Great American Eclipse

The next eclipse in 2024 will cut straight through Ohio, and my kids will be old enough to be excited. We may have to go a little west for it, depending on the exact track, but I'd be okay with that.

My son's going to be almost 11 when that happens. Eek.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Destiny, I am not sure what to say but I am very sorry to have read about what you've been through recently and what is still going on. However things turn out, I sincerely hope for the best possible outcome.

Thanks, Chalup. I appreciate the sentiment.

It wasn't the madhouse I was expecting at all. My dad thinks the high clouds forecast might've made people head to western Nebraska instead. It was looking good and then 30 minutes before totality, the clouds rolled in. I said let's go, but Dad wanted to wait it out and then it became apparent it wasn't going to happen, so we got on the road to get as far south as we could. We were only about 20 miles north of where Bill Nye was. We made it about 10 miles and pulled over to enjoy what we could. Obviously not as dramatic as we hoped, but still neat. Like the fastest sunset I've ever seen. In retrospect, we should've hit the road when I said we should go. Oh well. My dad is so bummed.

Actually thinking about heading Brando's way in 2024. Our friends who live in the Columbus area (the wedding I was there for back in 2009) said we can crash with them. My dad is planning on booking multiple campsites and being flexible the night before.

Aw. I'm sorry Destiny and I'll send good thoughts for your Mom.

Last Friday (we started school last week) I had the kids make cereal box viewers and I had a whole lesson that was outside for science and learning. I worked with the library to get some resources and we did this thing where the kids moved balls of appropriate sizing to represent planets of the solar system and our moon and sun in a big grassy area new the San Antonio river. I think the kids had fun and learned and some parents came out. It was only partial for us here in San Antonio but we talked about shadows and how animals might be confused by the sun's change and looked for coronas which are called shadow snakes as were also able to get a guy with special filters to come down with a telescope and let the kids look.

My parents and uncle went to Carbondale, IL Monday. My uncle is an amateur photographer and got some pretty neat pics. Nothing you haven't seen elsewhere at this point but still pretty cool.

One noteworthy one, to me, was this one, in which Venus is visible on the left side just north of center.

20992859_1641194685905365_80722271575931

We had a great time, didn't have any traffic to deal with, and the skies were perfectly clear!

It's cliche, but there's really no way to really fully explain what it's like. It was so insane to see the light and color slowly dim for about 45 minutes until totality. It was also nuts to see the crescent finally disappear while looking at it with eclipse glasses, then to finally look up and see a glowing black orb in the sky. It was so otherworldy and intense that my group started tearing up.

It has all worked out sweet around here. The eclipse was awesome. The people were plentiful, but spread out and prepared. There was a big rush of people heading out right after the eclipse that plugged the roads up, but they came in over a few weeks and there were quite a few that stuck around to see the sights. I still see more out of state plates than locals on my commute.

The whole time up until the total eclipse I kept thinking about how much light you still perceive when the sun is mostly covered, it had probably 70% of it's surface covered before I could notice a real drop in illumination. How weird it would have been if you didn't know there was going to be an eclipse. I noticed the temperature drop long before I could really notice the lighting difference. I can see how it would have been truly frightening to the unaware throughout history who couldn't even look at the sun to see what was going on.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.