Iron Fist

Driver

I think this was a slow burner meant to setup Defenders. There were little nuggets but I felt two things coming away from this as I finally finished it tonight. Madam Gao had a set up for the next thing to happen in the grouped series - that is Defenders - that took forever to build on (Why was she in a room by herself and why did Danny think the secret Hand training complex looked famiilar?) The other part I took away is I felt the directing was off like they spent their wad on the previous stories and now they didn't have enough to make this interesting or well directed. They could have built on Danny's old rap music for battle kung fu scenes as the music in Luke Cage was nice set dressing and made Danny less of a prissy jerk always apologizing. Being raised by Monk's should not make you stupid. He just spun from one weird thing to another without much purpose. Danny's character is terrible.

I think the problem was it rushed into production without proper planning to ensure it was out before the Defenders. The other three are HBO material, this feels closer to something like Arrow. Whereas the makers of Arrow are specifically targeting their audience, I don't think the makers of Iron Fist had any idea who they were making this for.

Finn Jones said he was cast only 3 weeks before they started filming and only had like 20 minutes to practice each fight scene. I guess it's no wonder it came out as mediocre as it did. I just don't get how they let that happen, IF was planned a long time ago like the other series. How did this one fall so far behind?

Most of the Marvel shows have lost a showrunner before hooting started, and in DareDevil's case they fired the entire staff. I didn't follow Iron Fist closely, but to be honest, we're lucky the shows have been as good as they've been considering how turbulent they've been behind the scenes. It seems like all things considered there was a set time for The Defenders to be delivered and Iron Fist had X amount of time to be made with no wiggle room.

If they had any of the trouble DD or JJ had, they could have been scrambling.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought this was the weakest of all the showings on Netflix so far. This was the entry point to the Netflix Marvel universe for my girlfriend and I've never seen someone roll their eyes so often. I think a lot of the problems with this series was Danny's character.

What were his motivations? Why did he leave Kung Lau? Why not address that straight away?

Why was his power level so erratic from episode to episode. One episode he's an untouchable Matrix type, next episode he's getting his ass handed to him by some schlub in a mobile shipping container.

Why did they water down the Hand from what we saw in Daredevil - ninjas who can control their heartbeat and scale buildings who dug mysterious holes in the ground - to Ironfist's School for Gifted Douchebags?

Finally, the elephant in the room. Is Danny essentially a teenager trapped in a mans body? Did being in the mountains all those years stunt his emotional growth or did we just have a terrible actor - either way make a story decision to excuse either.

Guest Robin

My wife and I just finished Iron Fist. We started watching the weekend it released in March... yeah, the series mostly sucks.

Key Pros;

Rosario Dawson

Madame Gao

Ward's subplot

Carrie-Anne Moss

Well, I guess it's an Iron Fist TV series.

Key Cons;

Danny is dumb.

Danny is emotionally unstable.

Danny is really dumb.

OMG Danny is so dumb.

Well, I guess it's an Iron Fist TV series.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two episodes in, so far it's an improvement over season 1, which is a pretty low bar to clear. I still wish someone would mail the writers' room a stack of Elmore Leonard novels or David Mamet screenplays so they'll learn how to make conversations shorter and less boring. I'm finding myself multi-tasking to pass the time and have to rewind whenever I realize I've missed a plot point.

Also, the new showrunner was a key writer on the later seasons of Sleepy Hollow, so my expectations are not enthusiastic.

On the upside, I'm thrilled there're only 10 episodes, and happy Ward is back and probably about to get used as the show's chief punching bag again.

• 1 month later...

Shame but not surprising. The second season was a LOT better and I'm glad that Collen ended up where she was because she was a whole lot more interesting than Danny...but the first season was such a shambles I don't really blame people for never checking out the second season (only finished it tonight myself)

I honestly dont think Disney care that much about either property to care. I think Netflix are just done spending so much on the shows with Disney bringing out their own streaming service. I wouldnt be surprised if Netflix cut off the rest of them once their respective seasons are out.

The new season of Daredevil doesnt seem to be getting much promotion from Netflix, usually its front and centre but Ive had to search for it just to get the new eps.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.