, were they immediately informed that a transmission was made from the planet to the Profundity? Plus Vader could have been thinking about the Profundity instead of Tantive IV when he mentioned the transmissions being beamed aboard the ship, meaning that the plans were already on board when it launched rather than having to be physically transferred. The only hole in my current theory is the fact that the desperate hand off occurred right in front of Vader, and what else could they have been so willing to sacrifice themselves over to make sure it got on board?

Also, I find it hard to believe that there was no hard-line data connection between the two vessels when Tantive IV was docked, or even a wireless connection. Jeez, Rebels, do you even WiFi.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.