Horizon: Zero Dawn

Link

This game is pretty amazing. I liked the looks of it at first due to the large mechanical dinosaur looking beasts in a post-apocalyptic setting, but it is so much more than that. The story is intriguing, the characters believable and well acted, and the environments are epically beautiful. I've barely even cracked into it and can hardly put it down. I've already experienced so much wonder, yet feel there's much more to behold. I can't wait to see what danger and wonders await around every corner. The combat is fluid and exciting. Like many games, you have an option between stealth and heavy combat styles. I never mind when I accidentally break stealth during a mission, though, or when hunting, since either method of dispatching foes is equally satisfying. 10/10

Agree about this game being amazing! I was surprised to see it delivered when I got home Friday as Amazon said it wouldn't be in stock until the 16th when I purchased it.

Such a pretty game and I love sneaking around and setting traps for the creatures. It reminds me a lot of the Mass Effect games with the dialogue choices but I don't know if they make any difference to the story based on your replies?

I thought so, otherwise why have them?

One thing I would have liked to be able to do is set traps on creatures you've downed. They had this in the last Tomb Raider where you could set traps that would go off when someone else would investigate. Unless this is in the game and I haven't unlocked it yet, I haven't gotten that far.

Just based on what I've encountered, it seems like our dialogue choices at the very least affect your reputation and how people respond to you. Since it's only my first playthrough, I'm not sure how it might affect the outcome of the story. I'm not nearly to the end, though. It may be more obvious as the story goes on.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought so, otherwise why have them?

One thing I would have liked to be able to do is set traps on creatures you've downed. They had this in the last Tomb Raider where you could set traps that would go off when someone else would investigate. Unless this is in the game and I haven't unlocked it yet, I haven't gotten that far.

There are some bird creatures that will swoop down and take an enemy you're killed. They would be prime for a bomb trap.

I need to get back into this game. I love it. About 10 hours into it. FF14 takes up all my gaming time though.

I have a friend trying to get me into FF14. It looks good but I don't think I would have the time, plus I don't want to add another monthly fee. :|

• 5 weeks later...

I feel bad, between wildlands and Mass Effect, this game got benched at my house...

That's just wrong; Wildlands isn't all that great. I'm just glad that I got if for free when I purchased my EVGA GTX 1080 Classified.

I'm still messing around with Horizon. There's just so much to explore and do.

Yes and no. As you up your attack skills and get better weapons, yes. But honestly, at level 32, only Watchers, Scrappers, and the herd machines are easy kills. Everything else is still tough.

It's almost always a battle of attrition. You really have to exploit machine weaknesses with the right kind of ammo. Generally, on harder machines my process is to first use tear weapons to strip components off targets, starting with any offensive weapon.

If they drop a weapon you can use, always go grab it.

After that, exploit their weakness. Fire ammo tends to work best unless they take strength from it as they take burn damage on top of impact damage. Always aim for fuel tanks if possible.

Generally if you hit them with whatever they are weak against they will seize up once you fill the element damage meter. When they get still, bombard them if the are big. If they are low on health or a mid-sized machine go in for melee attacks.

Always keep moving and rolling on the ground. If there are rocks, go for the high ground, if there is deep water dive in. Half of the machines won't be able to follow.

All that said, even doing everything right, big ones will still need to be chipped away at. Rockcrushers, Thunderjaws, and Corruptors always take forever to take down.

The easiest ones for me so far were the Snapmaws and the Deathbringer. Snapmaws because they were stupid and went down quick with fire arrows, and Deathbringer because I was able to hide behind rocks the whole time.

Make use of the ropecaster against larger machines. Effectively takes them out of the fight for a time. I like to tie down Thunderjaws and hit them with frost damage, then lay into them with hardpoint arrows at the weak points (in their heart if exposed, double/tripple shot if you have the skill). Don't even bother with the disk launchers most of the time, but they can be fun for ending a fight quickly. The tearblast arrows are crucial to ripping off those armor plates or weapon components that give them the edge in battle. It's very satisfying to watch them get weaker and weaker through the course of the fight as more components are knocked loose before collapsing into a pile of sparking debris.

I don't think I've even used the ropecaster! Probably would have been good to use during the fight against the two Corrupters when I was tracking down Olin. I'll have to look up the tearblast arrows, all I have are default and fire.

• 4 weeks later...

I need to get back into this game. I love it. About 10 hours into it. FF14 takes up all my gaming time though.

I have a friend trying to get me into FF14. It looks good but I don't think I would have the time, plus I don't want to add another monthly fee. :|

It's so good. Ridiculously good. The story is top notch.

I think I have ADD when it comes to playing games! I can't stay with one for long. I was playing this a lot but decided to jump back into Skyrim since I never finished the main story, never mind the DLCs. And oh, Fallout 4 was on sale for $20, so I went and got that. So far only a couple hours in but I'm liking it so far. Ugh! I don't know how people manage to get through some of these games so fast, it takes me forever to play through one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.