Iron Fist

Driver

I wasn't disappointed. Like others, I thought it was the weakest of the set so far, but that doesn't mean I thought it was bad. I quite enjoyed it, it's just that DD and JJ have set very high bars, is all.

Loved the fights in the 6th episode, it had an almost 'A Game of Death' feel to it.

Done.

It was.... okay. All my initial complaints held. It just never grabbed me. It was terrible-- but it was just okay. And like every single other Netflix/Marvel show it feels divided in that the first half seems planned, and the second half is made up on the fly. I didn't love what they turned the hand into, definitely demystified them from how they were in Daredevil.

As cool as it was seeing Claire there as the one who is going to unite the Defenders, I felt really bummed we didn't see Colleen giving private lessons to Misty Knight.

And why was Davos a British Indian?

And why was Davos a British Indian?

Probably because part of the Himalayas is in Nepal, and I've worked with a lot of Gurkhas, some of whom look a lot more South Asian than Oriental. Plus the British have long had a presence in the region, so it's not that far fetched. Then again, I say this without actually knowing anything about the comic book version of Davos (assuming he has one?).

Guest Robin

I stopped watching at episode 6, if that was the poorly done game of death homage anyway. I will finish it, but I'm really meh. I'm sure the show has issues, most agree on them, but I think I've ruined this by imagining what could be before it aired. I love Iron Fist and Luke and Doctor Strange and all the mystical Marvel stuff. This series reminds me of how I felt as I was watching The Phantom Menace; it's good too see all this but...

I hated Ward at first. I thought he was a terrible actor, but by the end I realized he was the best thing on the show.

I thought the same thing. He was super unlikable at first but as the show has gone on, I feel sorry for him. I feel like the arc with him, Joy and their father is a lot more interesting than Dannys'.

Finished it. The prequel comparison was dead on, this was dreadfully written and had absolutely no direction or point to it at all. Hopefully first episode of Defenders they hopefully get rid of Rand and just give the Iron Fist to Colleen Wing. Jessica Henwick was the only real highlight of this thing.

Rankings so far is first season Daredevil>Luke Cage>Second Season Daredevil>Jessica Jones>Iron Fist.

RZA directed an episode of Iron Fist and I think they had the best kung fu scenes and set ups. The first fights in other episodes didn't feel right. Slow pacing is kinda making it easier for me to put aside seeing Iron Fist in one binge.

I think it failed cause it's not really about anything. All the other shows had some deeper high concept stuff working behind the obvious story that elevated it. Daredevil is about our failed justice system, Luke Cage is about institutional racism, Jessica Jones was about abuse, Iron Fist is about... what?

I've heard people say it's about our disdain and dismissal of mental health, but the problem with that idea is that Danny isn't crazy-- people just assume he is. Luke was stuck in a racist prison system, Jessica was a victim of abuse, Matt was fighting and failing to protect the little guy in court.

Danny just needed for people to believe him.

If that was their angle, and he came back to New York with amnesia, and thought maybe Kun Lun HAD been some weird coma dream and he wasn't sure if he was sane... maybe...

Guest Robin

I like the amnesia, uncertain reality angle that Driver posted about. If they did that with some Thru the Looking Glass trips into super medicated dreamstates then this series could have been truly something. "Crouching Tiger over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Much later edit in: I just realized this idea is essentially that Zack Snyder film Sucker Punch. Ugh. Blarf.

Much much later edit in: Probably would have been a great episode at least though, 'specially if they had allowed Danny to be a bit loosey goosey Zen in persona.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.