Vader's burnt up helmet

Filthy Jawa

Maybe I'm late to the party, but I just got to thinking about the backstory of how Kylo got Vader's helmet (cuz they must have written one). I mean, I guess Luke kept it after RotJ and then somehow young Ben was made aware of it (and the whole history of his grandfather) and then he swiped it as a trophy when he defected.

I kind of quickly and loosely auto-filled that the first times I watched the movie, but as I think about it now it's sort of interesting to me that Luke would keep it. I guess as a reminder of how easy it can be to fall to the dark side(?)

Just one of those things that you don't necessarily think much about at first, but when you do, it starts to give some texture to the film.

Back in 1997 Star Wars Galaxy magazine had an issue devoted to Vader. In it there was a short story titled The Emperor's Trophy that described Vader recovering Luke’s lightsaber along with the severed hand and taking them to the Emperor. It was excellently written from Vader's point-of-view. He described feeling like he was surrendering his own hand to the Emepror when handing him Luke’s and had to resist the urge to flex his right hand when the Emperor was beaming at his new trophy that he planned to add to his collection. It would make a good tale that would explain how it came to Maz. The Emperor kept it as a trophy and when the Empire fell there were looters and scavengers who would break into and steal stuff from various collections Palpatine had throughout the galaxy. Somehow over time through Maz's black market dealings it ended up with her.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.